Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 05:41 AM

77,770 posts, read 105,245,024 times

Advertisements

wow, some sure look like they would fit right into our menu some night or day soon. Here is the one I decided on. It was given to me, by a fried at work about 35 years ago. I had so much summer squash in the garden and didn't know what to do with it. She came up with this one and I tweeked it a bit. I am posting the m version.

SUMMER SQUASH CASSEROLE

4 med large squash; any kind: sliced
1 large onion: sliced
2 jalapenos; most seeds removed and dices very small
2 tablespoons of butter
1 package corn meal dressing (6ounce)
1/2 pack of ranch dressing
1 small jar of artichoke hearts (drained)
1 can mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup grated cheese (any kind you like)
1/2 cup white wine

place the onions, squash and jalapenos in a large skillet with the butter. Brown,stirring a few times. after about 4 minutes remove from burner and set aside.

In a very large bowl add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Add the squash mixture and continue mixing. Grease a large casserole dish. Place the mixture in the casserole dish, and heat for about 30 minutes in 350 degree oven. We love this and so do others. It is great to take to a summer pot luck. We did just that on Sunday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 07:43 AM

50,538 posts, read 64,549,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magicshark View Post
There are a few recipes in this thread I NEED to try!

I have had my eye on this recipe for awhile. I really need to get off my lazy behind and try it. It is Oysters Rockefeller from Fannie Farmer's Boston Cooking School Cookbook ninth edition circa 1951.

2 dozen large oysters on half shell.
Stalks and tips from 3 green onions
1/4 cup chopped celery
1 teaspoon minced chervil
1 teaspoon minced tarragon leaves
3 sprigs parsley
1/2 cup spinach
1 cup butter
1/8 cup soft bread crumbs
Salt and pepper
Few drops Tabasco, Worcestershire and anchovy sauces.

Chop greens fine. Add crumbs. Season to taste. Pound in a mortar and cream with butter. Force through a sieve.
Arrange oysters in a large pan on a bed of damp rock salt(which retains the heat well). Put 1 tablespoon butter mixture on each.
Bake at 450° untill brown. Serves 6.
Fanny Farmer paperback was the first cookbook I ever got, in 1966. Not sure which version, but it’s a great basic cookbook.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:02 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,825,932 times
OK, this is from my oldest cookbook ca. 1963. We have this at least once a month.

BAKED SHORT RIBS from “Favorite Recipes of California Winemakers”, from Paul Masson Vineyards

2 lbs English-cut short ribs
2 T flour
½ tsp paprika
1 tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
2 cups California burgundy or other red dinner wine
I clove garlic, diced

Roll ribs in flour seasoned with paprika, salt and pepper. Brown in hot fat. Place ribs in casserole; add wine and garlic. Cover and bake in 300˚ oven 2 1/2 hours or until tender.

Old 08-14-2018, 12:51 PM

12,200 posts, read 8,597,341 times
This is a recipe from "Favorite Recipes of our Minnesota Legislators and Supreme Court Justices," a cookbook my dad gave me in1977. My dad was a thoughtful gift giver and loved to give food-related gifts.

Gretchen Sieben, wife of Representative Mike Sieben from Newport, MN calls it "Big Dutch Babies" but you may know it as pannekoek.

It was a favorite of my son's when he was growing up, quick and easy with ingredients usually on hand. Yet it always looked like I had done something special for him - which was the purpose, yes?

Big Dutch Babies

To serve two (or one growing boy) a two-three quart size cast iron skillet. Melt 1/4C butter in pan in 425 degree oven. Mix in blender three eggs for one minute. Gradually add 3/4 C. milk and then slowly 3/4 C. flour, a pinch of salt. Blend thirty seconds.

Pour into sizzling hot pan with butter and bake until puffy and well-browned. About twenty minutes. Serve with powdered sugar and a dash of nutmeg.

I liked to put half a can or more of pie filling in the skillet with the butter - blueberry or apple - and pour the batter over the top. You can also serve a fruit compote on the side.

Old 08-14-2018, 04:13 PM

21,026 posts, read 28,647,219 times
The smart cookies cope book: when I was in elementary school the mom's all put out this cook book. It's from the 1970's.

Sausage Roll (my mom's recipe)

1 Pkg frozen pizza dough thawed out
1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1 red or green bell pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 minced garlic clove
1 Tbsp Olive oil

Let sough sit at room temperature for about 1 hour. Brown sausage in oil, add onion, chopped bell pepper and garlic
and cook until tender. Work dough into a rectangle. Spread evenly with sausage mixture and roll lengthwise, like a jelly roll. Seal edge and brush with oil. Twist roll into a horseshoe shape. Sprinkle top with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees. My mom doubles this recipe and uses 2 pizza dough's and double of the sausage mixture.

Cream cheese cranberry mold (also my mom's recipe)

2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
2 Tbsp. Mayo
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 pound whole cranberries
1/2 pt. heavy whipping cream (whipped)
8 ounce can crushed pineapple drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 aluminum disposable loaf pans (small)
With an electric mixer blend the first 3 ingredients. add fruit and nuts. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into 2 small loaf pans. Cover with foil and freeze. to serve: remove from freezer, pull sides of pan away. allow to stand for a few minutes. unmold onto a plate on a bed of lettuce, slice and serve.

This may not sound appetizing but I have had it many years ago and it's pretty good. I might make it one day

Old 08-14-2018, 04:20 PM

21,026 posts, read 28,647,219 times
Tuna spinach Au gratin
1 large can tuna in water drained and flaked (white albacore)
1/3 cup bread crumbs
1 10-oz package of frozen chopped spinach cooked and drained.
2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1/2 cup mayo

Blend first six ingredients and fold in the Mayo. Spread in a shallow casserole dish. Sprinkle with additional grated cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes.

This recipe courtesy of my brother's kindergarten teacher. Not sure if I would like this.

Old 08-14-2018, 08:37 PM

16,195 posts, read 21,364,912 times
Ok, I didn't feel like typing the recipe so I cheated. This is from Lily Wallace American cook, 1942. My dad got it from his mom, my brother got it from my dad, and I went online and bought a 1950 copy for myself.
These peanut butter cookies are my most favorite cookie recipe, it uses milk and it really makes a difference IMO. The owners handwritten notes on the opposite page brings back fond memories of poring through dad's old cookbook, it was full of notes in it just like that.
Attached Thumbnails
Here’s a challenge: Post a recipe from a cookbook you own, the older the better, no internet recipes allowed.-peanutbuttercookies.jpg  

Last edited by DubbleT; 08-14-2018 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-THE-NEW-AMERICAN-COOK-BOOK-LILY-HAXWORTH-WALLACE-1942-HC/292667243978?hash=item442453bdca&_nkw=w

Old 08-15-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Ok, I didn't feel like typing the recipe so I cheated. This is from Lily Wallace American cook, 1942. My dad got it from his mom, my brother got it from my dad, and I went online and bought a 1950 copy for myself.
These peanut butter cookies are my most favorite cookie recipe, it uses milk and it really makes a difference IMO. The owners handwritten notes on the opposite page brings back fond memories of poring through dad's old cookbook, it was full of notes in it just like that.
Totally fine, Dubble. It’s very easy to read.

Old 08-15-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
The smart cookies cope book: when I was in elementary school the mom's all put out this cook book. It's from the 1970's.

Sausage Roll (my mom's recipe)

1 Pkg frozen pizza dough thawed out
1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casing removed
1 red or green bell pepper chopped
1 medium onion chopped
1 minced garlic clove
1 Tbsp Olive oil

Let sough sit at room temperature for about 1 hour. Brown sausage in oil, add onion, chopped bell pepper and garlic
and cook until tender. Work dough into a rectangle. Spread evenly with sausage mixture and roll lengthwise, like a jelly roll. Seal edge and brush with oil. Twist roll into a horseshoe shape. Sprinkle top with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake 35-40 minutes at 375 degrees. My mom doubles this recipe and uses 2 pizza dough's and double of the sausage mixture.

Cream cheese cranberry mold (also my mom's recipe)

2 8 ounce packages of cream cheese
2 Tbsp. Mayo
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 pound whole cranberries
1/2 pt. heavy whipping cream (whipped)
8 ounce can crushed pineapple drained
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 aluminum disposable loaf pans (small)
With an electric mixer blend the first 3 ingredients. add fruit and nuts. Fold in whipped cream. Pour into 2 small loaf pans. Cover with foil and freeze. to serve: remove from freezer, pull sides of pan away. allow to stand for a few minutes. unmold onto a plate on a bed of lettuce, slice and serve.

This may not sound appetizing but I have had it many years ago and it's pretty good. I might make it one day
Libby, was the sausage roll a main dish, or can you slice it for appetizers? It sounds good.

Old 08-15-2018, 02:15 PM

12,227 posts, read 21,602,576 times
In keeping with my San Diego theme, here is a recipe from my 1984 cookbook called Padre Pickin's -- recipes from the San Diego Padres coaches and players. Of course the players were from all over the country and that is reflected in the cookbook. I am typing out recipes from two Hall of Famers.

Here is Goose Gossage's recipe for Sloppy Joes.

1 1/2 lb. hamburger
2 T mustard, or more to taste
4 T ketchup
1 can chicken gumbo soup (10 oz.)
  1. Brown and drain the hamburger.
  2. Add mustard and ketchup and let brown a little.
  3. Add can of gumbo soup and let simmer for approx 20 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
  4. Green peppers and onions may also be added if desired.

Tony Gwynn's Stuffed Shrimp

2 lbs. extra large fresh jumbo shrimp
1/2 lb. fresh mushrooms, sliced
2 1/4 c. butter (!!!)
1/2 lb. swiss cheese slices, halved
Paprika and salt
  • Devein shrimp and wash, pat dry.
  • Season with paprika and salt to taste.
  • Take shrimp and slit from top end to bottom, making sure not to slice through.
  • Place cheese in slit of each shrimp, then add mushrooms.
  • Melt 1/4 c. of the butter and pour on top of shrimp sparingly.
  • Place the rest of the butter in bottom of casserole dish and bake covered at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, or to your satisfaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes