Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2021, 07:58 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times

Advertisements

'Tis the season!

Share your favorite recipes to include in gifts.

Here's my husband's favorite:
See's Bordeaux copycat recipe
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup whipping cream
1 teaspoon instant coffee
pinch salt
2 cups sifted powdered sugar
12 ounces dark chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
Using a heavy bottom saucepan, melt butter and brown sugar together over medium high heat and bring to boil. Allow to boil for about two minutes.
Mix together cream, instant coffee, and salt, add to pot, and allow to come to a boil again for about 30 seconds while stirring constantly to avoid scorching. Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes. Add sifted powdered sugar to mixture and stir in well until a consistent dough is formed. Chill until mixture holds shape similar to play dough, about 2 hours.
Roll sugar dough into 2-inch balls and set on a wax paper lined sheet. Freeze for about 10 minutes for easier dipping.
Melt chocolate and butter at 50% power in 1 minute increments in microwave, stirring after each minute, until melted.
Dip candy balls into melted chocolate and allow to set on the wax paper. Either sprinkle with chocolate cake sprinkles or pipe a very thin stream of chocolate on top, if desired.
Store in airtight container. Can freeze.

From https://selfproclaimedfoodie.com/copycat-sees-bordeaux/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2021, 10:06 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
This week I'll be making my mom's butterscotch for gifting. I've searched high and low for wrapping papers but there are none to be had that I've found at present. So they will have to be wrapped in waxed paper. But I do have cute little cellophane bags to tuck them into.

My recipe uses similar ingredients - the white and brown sugar, butter, cream, corn syrup (yup) and a pinch of salt. Boil until firm ball stage.

My dentist and staff and doctor and staff will be getting blondie bars with dried cranberries, white chocolate and nuts.

the next door neighbor got kringla, a Norwegian Christmas cookie. The other neighbor friends will get cranberry orange bread.

And our closest friends will get a loaf of Bishop's bread loaded with dried fruits and various nuts.

I used to share mixed cookie trays but now I don't know how I found the time to do that with two childlren and a job!

In years past I have also gifted my dad's chocolate fudge and key lime macadamia nut fudge.

Old 12-06-2021, 12:10 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Not cookies, but I give away my home canned foods: jams, salsas, relishes, sauces, etc. I preserve a lot more during the growing season than I will use.

My fruitcake recipe makes 2 large loaves and 2 mini loaves, so the mini loaves become gifts.

And not homemade, but ... For my sister's family, I buy multiple boxes of the locally produced Sweetzel's Spiced Wafers, and wrap them in a box with a packet of Yahtzee score cards or other goodies for the whole family.

https://www.sweetzels.com/spiced-wafers

Old 12-16-2021, 11:31 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,408,910 times
Two candies I'd like to try before Sunday and if they turn out I'll put some on my cookie trays.

One is whole almonds coated in bittersweet chocolate and dusted with unsweetened dark cocoa powder. They are $16. a pound here!

The other is cashew butter crunch. I have my trusty candy thermometer and my fingers crossed.

Old 12-16-2021, 12:41 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Not cookies, but I give away my home canned foods: jams, salsas, relishes, sauces, etc. I preserve a lot more during the growing season than I will use.

My fruitcake recipe makes 2 large loaves and 2 mini loaves, so the mini loaves become gifts.

And not homemade, but ... For my sister's family, I buy multiple boxes of the locally produced Sweetzel's Spiced Wafers, and wrap them in a box with a packet of Yahtzee score cards or other goodies for the whole family.

https://www.sweetzels.com/spiced-wafers
Gosh I wish I lived in Ohio, because I for one would thoroughly appreciate gifts of homemade canned goods. Yours sound delish! When I lived in a four season country in Europe, the whole family would get together seasonally for canning the latest harvest. We did tomato sauce and ketchup, apricot jam, strawberry preserves, raspberry jam, plum lekvar, whole and sliced peaches, pickled gherkins, mixed pickle with cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, etc., pickled red peppers stuffed with shredded cabbage, hot peppers, even pickled baby watermelons (at the end of the season, whatever hadn't grown into a full fruit was harvested, quartered, and pickled). I think we also pickled some "green" walnuts one year.

Living in a tiny 2 bedroom bungalow in an urban jungle takes the wallop out of such time consuming (and counter space-requiring) activities.

This Christmas is going to be lean, lots of unexpected expenses the last few months. I'll probably be baking most everyone's gifts this time around.

Old 12-16-2021, 02:00 PM

2,203 posts, read 5,083,729 times
We had these every Christmas when I was growing up. So yummy!

Rum Balls
Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 75 wafers)
1 cup ground pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
1/4 cup rum
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
Additional confectioners' sugar or crushed vanilla wafers

Directions:

Directions
Mix together wafer crumbs, pecans, confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Combine rum, honey and water; stir into crumb mixture. Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in additional confectioners' sugar or wafer crumbs. Store in an airtight container.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:32 PM

10,890 posts, read 7,376,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
We had these every Christmas when I was growing up. So yummy!

Rum Balls
Ingredients:

2-1/2 cups crushed vanilla wafers (about 75 wafers)
1 cup ground pecans
1 cup confectioners' sugar
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons baking cocoa
1/4 cup rum
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons water
Additional confectioners' sugar or crushed vanilla wafers

Directions:

Directions
Mix together wafer crumbs, pecans, confectioners' sugar and cocoa. Combine rum, honey and water; stir into crumb mixture. Shape into 1-in. balls. Roll in additional confectioners' sugar or wafer crumbs. Store in an airtight container.

Thanks for the recipe! Mom used to make these, but I lost the recipe.
I even have all the ingredients on hand.

Old 12-16-2021, 06:54 PM

Rum balls are the best! I also make them with bourbon, brandy, or this year I'm going to try Fireball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We did tomato sauce and ketchup, apricot jam, strawberry preserves, raspberry jam, plum lekvar, whole and sliced peaches, pickled gherkins, mixed pickle with cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, etc., pickled red peppers stuffed with shredded cabbage, hot peppers, even pickled baby watermelons (at the end of the season, whatever hadn't grown into a full fruit was harvested, quartered, and pickled). I think we also pickled some "green" walnuts one year.
That's quite a list! Wow! I need to branch out.

Old 12-17-2021, 02:14 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,420,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Rum balls are the best! I also make them with bourbon, brandy, or this year I'm going to try Fireball.

That's quite a list! Wow! I need to branch out.
I love to make rum balls for the holidays!! I almost forgot about them. I bought chocolate vermicelli to roll the balls in too. Last time I made these, I got loads of appreciation from those I gifted a box to.

Old 12-17-2021, 07:33 PM

I'm afraid to ask - because if they're chocolate I'll probably love them - but what are chocolate vermicelli?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes