Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2022, 06:12 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times

Advertisements

They never have to clean up!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2022, 06:32 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It irks me severely when they never scrape the bowls or pots and if it doesn't pour out with no effort, I guess it just gets thrown out.
I stopped watching the Pioneer Woman, because she NEVER SCRAPES THE BOWL!! Drives me nuts.

Different shows are annoying for different reasons. I rarely watch any shows on the Food Channel anymore, because they aren’t instructional about cooking. They’re more about gimmicks.The only one I’ll watch sometimes is Ina Garten.

Martha Stewart has the personality of a box of rocks, but her pre prison show was my favorite. It was quiet perfection....not only about cooking, but about home keeping.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:13 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
I watch a lot, a LOT, of cooking shows. I think some of you are forgetting the "TV aspect" of these shows.

Of course everything is prepped in advance. Do you really want to watch them peel & chop five cloves of garlic?

Why would they scrape a bowl? Again, it's TV, they show us the how it goes together, the ingredients, the mixing. We don't need to see them scrape bowls. And we especially don't need to see them clean up, @nuts2. Viewers would just FF through it.

Another thing to remember is most cooking shows already have whatever is being prepared finished in the oven. So if they show us how to prepare "XXX", they then turn around, put it in the oven, and pull out the finished product that they put in the oven thirty minutes ago. So if they only mix something for five seconds that really should be 30 seconds, they may say it, but not do it. Because the one they're pulling out of the oven WAS done properly.

PS: Always use unsalted butter, unless it specifies different. That's basic cooking 101. You can add salt, but you can't subtract it. What @burdell said above.

Bonus PS: My favorites are: (currently airing only)

Pioneer Woman
The Kitchen
Anything with Katie Lee
Most shows with Giada
Guy's Ranch Kitchen

And a new show that just started, that channels Julia Child: The Julia Child Challenge. Fantastic show!

Old 03-25-2022, 07:16 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I watch a lot, a LOT, of cooking shows. I think some of you are forgetting the "TV aspect" of these shows.

Of course everything is prepped in advance. Do you really want to watch them peel & chop five cloves of garlic?

Why would they scrape a bowl? Again, it's TV, they show us the how it goes together, the ingredients, the mixing. We don't need to see them scrape bowls. And we especially don't need to see them clean up, @nuts2. Viewers would just FF through it.

Another thing to remember is most cooking shows already have whatever is being prepared finished in the oven. So if they show us how to prepare "XXX", they then turn around, put it in the oven, and pull out the finished product that they put in the oven thirty minutes ago. So if they only mix something for five seconds that really should be 30 seconds, they may say it, but not do it. Because the one they're pulling out of the oven WAS done properly.

PS: Always use unsalted butter, unless it specifies different. That's basic cooking 101. You can add salt, but you can't subtract it. What @burdell said above.

Bonus PS: My favorites are: (currently airing only)

Pioneer Woman
The Kitchen
Anything with Katie Lee
Most shows with Giada
Guy's Ranch Kitchen

And a new show that just started, that channels Julia Child: The Julia Child Challenge. Fantastic show!
I was kidding, of course.

Old 03-25-2022, 07:50 AM

Another thing that bothers me is they never seem to have running water to rinse their hands after getting them sticky or messy. They just wipe them on a towel. It must feel awful.

While I’m on a rant...I don’t like that Ree is trying to include her daughters in her shows lately, as if they have anything to contribute.

I don’t like the way Food Channel treated Paula Deen, then tried to slip in another older gray haired chubby woman, as though nobody would notice. That Nancy person from NY is no Paula Deen.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:15 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,236,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
While I’m on a rant...I don’t like that Ree is trying to include her daughters in her shows lately, as if they have anything to contribute.
That seemed to start when the pandemic kicked in. I guess she no longer had access to a film crew, so she started using family. There's a discernible difference in show quality once that happened.

Same issue with Guy Fieri trying to get his son Hunter in the middle of every show he does. His son has no, repeat NO qualifications to be on the air. And he has the personality of that dishrag you wish they used.

If they start throwing too much Hunter at us, I'll just stop watching. It's an easy solution.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:38 AM

Quote:
That seemed to start when the pandemic kicked in. I guess she no longer had access to a film crew, so she started using family. There's a discernible difference in show quality once that happened.

Same issue with Guy Fieri trying to get his son Hunter in the middle of every show he does. His son has no, repeat NO qualifications to be on the air. And he has the personality of that dishrag you wish they used.

If they start throwing too much Hunter at us, I'll just stop watching. It's an easy solution.
I know it’s off topic, but I’ve stopped watching Dr Phil for this reason too. Like we aren’t supposed to catch on that he’s always plugging Robin’s life changing face cream or his sons various businesses.

Old 03-25-2022, 08:44 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
The Childress cooking shows seem so fake , no way can children that age run around the place mixing, frying, flipping hot things over, turning mixers on and off , then the finished dish looks like a neat French cuisine dish

Old 03-25-2022, 08:53 AM

29,747 posts, read 34,404,163 times
Quote:
I don't mind the Pioneer Woman breaking the 4th wall, so to speak, and having her kids "behind the camera" even though they're probably back to a professional crew.

Not so much cooking shows, but I follow some of the cooks and networks on social media, and people can be so mean in the comments. Like, when you get you get your cooking show you can do whatever you want, lady, no need to drag Molly Yeh because she loves sprinkles.

Old 03-25-2022, 09:01 AM

2,106 posts, read 979,806 times
I remember Bobby Flay few years back once saying he cooked the same thing 3-4 times over then it was edited to fit in his show making it look like he’s just cooked it perfect in one go , maybe he’s sorry now he said that lol
I know most cooking shows have a team in the back cooking step by step what’s being done out front for the camera so mistakes can be replaced in a second .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes