Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2022, 02:26 PM

2,106 posts, read 979,087 times

Advertisements

And the ones that need to say ,,parmigiana reggiano when it’s just Parmesan cheese
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2022, 02:44 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,856,642 times
Some of the "for TV" shows are not half bad. I really liked "Julia".
What really kills me are those YouTube cooking segments made by people who like hearing themselves talk forever, saying the same thing over and over forever!
The most I get out of cooking shows or posts are what the ingredients should be for a certain dish.
After that, about 5 or 6 tries on my own to get the quantities right, so it tastes at least somewhat OK...

Old 03-26-2022, 02:47 PM

14,310 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I watch a lot, a LOT, of cooking shows. I think some of you are forgetting the "TV aspect" of these shows.

Of course everything is prepped in advance. Do you really want to watch them peel & chop five cloves of garlic?

Why would they scrape a bowl? Again, it's TV, they show us the how it goes together, the ingredients, the mixing. We don't need to see them scrape bowls. And we especially don't need to see them clean up, @nuts2. Viewers would just FF through it.
Unfortunately, some people who watch those shows can't cook but would like to be able to, so they imitate what they see. "So-and-so doesn't scrape bowls, so I didn't know I was supposed to." And if you read cookbooks, a lot of them also stress having "every ingredient measured out, prepared and ready to go before you even start cooking," which is sometimes helpful, but often silly.

But sure, I guess it's not TV chefs' fault that they have to do things a certain way while being filmed.

Old 03-26-2022, 02:48 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I love pre measuring!! Been caught not remembering if I added the long list of ingredients. This stops that
And you bet I am a-ok with not being compulsive hand washing. Just go about your kitchen antics. Cuz us mammas are often interrupted by our kids needing a drink or snack. We are bound to touch something that ires the sterile minded folk.

My few pet peeves:
Temp of oven.
Use of products that have no substitute! Sorry I can't buy certain foreign foods / spices!

I wear my flour on my nose to my toes!!
How in tarnation do some of these bakers not get a smidge of ingredients on them !

Old 03-26-2022, 03:09 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Why do you think she’s on TV?
Yeah, I saw Daphne Oz on a cooking show recently. Would she be famous if not for her father?

Old 03-26-2022, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Yeah, I saw Daphne Oz on a cooking show recently. Would she be famous if not for her father?
And have you seen David Beckham’s son making sandwiches on day time tv , soo funny next Kelly Rippas kids will flipping burgers on her show .

Old 03-26-2022, 03:36 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,054,158 times
One of my pet peeves is America's Test Kitchen will say " We're looking for 160 degrees" and then they stick the thermometer in and it's ALWAYS exactly right, drives me crazy !

Old 03-26-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
One of my pet peeves is America's Test Kitchen will say " We're looking for 160 degrees" and then they stick the thermometer in and it's ALWAYS exactly right, drives me crazy !
LOL , never under or over ..exact only !

Old 03-26-2022, 03:44 PM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
I love pre measuring!! Been caught not remembering if I added the long list of ingredients. This stops that
I almost always pre-measure. Everything. I have all my ingredients chopped, diced, and sliced in advance, sitting in their little bowls & plates. Spices are out, and if the recipe calls for a mix of certain spices, I'll often do that in advance also. I find it fun and relaxing to do my meal prep. That's also when I have my evening cocktail, during prep & cooking.

But I'm also a retired nobody, with time on my hands, and I love to cook. If I was a working parent, kids hungry, spouse busy, I'd do whatever it takes to put food on the table.

I have my quirks, but I also don't judge others. It's just cooking

Old 03-26-2022, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I almost always pre-measure. Everything. I have all my ingredients chopped, diced, and sliced in advance, sitting in their little bowls & plates. Spices are out, and if the recipe calls for a mix of certain spices, I'll often do that in advance also. I find it fun and relaxing to do my meal prep. That's also when I have my evening cocktail, during prep & cooking.

But I'm also a retired nobody, with time on my hands, and I love to cook. If I was a working parent, kids hungry, spouse busy, I'd do whatever it takes to put food on the table.

I have my quirks, but I also don't judge others. It's just cooking
Wow , i actually understand that Just not for me , but the cocktail ..yes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes