Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 11:56 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
A few of you mentioned convection ovens. Can a convection oven do everything an air fryer can? Can you make crispy fried chicken in a convection oven? Thanks in advance your replies
The speed and force of the air movement in a standard convection oven is much less than that in an air fryer, so the answer is "maybe." Crispness will probably depend upon what you used as a coating for the chicken, and results could be iffy depending on the oven and placement.

Every time I've tried following directions with air fried chicken it has come out overdone. Part of that is the fear of undercooked poultry in this country, and recipes that reflect that; part of it is that fat is a better medium for transferring heat fast and equally. I could learn to compensate, but I like the outcome of other ways of cooking better.

I'll probably put my first air fryer on Craigslist, and the second smaller one gets a little use, fish n chips when I don't feel like cooking, and reheating some items. I'll put it this way - I haven't had any thought of getting rid of my pots capable of deep frying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 12:31 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Thanks harry. We don't deep fry anyway. My husband just got fixated on getting an air fryer. I have no idea why. In any case - I don't want one but did want to run it by someone who knows what they're talking about. Lucky me - that's you! Settled - we'll stick with other sources of fried chicken and whatever else he thought we'd use it for.

Oh - I'm definitely one of those "cook it allllll the way!" people - for chicken - I like a rare steak.
Posting Guide

Old 09-05-2023, 01:03 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'll admit that for a long time I was a naysayer about air fryers, I would argue that I had a convection oven so why would I need an air fryer? I changed my mind after visiting my son and seeing how versatile his air fryer was, he said he hasn't used his stove or oven since he bought it. I found an Instant Vortex on sale and bought it and I absolutely love it! It's superb at reheating food, cooking wings, fries, fish and braised vegetables. Mine is 6 quart and doesn't have shelves, just a basket so it doesn't really take up a lot of room in the kitchen.
I have the 7 QT model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
A few of you mentioned convection ovens. Can a convection oven do everything an air fryer can? Can you make crispy fried chicken in a convection oven? Thanks in advance your replies
Yes.

I have a Ninja Foodi Smart XL Pro Air Oven (https://www.ninjakitchen.com/zidDT251)
which is a convection oven+ It cooks ten ways:

Whole Roast
*Air Roast
*Air Fry
*Pizza
*Bake
Dehydrate
Broil
Toast
Bagel
Reheat

*I use these presets all the time.

As for chicken, my Ninja Foodi has a Chicken setting to use with the thermometer. No under cooked chicken in my kitchen.

Old 09-05-2023, 05:34 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,586,547 times
Thank you Hawk! The house we bought has a combo conventional & convection oven. We’ve never used the convection settings Will have to give it a go.
Posting Guide

Old 09-05-2023, 07:33 AM

130,047 posts, read 12,072,794 times
I love my air fryer, so easy to use & convenient also.

Old 09-05-2023, 06:23 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I was so against air fryer! Telling everyone I am good with my oven and convection oven with a rotisserie....
Till l got one for Xmas few years ago. Tried not to make a face and promised to at least give it a try.
Oh boy - was l wrong!!
I love it and use daily. There are so many recipes to try! Beautiful food to prepare!

Together with the AF I got also this book. I tried many recipes from there and recommend it to you. It has a great collection of easy but tasty and fast meals.

Today I was gifted another one, for my house overseas. The same trusted brand (Breville), so l know how it works.
Can't wait to go shopping tomorrow and get back to experimenting with food.
I missed it a lot here!!!

Old 01-28-2024, 01:19 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,658,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I was so against air fryer! Telling everyone I am good with my oven and convection oven with a rotisserie....
Till l got one for Xmas few years ago. Tried not to make a face and promised to at least give it a try.
Oh boy - was l wrong!!
I love it and use daily. There are so many recipes to try! Beautiful food to prepare!

Together with the AF I got also this book. I tried many recipes from there and recommend it to you. It has a great collection of easy but tasty and fast meals.

Today I was gifted another one, for my house overseas. The same trusted brand (Breville), so l know how it works.
Can't wait to go shopping tomorrow and get back to experimenting with food.
I missed it a lot here!!!

My oven recently died (now repaired) and I bought a Breville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro as a temporary replacement. It works great to bake, roast, and air fry, but it's pitiful as a toaster. After sixteen minutes, an English muffin is dry but not toasted at all. My regular toaster can toast a muffin to a golden tan after 3 minutes. If you use your Breville as a toaster, any advice would be appreciated.

Old 01-29-2024, 01:18 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
My oven recently died (now repaired) and I bought a Breville Joule Oven Air Fryer Pro as a temporary replacement. It works great to bake, roast, and air fry, but it's pitiful as a toaster. After sixteen minutes, an English muffin is dry but not toasted at all. My regular toaster can toast a muffin to a golden tan after 3 minutes. If you use your Breville as a toaster, any advice would be appreciated.

I don't have that one, but here a couple videos that might help you.

Toast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4wPcZ3-bww

Bagels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZKjZUNATV4
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes