Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2022, 06:53 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,875,918 times

Advertisements

Perhaps.... don't think so but I'll think about it. I wonder about the frozen thing. You may have jogged my memory! it's possible she called them icebox cookies and my memory got scrambled into the word "frozen". it would make sense, being a produce of modern society.

My mom was from Oregon, Portland to be exact. I will send an email to my cousin outside of Portland to see if he remembers or has the recipe. He's one of the last links I have to my mother. The others wouldn't know. They might remember the cookies, but they are so old that I doubt they have the recipe lying around somewhere. One is a bachelor 94 years old and the other now lives with her children. I can also ask my dad but I seriously doubt if he remembers. My brother might, actually. Well, my memory is getting jogged. Thinking out loud....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 08:26 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
My mother made "ice box" cookies, and they were too much work for me to ever make them myself. However, they were not "no bake" cookies. The dough was mixed up and then rolled into long rolls and wrapped in waxed paper. The rolls went into the refrigerator overnight. Then the roll was taken out and slices were cut off and baked.

They were a crispy oatmeal cookie and could have been made into squares. They were very tasty and the light tan color the OP is talking about.

I don't have that recipe, unless it is in one of my old cookbooks. Too much work for me. I think the whole point was that you could slice off and bake only the number of cookies that you want at the time so every time you served the cookies, they were freshly out of the oven.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:33 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Is there a chance you only saw the preparation of the dough and it going into the ice box, then they got baked the next day when you weren't looking?
Here's that kind of cookie, that looks rather like what you've described:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...e-box-cookies/

Again looking at history, "ice box" cakes and cookies were developed in the 1920s.
Maybe your mom used something like a shortbread recipe that dated back to 1900, but applied the newer techniques?

Old 09-29-2022, 10:18 AM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
If you do a search for no bake chocolate cake you'll find many such recipes, all quite similar but with slight differences - if you look at some of them, you'll probably find one that seems about right.

So you know you're in good company, here's Queen Elizabeth II's Favorite Cake: Chocolate Biscuit Cake

Old 09-29-2022, 11:26 AM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
If you do a search for no bake chocolate cake you'll find many such recipes, all quite similar but with slight differences - if you look at some of them, you'll probably find one that seems about right.

So you know you're in good company, here's Queen Elizabeth II's Favorite Cake: Chocolate Biscuit Cake
If I'm reading that recipe correctly it calls for using a raw egg, left uncooked?

Old 09-29-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Is there a chance you only saw the preparation of the dough and it going into the ice box, then they got baked the next day when you weren't looking?
Here's that kind of cookie, that looks rather like what you've described:
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/21...e-box-cookies/

Again looking at history, "ice box" cakes and cookies were developed in the 1920s.
Maybe your mom used something like a shortbread recipe that dated back to 1900, but applied the newer techniques?
All possible.... Things are starting to come back to me. I have emails in to relatives... hopefully some good input. The cookies in the photo look pretty similar, but not quite. My mother's were darker. In between a dark caramel color and a lighter caramel.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:27 PM

2,886 posts, read 7,134,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If I'm reading that recipe correctly it calls for using a raw egg, left uncooked?
Who knows, makes you wonder, if the queen didn't eat raw egg, would she have lived longer?

Old 09-29-2022, 02:44 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Raw eggs didn't seem to be frightening up until around1980; I used to toss a raw egg in my smoothie. I don't know if they got more dangerous then--perhaps due to a change in processing--or if the dangers just came to light around then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzco View Post
Who knows, makes you wonder, if the queen didn't eat raw egg, would she have lived longer?
Yeah, she only lived to 96. Must have been too many raw eggs.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:46 PM

Me too, I used to do that many years ago but not anymore.

Old 09-29-2022, 03:32 PM

16,071 posts, read 21,144,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Raw eggs didn't seem to be frightening up until around1980; I used to toss a raw egg in my smoothie. I don't know if they got more dangerous then--perhaps due to a change in processing--or if the dangers just came to light around then.
Yeah, we used to do raw eggs in eggnog too, back before salmonella became an issue, but it seems the queen was STILL using this recipe, so I found it odd. Do they not have the same salmonella scare overseas, or maybe the queen figured she was old enough and tough enough not to be concerned? This curious mind wants to know.

Back to OP, I went through all the cookie recipes in my 1946 cookbook, saw nothing resembling any sort of no-bake recipes at all. All mention of icebox cookies included baking them after removing them from the icebox.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes