Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 04:57 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I probably got it wrong in my original post. It's wafting back that she made the dough, used her rolling pin, used a cutout and put it in the fridge on sheets. That's what I seem to recall. Then she probably baked them. I wish my memory were better about this. Just been too many years. Probably about 13-14. Darn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2022, 08:42 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If I'm reading that recipe correctly it calls for using a raw egg, left uncooked?

The egg is added to a hot butter and chocolate mixture. It takes very little heat to kill salmonella.

If you would like to try that recipe at home, you can buy raw pasteurized eggs. Enough heat to pasteurize without cooking the eggs at all, so adding to melted chocolate and butter, should do the trick.

And incidentally, there is no way for salmonella to get inside an egg, so the salmonella would have to be on the shell. Use some care when cracking and use clean eggs.

Old 09-30-2022, 09:02 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Yeah, we used to do raw eggs in eggnog too, back before salmonella became an issue, but it seems the queen was STILL using this recipe, so I found it odd. Do they not have the same salmonella scare overseas, or maybe the queen figured she was old enough and tough enough not to be concerned? This curious mind wants to know.
perhaps they used pasturized eggs.

or maybe it's because they have different egg processing techniques in Europe.

Eggs have a natural coating that keeps out bacteria. That coating dissolves when eggs are washed, and they must be refrigerated to prevent the growth of bacteria.

In Europe they don't wash or refrigerate eggs.

Here in the US, eggs are washed in huge batches. What's on one egg gets on them all, then gets through the shells.

Old 10-01-2022, 12:09 PM

12,047 posts, read 8,433,033 times
Save money by coddling your own. Bring water to a boil. Remove from stove and gently lower egg into water. Set timer for one minute. Then cool quickly with cold water.

My Christmas cookie plate inspired by Norwegian heritage, was snow white. To add a little color I used to make two no-bake cookie which I never cared for but the kids would go right for them. Unfortunately both of these are labor intensive.

Cornflake Wreaths - https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/10...reath-cookies/

No-Bake Strawbery Cookies - https://suzyhomefaker.blogspot.com/2...y-cookies.html

Old 10-07-2022, 03:15 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,355,682 times
The only no bakes I can think of include cocoa powder, peanut butter, milk, oatmeal and butter.

Old 11-17-2022, 03:20 AM

4,956 posts, read 3,319,465 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9nH3PI8-C0

Old 11-17-2022, 08:09 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,898,296 times
Thanks Nerys52SoSilver. The cookies I'm referring to are flat, caramel colored, rectangle shaped. Very uninteresting and plain. There is nothing fancy about them. It's an "old tyme" recipe from 100 years ago.

I talked to my father and my brother recently about the cookie recipe. My dad wasn't with my mother for the past 50 years so he doesn't remember them. My brother remembers them, and they are going to look through my mother's things to see if they have her recipes. Other than that, I'm out of luck unless something else reveals itself.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:12 AM

5,134 posts, read 4,488,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The only no bakes I can think of include cocoa powder, peanut butter, milk, oatmeal and butter.
Yes! I used to eat those at a friend’s house when I was teenager. So good!

Unfortunately, I never got the recipe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes