Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2022, 10:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times

Advertisements

I have been making it for so long that I don't measure but I use ground turkey that I brown with onions, black beans, canned green chiles, fresh or canned, diced tomatoes, garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne, Mexican oregano to taste, & sometimes add diced bell or miniature peppers & corn if I have them. I use crockpot to cook it, & also have homemade cole slaw, it compliments the chili. I only use black beans, I really dislike kidney beans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 12:28 AM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Making me hungry ! Not liking hot stuff. It stings my tongue.

Very simply
Ground pork (browned)
sautee onions, celery , mushrooms until browned
crushed tomatoes (canned)
tomato paste
beef broth
left over vegetables optional
Pinch of coarse salt and pepper
Taco seasoning pouch
Beans:
Soak dried kidney, pinto and navy beans and salt in water overnight, drain and rinse the next day, then cover beans with fresh water and simmer in a pot for 1-2 hours until soft. Strain off the liquid and add to the chili sauce when you are ready.

Franks Hot Sauce served on the table with meal along with soda crackers, toast, or french bread and butter. and cottage cheese. Chili also tastes really good on buttered rotini noodles.

I don't use garlic in my chili because seems to me the garlic taste changes once it has been frozen.
But I use a load of it in my Italian dishes like chicken cacciatore.

Old 11-06-2022, 01:29 AM

2,704 posts, read 1,829,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Tell tell.
Ask and you shall receive:

Spoon Bread: https://www.city-data.com/forum/reci...l#post64404076

Old 11-06-2022, 03:24 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Quote:

Do you make chili? If so, what do you do or add that makes it special?
I am a "no bean" chili maker!

Ground beef
Stewed tomatoes
Tomato sauce
Chili powder
Chopped green pepper
Chopped onion
Unsweetened chocolate <--special part

Old 11-06-2022, 04:00 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,553,488 times
Where's the cinnamon and vinegar? Love me some Cincinnati chili. I'd cut back on the cumin to make it though.
Harry, adding a dash of cloves (as you had earlier posted) also goes well with the cinnamon and vinegar.

When I make this chili, I take a can of the stewed tomatoes and roughly cut up an onion. Then I place in blender to completely obliterate the onion, pour it in to chili-to-be. Yum

Old 11-06-2022, 08:11 AM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Where's the cinnamon and vinegar? Love me some Cincinnati chili. I'd cut back on the cumin to make it though.
Harry, adding a dash of cloves (as you had earlier posted) also goes well with the cinnamon and vinegar.

When I make this chili, I take a can of the stewed tomatoes and roughly cut up an onion. Then I place in blender to completely obliterate the onion, pour it in to chili-to-be. Yum
The cinnamon was in the garam masala, I think.
https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/14...-garam-masala/

I know that the juice the jalapenos were in is vinegar.

(I couldn't fit the kitchen sink)

I love the idea that there is no right or wrong way to make chili (other than turning it into spaghetti sauce). Add as many or as few ingredients as you want.

As for the sugar - it is a known flavor enhancer, but again is not "needed." Leaving it out is fine.

Got to thinking -

Tomatoes - umami

salt - flavor enhancer

sugar - flavor enhancer

malliard reacted meat - flavor enhancer

black pepper - flavor enhancer

hot pepper (in moderation) - brings that spike of heat that can wake up dull food

vinegar - similar

I find that when someone says "ridiculous" it often boils down to:

Too complicated for me to make

I don't understand ???

I don't WANT to understand!

I want the kiddie menu - a hot dog is good enough for me.

Another "ridiculous" recipe to make is baklava. It takes a tremendous amount of time and effort to make, but the results can be worth it.

As for foods with a complex makeup, there is always a "simple" orange, right?

Take a look at what is in an orange and why people think they taste good:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41538-019-0055-7

When I come back to a judgmental "ridiculous" comment, I smile.

Old 11-06-2022, 08:55 AM

746 posts, read 838,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
I make four different types of chili.

The first is the basic: ground beef, onions, tomato sauce and tomato paste, whole tomatoes smashed up as they cook, light and dark kidney beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. I sometimes add Sometimes I use French's chili-o mix. It's what my mother always used. I made some earlier this week. My husband likes to use the leftovers for nachos or chili dogs.

I make a crock pot beef chili with chunks of beef. It might be cubed bottom or top round, or beef stew meat. It depends on what is on sale. I add diced tomatoes, jalapenos, canned diced chiles, and a spice blend I make that includes garlic and onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and a few other spices. I add a single can of kidney beans about an hour before serving. It's not as soupy as the basic chili. I have added a bit of a Mexican cocoa powder to this a few times.

I also make chicken chili in the crock pot similar to the above, but use some type of white beans.

For a soupier chicken chili I use chicken broth, tomato sauce, the usual spices plus cilantro at the end, onion, jalapenos, green or red peppers, white beans or black beans. I also like to add hominy to it.
Wow! That could have been my post!
I make 4 types also in similar ways to yours. For the chunky beef type, I do not use beans and do add a cup of beer to the pot.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:10 AM

10,990 posts, read 6,857,477 times
Quote:

As for foods with a complex makeup, there is always a "simple" orange, right?

Take a look at what is in an orange and why people think they taste good:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41538-019-0055-7
I'll take A and F for Double Jeopardy, Alex.

Old 11-06-2022, 09:21 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerraDown View Post
Where's the cinnamon and vinegar?......
Cinnamon and vinegar go into chorizo and a small bit of chorizo for flavor is a good addition to chili.

Old 11-06-2022, 03:08 PM

1,824 posts, read 796,358 times
This is a fun post. I enjoy seeing everybody's ingredients & ideas. There sure isn't a "right" way to make chili, but it sure tastes good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes