Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:26 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times

Advertisements

OK, I'm going to make a huge batch in the morning for freezing. Paying over $2 per can when I can make it with ingredients I trust doesn't cut it.

My basic ingredient list:

Ground beef, fried
Onion, carmelized AND some left raw before stewing
Garlic
Chili powder- lots of chili powder
Cumin
ginger
Pinto beans and black beans (I'm not as much a fan of kidney beans, but they are OK, I guess)
Diced and chopped tomatoes
tomato paste
cocoa powder
a chocolate bar
black pepper
jalapeno peppers and the canning liquor
green chili
brown sugar
beef bullion
soy sauce
corn starch
apple or raisins
possibly a little baking soda, depending on the acidity
might add ancho chilis, not sure yet.

Since I make in large batches, I may make two or three different versions at the same time.

Do you make chili? If so, what do you do or add that makes it special?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2022, 06:53 PM

3,179 posts, read 2,126,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
OK, I'm going to make a huge batch in the morning for freezing. Paying over $2 per can when I can make it with ingredients I trust doesn't cut it.

My basic ingredient list:

Ground beef, fried
Onion, carmelized AND some left raw before stewing
Garlic
Chili powder- lots of chili powder
Cumin
ginger
Pinto beans and black beans (I'm not as much a fan of kidney beans, but they are OK, I guess)
Diced and chopped tomatoes
tomato paste
cocoa powder
a chocolate bar
black pepper
jalapeno peppers and the canning liquor
green chili
brown sugar
beef bullion
soy sauce
corn starch
apple or raisins
possibly a little baking soda, depending on the acidity
might add ancho chilis, not sure yet.

Since I make in large batches, I may make two or three different versions at the same time.

Do you make chili? If so, what do you do or add that makes it special?
Nothing is better than bowl of chili when the weather turns cool and your recipe sounds really good. Never have used apples or a chocolate bar in chili, I’ll have to try them. My secret ingredient is beer, it makes a difference.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:09 PM

5,864 posts, read 11,919,279 times
Thanks - I need to I improve on my chili recipe. Lots of interesting additions to consider. I’ll be making a batch this week.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:16 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
I JUST won the family chili cook off. We had four contestants.

I made the only white chicken chili, and it was my first. I made it to add variety. So I thought I would lose. I've always found that it is the attention to detail that makes a good chili. The roasting of the chilis, onions, garlic. The blooming of the spices. I used a Costco chicken.

Making the most of the ingredients. I actually had very few. Chicken, navy beans, poblano/jalapeno/anaheim, cumin, marjoram, pickled jalapenos, lime, pepper jack cheese. topped with green onions and cilantro.

Some of my red chili recipes use chocolate which I love.

I know I would LOVE to try your version. It looks amazing.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-03-2022, 07:19 PM

11,085 posts, read 17,530,236 times
We make ours simple. Ground beef, onions, tomatoes and tomato sauce, dark kidney beans, McCormick's mild chili mix. I love it. Plus my wife's stomach can't handle the peppers or anything spicy.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:39 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,336,894 times
I make four different types of chili.

The first is the basic: ground beef, onions, tomato sauce and tomato paste, whole tomatoes smashed up as they cook, light and dark kidney beans, garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt and black pepper. I sometimes add Sometimes I use French's chili-o mix. It's what my mother always used. I made some earlier this week. My husband likes to use the leftovers for nachos or chili dogs.

I make a crock pot beef chili with chunks of beef. It might be cubed bottom or top round, or beef stew meat. It depends on what is on sale. I add diced tomatoes, jalapenos, canned diced chiles, and a spice blend I make that includes garlic and onion powder, paprika, chili powder, cumin, and a few other spices. I add a single can of kidney beans about an hour before serving. It's not as soupy as the basic chili. I have added a bit of a Mexican cocoa powder to this a few times.

I also make chicken chili in the crock pot similar to the above, but use some type of white beans.

For a soupier chicken chili I use chicken broth, tomato sauce, the usual spices plus cilantro at the end, onion, jalapenos, green or red peppers, white beans or black beans. I also like to add hominy to it.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:51 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,228,497 times
I love to make chili, if it ever cools down here I will be making it for a football Sunday
I use ground turkey (15% fat) and chorizo, onions, green peppers, tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, paste, salt, pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, and cayenne. In the last 30 minutes I'll add some frozen corn (I thaw it out) Once in the bowl it gets Fritos, cheddar jack cheese and green onions.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:56 PM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
Stop, stop!!! Y'all I'm drooling! I may regret this!!! (not!)

Old 11-04-2022, 03:35 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,213,314 times
In addition to the ingredients listed I add some liquid smoke and use a couple of different kinds of rehydrated dried chilis (unusually Anaheim and Ancho). I use Beyond or Impossible faux meat instead of cow.

Old 11-04-2022, 07:36 AM

5,877 posts, read 6,944,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
In addition to the ingredients listed I add some liquid smoke and use a couple of different kinds of rehydrated dried chilis (unusually Anaheim and Ancho). I use Beyond or Impossible faux meat instead of cow.
I love chili, but I am not going to make anything with 20+ ingredients (yet alone add even more).
How many of those ingredients could you leave out and not taste a difference?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes