Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2022, 06:52 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times

Advertisements

I make a green fruit salad in the summer with honeydew melon, green grapes and kiwi. Dress it with a couple of tablespoons of honey, couple teaspoons of lemon or lime juice, a little grated ginger and a dash of salt. Toss a couple of times and let sit overnight before serving.

Another favorite is a warm bacon dressing made with some mayonnaise, drippings, cider vinegar, s&p, and brown sugar that's not as greasy as the usual recipe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2022, 11:28 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
My opinion--I never add a dressing to a fruit salad. I let the fruit do the work.

I've never been a fan of sweet salad dressings--anything with sugar is not for me.

Red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and fresh ground pepper is my go to salad dressing. I often will eat a salad for lunch. I usually just pour some red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper over the salad. It's quick and simple.

Commercially I like the Ken's Steakhouse brand of salad dressings.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:02 AM

4,184 posts, read 3,397,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
The two of us can never seem to finish off a bottle of salad dressing before it expires. More and more, I make half recipes from scratch and they taste a lot better. Please post your favorite salad dressing recipes.

I’ll start…

Poppyseed Dressing

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 small onion
1 t. dry mustard
1 t. salt
1T. poppyseeds
1 cup mild oil, like Canola

Whirl in mini chopper or blender until creamy. If you don’t have a food processor, then grate the onion and shake in a jar.
I like this dressing. Doesn't even need to be an all-fruit salad.

Old 01-02-2023, 11:23 AM

777 posts, read 503,312 times
Don't have the time or inclination to make salad dressing, but I use a drizzle of Italian and a drizzle of ranch, makes a kind of creamy Italian, with fresh cracked pepper.

Old 01-02-2023, 01:22 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
I use a simple rule for making vinaigrette:
Oil and vinegar,
Salt and pepper,
Sugar and spice.

"vinegar" can be lemon juice, or any sour ingredient or mix of things. My favorite is fresh lilikoi (passionfruit) pulp. Can't find them here, but I used to grow them in Hawaii.

I use olive or coconut oil, but have to get the dressing out hours before using it so they warm up and liquify. 30 seconds in the microwave works, too.

I generally use stevia instead of sugar, can be anything sweet.

Spice includes herbs of any type; I like dill weed and garlic.

Mix everything except the oil together, so the sugar and salt dissolve in the vinegar, then add the oil. I use a wide mouth glass bottle with a good lid; (I think it originally came with some instant ranch dressing stuff) and shake just before pouring.

Old 01-02-2023, 02:32 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,428,248 times
A co-worker got me hooked on hot sauce as a salad dressing, when the salad is not on the sweet side. At first it was Texas Pete, but here in Texas we have Schlotzsky's sandwich shop, which has a really, really good hot sauce. I use it now and it gives my salad a delicious ramp up in flavor.

Old 01-03-2023, 05:03 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
A co-worker got me hooked on hot sauce as a salad dressing, when the salad is not on the sweet side. At first it was Texas Pete, but here in Texas we have Schlotzsky's sandwich shop, which has a really, really good hot sauce. I use it now and it gives my salad a delicious ramp up in flavor.
I like hot salsa mixed with sour cream on taco salad.

Old 01-04-2023, 10:18 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I use chunky salsa and Miracle Whip on our taco salad. It has more bite than sour cream. But I know a lot of people don't like mayo-style dressings. Never liked them myself until I got older.

I like a vinaigrette but usually the ratio of oil to vinegar seems high to me. My taste buds want more tartness.

Old 01-04-2023, 12:04 PM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
I use chunky salsa and Miracle Whip on our taco salad. It has more bite than sour cream. But I know a lot of people don't like mayo-style dressings. Never liked them myself until I got older.

I like a vinaigrette but usually the ratio of oil to vinegar seems high to me. My taste buds want more tartness.
I love miracle whip, so I’ll definitely that.

Old 01-12-2023, 07:46 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
I use my hot sauce vinaigrette on salads, subs, sammy's- a lot of stuff.

1/4 cup olive oil (or grapeseed or avocado)
1 TBSP Belizean Heat hot sauce
2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 -3 teaspoons honey
Salt and pepper to taste
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes