Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2023, 01:31 PM

20,943 posts, read 28,459,867 times

Advertisements

Zucchini quiche
Zucchini bread
fried zucchini
stuffed zucchini boats
anyone ever eat the zucchini flowers and fry them? I have not tried that yet.
Zucchini pancakes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 01:43 PM

126,296 posts, read 19,077,769 times
We love zucchini patties
Zucchini casserole
filled zucchini with Feta cheese,tomatoes and other desired vegetables or for meat lovers ground meat and baked in the oven
Zucchini pancakes
Zucchini frittata with cottage cheese,Feta and curly parsley
Zucchini,English cucumber and tomato gulash over rice

Old 07-13-2023, 02:54 PM

709 posts, read 579,145 times
This thread brings back great memories of my mom's creativity when zucchini started exploding from the garden. I love it any which way. My mom and dad made zucchini relish that was to die for. It was the talk of the neighborhood!

Old 07-14-2023, 03:38 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,443,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
OK, hunting season for zucchini is officially open. I've trapped and killed a few, what are your favorite recipes for these beasts?

I've never tried the big game method of procuring them. Most of mine are bloated orphans abandoned on the doorstep in the night.

I used to stuff them with a mixture of bread crumbs, minced onions, S&P, beaten egg, cheese and bacon crumbles. They were good but time-consuming.

When the season is right and there's a convergence I like to make a ratatouille. Sometimes I bathe the veggies for ratatouille in Italian dressing, grill them and serve a room temp ratatouille composee when I have company. It's colorful.

Our favorite is a roast of fresh tomatoes, sweet onion, cheddar cubes, zucchini tossed with a little brown sugar and garlic salt. Then toss again with garlic croutons stirred with melted butter. It's the recipe that made zucchini win my heart.

Don't fry much food anymore but I used to cut them into matchsticks, roll in egg and cracker crumbs and deep fry for a snack.

I have a good, spicy Szechuan recipe for stir fry pork and shrimp that calls for zucchini.

Most of the time when we're alone, though, I just steam them in the microwave, toss with Parmesan and butter.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:51 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,236,006 times
I like to split them lengthwise, make crisscross cuts on the inside surface, brush with olive oil, season and put on a hot grill for a couple of minutes each side.

Old 09-07-2023, 11:22 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,087,229 times
We started late this year with our zucchini plant.
I just made some zucchini bread the other day and it was fantastic.
I used this recipe https://natashaskitchen.com/zucchini-bread-recipe/ and added a bunch of extra shaved almonds and dried cranberries we had laying around.
I think it would have even been better with walnuts.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:14 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,062,004 times
I’ve heard that in some neighborhoods, folks are careful to lock their cars in the driveway for fear of having anonymous gifts of zucchini.

I’ve made this many times. Simple and good.

Roasted Zucchini and Tomato Pasta
By Martha Stewart Test Kitchen Updated on May 16, 2017
Prep Time: 35 mins
Total Time: 35 mins
Ingredients
2 ½ pounds zucchini, trimmed and cut into ½-inch pieces

1 ½ pounds plum tomatoes, cut into ¾-inch chunks

3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced

5 tablespoons olive oil

2 teaspoons coarse salt

1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1 pound long fusilli or linquine

¼ cup chopped fresh parsley

¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving

Directions
Heat oven to 450 degrees. On rimmed baking sheet, toss zucchini, tomatoes, and garlic with 5 tablespoons oil; season with salt and pepper. Spread into single layer; roast until zucchini is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes.

In large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta until al dente, about 12 minutes. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water. Return pasta to pot. Toss with remaining tablespoon oil; cover.

Pour reserved pasta water onto baking sheet of cooked vegetables; scrape with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Stir vegetables and juices into pasta. Add parsley and Parmesan; toss to combine. Serve with more Parmesan.

Originally appeared: Everyday Food, March/April 2003
Attached Thumbnails
zucchini season-77d9be60-f20f-4232-917b-b3db3b642431.jpeg  

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-08-2023 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-10-2023, 10:38 AM

23,608 posts, read 70,476,785 times
As a follow-up to my original post. If you want a z plant with minimal z on it, buy the seeds for the container variety. Between four plants, two in the ground and two in containers, there were five zucchinis. What a waste of effort. They didn't vine out and were well behaved, but I think they were trying to commit cultivar suicide by refusing to fruit.

Old 09-10-2023, 11:01 AM

19,551 posts, read 9,561,689 times
I really liked how my mom used to make it. I do remember her putting it in flour and then a pan and cooking it but that's it. No specifics on the measurement amounts, the type of oil she may have used, temp and length of cooking time.

Old 09-10-2023, 03:34 PM

16,395 posts, read 30,307,800 times
I use a lot of zucchini and other squash when I am making vegetable soups. It really does not get mushy is you add it in the last two hours of cooking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes