Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:43 AM

23,640 posts, read 70,601,731 times

Advertisements

OK, hunting season for zucchini is officially open. I've trapped and killed a few, what are your favorite recipes for these beasts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 08:55 AM

130,856 posts, read 12,212,285 times
I have a plant, that flowers but no produce. I would love to have some fresh picked zucchini.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:28 AM

32,706 posts, read 48,272,649 times
My very favorite is steamed and served with butter and parmesan cheese.

I also dearly love deep fried zucchini.

When they get away from me and grow into baseball bats, I cut them in half, remove the seeds and stuff them with cheese and onions and sunflower seeds and bake until the squash is tender,

They can go into stews, but late in the process so they don't get overcooked.

A lot of zucchini at my house goes into home made dog food. For that reason I grow a few extra plants. If all the squash was just for my family, I would only have two zucchini plants (plus two yellow crooknecks and two light green patty pans).

Old 07-10-2023, 04:06 PM

10,928 posts, read 7,460,634 times
Stuffed with ground meat and veggies, baked, topped with cheese.

I'd like to try making mucver, a Turkish zucchini patty, they're creamy delicious at our favorite restaurant.

Steamed and topped with dill and butter.

Sauteed with ground turkey.

Old 07-10-2023, 04:21 PM

12,607 posts, read 9,735,810 times
This crustless quiche uses zucchini in a main dish:
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gar...ustless-quiche

And I can't find the recipe, but I used to make a zucchini side dish where I'd saute' some onion and garlic in butter in a good sized sauce pan, add some peel-on, thick-sliced zucchini and herbs de provence and saute until the zucchini softens, then add some sherry and some light cream to make a nice rich sauce with some additional flavor notes and texture and if I recall, I think once those were added I'd just heat through and serve - was elegant but easy and tasted very good. I wish I could find that recipe again! LOL

Old 07-10-2023, 08:56 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,311,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My very favorite is steamed and served with butter and parmesan cheese.

I also dearly love deep fried zucchini.

When they get away from me and grow into baseball bats, I cut them in half, remove the seeds and stuff them with cheese and onions and sunflower seeds and bake until the squash is tender,

They can go into stews, but late in the process so they don't get overcooked.

A lot of zucchini at my house goes into home made dog food. For that reason I grow a few extra plants. If all the squash was just for my family, I would only have two zucchini plants (plus two yellow crooknecks and two light green patty pans).
This family-owned Italian restaurant that we go to makes it so perfectly. I think about it all the time. lol

The usual version I do of zucchini is pretty boring, roasted in the oven with olive oil, salt, and pepper (and not overly cooked). We just made it the other day.

I add it when I make tortilla soup.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:00 PM

19,468 posts, read 15,311,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
This crustless quiche uses zucchini in a main dish:
https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/gar...ustless-quiche

And I can't find the recipe, but I used to make a zucchini side dish where I'd saute' some onion and garlic in butter in a good sized sauce pan, add some peel-on, thick-sliced zucchini and herbs de provence and saute until the zucchini softens, then add some sherry and some light cream to make a nice rich sauce with some additional flavor notes and texture and if I recall, I think once those were added I'd just heat through and serve - was elegant but easy and tasted very good. I wish I could find that recipe again! LOL
I wish you could, too.

I'd like to try some of these recipes. Good thread!

Old 07-10-2023, 09:43 PM

4,615 posts, read 6,410,963 times
Try here: zucchini recipes, there are only 3922 recipes.
Maybe by the end of the season you'll find the right one.

Old 07-13-2023, 12:41 PM

17,376 posts, read 11,352,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I have a plant, that flowers but no produce. I would love to have some fresh picked zucchini.
When I was a kid, my mom used to pick zucchini flowers, clean them and remove the stamens, batter them and fry them. I think it's an Italian thing to do when you have enough zucchini. You eat the flowers. They were delish!
Of course we would have fried sliced zucchini too with the same batter used for the flowers.

She would also stuff small zucchini, eggplants, tomatoes with breadcrumbs, parsley, garlic, olive oil and bake them in the oven together. It was a great meatless meal to have once in a while. The bread crumbs were not store bought. She would grate dried Italian bread with a box grater.

Last edited by marino760; 07-13-2023 at 12:51 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 01:29 PM

11,168 posts, read 8,005,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Most likely because of poor “pollination”.

Last edited by Sydney123; 07-13-2023 at 01:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes