Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2022, 03:14 PM

2,106 posts, read 977,306 times

Advertisements

I’m still hesitating about getting an air fryer , anyone have the pros and cons using one ? Do they come in different sizes , how easy to clean ect ect …..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 03:31 PM

9,113 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I was given one last year for my birthday. It's in the closet. Never sees the light of day.

I know people love using them, but I couldn't see having another appliance around. I don't fry things using oil; I usually bake my chicken cutlets in the small oven.

The air fryers are usually bigger than a small tabletop convection oven and not very attractive. Bulbous is the word that comes to mind.

I never came up with a reason to use it. So hidden it stays.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:40 PM

629 posts, read 408,401 times
What is the typical amperage requirement for the circuit it is plugged into? I'm guessing like a 20 amp circuit all to itself?

And it looks like they would be a chore to clean?

Old 08-02-2022, 03:41 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,318,769 times
Easy to clean.
Leave parchment paper or aluminum foil at the bottom.

Old 08-02-2022, 03:51 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
I recently got an instant pot and an air fryer. I love them both and have a large pantry so they are not sitting on my counter. I use my air fryer fairly often - probably more than the instant pot.

I love the small pork tenderloins (great recipes online for marinating) cooked in the air fryer. Also, I make naan or pita pizzas, frozen chicken (Aldi red or green bag!), burgers, egg rolls (found a great, easy recipe for duck sauce online), french fries, etc. . I love to cut onions in huge chunks and cook them in the air fryer to use as a side. Also, it is easy to heat a lot of leftovers up in the AF.

I have a Cosori 5.8 qt air fryer and it is very easy to clean. After cooking I just wash the drawer and basket and use a damp paper towel to wipe out the interior/coil area. Easy peasy!

Old 08-02-2022, 11:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
I’m still hesitating about getting an air fryer , anyone have the pros and cons using one ? Do they come in different sizes , how easy to clean ect ect …..

I bought a cheap air fryer at Walmart for $59 (3.2L Farberware). All of my friends said that they were "unnecessary and stupid." All those people now own an air fryer.

I purchased a air fryer for the following reasons:

1) Ease of cleaning. I can literally wash all the parts in less than 90 seconds. Try doing that with a baking dish.

2) My old stove does not have a convection function. An air fryer is a convection oven which allows me to cook chicken and other meat much quicker. I can cook a full stuffed cornish hen in about 40 minutes.

3) I can cook with a lot less fat than deep frying. Nearly all of the fried food that I have prepared comes out very crispy with only a bit of spray oil.

4) The air fryer does not heat up the kitchen as much as the conventional oven.

5) It does a great job heating up leftovers, especially fried foods.

Here are some great demonstration videos by a YouTuber who was also skeptical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtGB...l=ProHomeCooks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWh...l=ProHomeCooks

Old 08-02-2022, 11:30 PM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
You can cook just about anything in them, or a modified version.

They come in many sizes and shapes. Odds are you will out grow the one you buy.

They are fairly easy to clean, depending on what you cook. IE:

Frozen Fries or Tots will leave oil in the bottom that is easy to clean out. While something like mozz sticks that leave melted cheese stuck, will take some extra scrubbing. But nothing to tedious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I was given one last year for my birthday. It's in the closet. Never sees the light of day.

I know people love using them, but I couldn't see having another appliance around. I don't fry things using oil; I usually bake my chicken cutlets in the small oven.

The air fryers are usually bigger than a small tabletop convection oven and not very attractive. Bulbous is the word that comes to mind.

I never came up with a reason to use it. So hidden it stays.

Lets see home made fries 3-4 russet potatoes

Deep Fryer 4 cups of oil vs Air Fryer 1 TBS of oil. I'd take the air fryer any day.

The come in various shapes, and sizes. Like coffee pot, toaster ovens, etc. I currently have two different kinds. I got my very first Power XL Air Fryer back in 2016. It gave my a good 4 yr run. I got it's *current replacement for free.

*Power XL 7-QT Vortex Air Fryer (had for 2yrs)

When my last convection oven died, I replaced it with the Ninja® Foodi 10-in-1 Smart XL Pro Air Fry Oven (had for 3 months).

Some food may turn out better in one or the other. But both work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
Easy to clean.
Leave parchment paper or aluminum foil at the bottom.
Just make sure the aluminum foil is weighed down so it doesn't fly around inside. For example I use aluminum foil when I cook pot pies. I take a sheet of foil, set the pot pie on it. Then I roll up the sides to cover the crust edges. I cook the the pot pie halfway, them remove the foil. This method gives it a nice browned crust.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I bought a Sur La Table air fryer oven at Costco. After a few weeks, I returned it.

To start with, it was much larger than my toaster oven and took up a lot more counter space. I wasn't very impressed with the food cooked in it and enjoy my toaster oven for many more items.

I guess I just don't understand the hype.

Old 08-02-2022, 11:57 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post

Frozen Fries or Tots will leave oil in the bottom that is easy to clean out. While something like mozz sticks that leave melted cheese stuck, will take some extra scrubbing. But nothing to tedious.
:
My first step when using an air fryer is to pull out a pan spray and spray the inside basket. That pretty much prevents and sticking. The only thing that can be more difficult to clean out is when you are cooking naked chicken wings. That takes more time to clean. Also, when you start another batch of food, I like to spray the oil again.

================================

My the way, some of the things that I have done recently include making tortilla chips from corn tortillas and making those nice taco salad shells using large flour tortillas.

I have never tried baking in them. However, since I have two weeks alone in my kitchen as teh DW jets off elsewhere, I might try a few treats for the elderly folks that I am cooking for.

====================================

One more point. I like fried foods a lot. However, I do not like having a pan on my stove with 350F oil. My air fryer fried chicken is pretty darned close to deep fried chicken.

Old 08-03-2022, 09:15 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We have been really happy with our Ninja Foodie, which does airfrying, but also pressure cooking, steaming, baking and roasting. More recently though, we added a Ninja Air Fryer AF101, which is more dedicated to air frying, with a smaller cook area but does it much faster. For example, in the Foodi, frozen fries take about 20 minutes, in this smaller on only 12 minutes.
Now we have the advantage of the faster one for everyday use, and the larger in the case of something like a big roast or whole chicken.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FDJMC9Q...ogi&th=1&psc=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes