Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2023, 08:24 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,925,121 times

Advertisements

How do restaurants really make creamy, sticky, full body pasta sauces consistently?

In my personal experience, using pasta water, and some kind of stock along with white wine will make the sauce very runny. I just tried to make scallop/seafood pasta tonight. I added white wine, and some stock made from the boiling pasta water, and lobster bouillon. By just the white wine, it already seemed too watery/runny, but I added the stock anyways. I just skipped the pasta water. At the end of it all, I had to add heavy cream. But still not the best result I was hoping for.

Whenever I watch the pros on YT, they add loads and loads of pasta water. It is mostly water but the sauce becomes creamy, and sticks to the pasta well. When I do it, the bottom of bowl/plate has all the sauce. Do I need to be making sauce with higher heat so as soon as the liquids hit pan, the water vaporizes away?

What did happen tonight is the scallops produced a good amount of orangy, reddish fond on the pan. When I added the white wine I scraped it all up, and the liquid in the pan turned to orangy/reddish which is what I wanted. Perhaps I did not need to add stock at that point. I also made the stock using the boiling pasta water by mixing it in small bowl with bouillon. So there is the starchy pasta water in it. Perhaps I am not adding enough salt to the boiling water. Or is it because I am using store bought packaged pasta? Is fresh pasta better for making starchy pasta water?

Here is an example of chefs adding a ladles and ladles of pasta water. I dont see how it can work. Pasta water is after all mostly water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHOFRueIr_o
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2023, 06:35 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Why are you adding bullion at all. As for the white wine, after you add it, are you letting it burn off the alcohol which would reduce the liquid down to nearly nothing? Are you undercooking the pasta a little so it finishes cooking (and adds starch) to the sauce?

I've been experimenting with pasta water. As a result. I'm cooking my pasta in far less water than we've all been taught and the box instructions tell you to. The pasta comes out the same, but that water is much more starchy, making it a better thickener and adding creaminess to the sauce.

Old 07-12-2023, 08:56 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We make our spaghetti sauce in a large batch, and freeze all but that night's dinner in containers for future use. We always put it on in the morning and it cooks all day, on high in the crock pot. By dinner time it's become nice and thick from the evaporation, no pasta water or thickening agents. I have not had any problems with other sauces being watery, unless I use diced tomatoes and don't drain them first. I never use stock or water, just the tomatoes or tomato sauce, a little wine sometimes, and of course the spices. I have run into too much olive oil in Pesto, however, and am more careful about making it now.

Old 07-12-2023, 09:04 AM

5,145 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Lots of butter will make any sauce creamy.

Old 07-12-2023, 11:53 AM

23,589 posts, read 70,358,767 times
That was entertaining. Would have loved to be a fly on the wall when you were writing it.

Cutting to the chase, "creaminess" is directly related to the level of cooked starch content.

Old 07-12-2023, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Why are you adding bullion at all. As for the white wine, after you add it, are you letting it burn off the alcohol which would reduce the liquid down to nearly nothing? Are you undercooking the pasta a little so it finishes cooking (and adds starch) to the sauce?

I've been experimenting with pasta water. As a result. I'm cooking my pasta in far less water than we've all been taught and the box instructions tell you to. The pasta comes out the same, but that water is much more starchy, making it a better thickener and adding creaminess to the sauce.
I want to get that seafoody taste that I have tasted before in restaurants. I have tried with just seafood in olive oil and white wine, but did not get it. So I figure add some stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
We make our spaghetti sauce in a large batch, and freeze all but that night's dinner in containers for future use. We always put it on in the morning and it cooks all day, on high in the crock pot. By dinner time it's become nice and thick from the evaporation, no pasta water or thickening agents. I have not had any problems with other sauces being watery, unless I use diced tomatoes and don't drain them first. I never use stock or water, just the tomatoes or tomato sauce, a little wine sometimes, and of course the spices. I have run into too much olive oil in Pesto, however, and am more careful about making it now.
Are you making bolognese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Lots of butter will make any sauce creamy.
I have to try that classic Al Burro sauce no cream one day.

Last edited by NJ Brazen_3133; 07-12-2023 at 01:14 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 09:41 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
It is "runny" and then you add what you refer to as stock to make it creamy? headscratch!

Stock is not pasta water and a cube. If it is supposed to be "fishy" make fish stock from scratch.

Stay away from food shows. Rememebr the important word is shows.

Creamy does not mean you cook fish soup down to sauce. Starch and fat = creamy. You can always cheat with cream cheese.

Old 07-13-2023, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post

Creamy does not mean you cook fish soup down to sauce. Starch and fat = creamy. You can always cheat with cream cheese.
That is good to know. Whole Food sells English Clotted Cream. I am stick that in too and give it a try.

Old 07-14-2023, 09:59 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do restaurants really make creamy, sticky, full body pasta sauces consistently?...........
Lots of corn starch. Unless you are dining at a high end and very expensive restaurant and then they are using heavy cream and butter. Real cream makes a world of difference in dishes, but you aren't going to get expensive cream at a chain restaurant.

You can use cream at home, though, where it doesn't matter so much if one of the ingredients adds $5 to the cost of a dish.

Old 07-14-2023, 10:20 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
How do restaurants really make creamy, sticky, full body pasta sauces consistently?

In my personal experience, using pasta water, and some kind of stock along with white wine will make the sauce very runny. I just tried to make scallop/seafood pasta tonight. I added white wine, and some stock made from the boiling pasta water, and lobster bouillon. By just the white wine, it already seemed too watery/runny, but I added the stock anyways. I just skipped the pasta water. At the end of it all, I had to add heavy cream. But still not the best result I was hoping for.

Whenever I watch the pros on YT, they add loads and loads of pasta water. It is mostly water but the sauce becomes creamy, and sticks to the pasta well. When I do it, the bottom of bowl/plate has all the sauce. Do I need to be making sauce with higher heat so as soon as the liquids hit pan, the water vaporizes away?

What did happen tonight is the scallops produced a good amount of orangy, reddish fond on the pan. When I added the white wine I scraped it all up, and the liquid in the pan turned to orangy/reddish which is what I wanted. Perhaps I did not need to add stock at that point. I also made the stock using the boiling pasta water by mixing it in small bowl with bouillon. So there is the starchy pasta water in it. Perhaps I am not adding enough salt to the boiling water. Or is it because I am using store bought packaged pasta? Is fresh pasta better for making starchy pasta water?

Here is an example of chefs adding a ladles and ladles of pasta water. I dont see how it can work. Pasta water is after all mostly water.
A couple of things I saw. First, looks like he used as much butter was water. Second, he mostly cooked the paster in the pan with the sauce so it was both absorbing water and adding starch the whole time. And third, didn't look like he actually used that much water. Each ladle looked like it was only a third to half full. So maybe a cup of water all total. Just enough to cook the pasta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes