Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2023, 01:28 PM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

I'd like to try both alligator and ostrich (not together).

Sadly, no restaurants in my area offer them, but I can get them from a specialty butcher.

What's the best way to cook each? Google shows lots of fried and stewed alligator, is that best?

Do you have a fave recipe for either of these exotic meats?

Any other favorite exotics? I've had rattlesnake more than once...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 11:50 AM

6,138 posts, read 4,500,962 times
Alligator is chewy and in my opinion, best in a sausage with seasonings. I had it that way in New Orleans and there was nothing to dislike about it.

I had ostrich at a fancy food show and it has a beef taste, though the tidbit I got was so small I can't offer much else.

I like frog legs, fried, with any kind of seasoning or sauce. I like smoked eel. I hate venison, or I think I do, as the one time I had it I found it chewy and flavorless. I'm sure I'd like rattlesnake, but haven't had the opportunity.

Old 12-17-2023, 12:51 PM

2,041 posts, read 990,078 times
OP, you must know about the ostrich farm north of Tucson, yes?
https://www.roostercogburn.com/

Website says they sell ostrich meat onsite.

Old 12-17-2023, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
OP, you must know about the ostrich farm north of Tucson, yes?
https://www.roostercogburn.com/

Website says they sell ostrich meat onsite.
They only sell jerky, which I don't want. I'd love an eggshell, but they're $25, out of my comfort zone.

I can buy the meat in town, instead of driving an hour to the ranch

Old 12-17-2023, 08:32 PM

^^I remember passing that ostrich farm many times when I lived down south and was surprised to see that it's still in operation decades later.

I've eaten duck eggs. The shell is harder to crack, and I imagine ostrich eggs are even tougher. One egg would probably be enough to make an omelet for two people.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:16 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
I have had alligator dishes at Festival Acadien in Lafayette, LA and in several restaurants in SW Louisiana.

One of my favorites is Alligator in Piquante Sauce.
https://www.louisianaseafood.com/rec...sauce-piquante

Good luck finding a lot of these things in the Tucson area. At times, I have found it difficult to locate crawfish meat and okra over the years.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^I remember passing that ostrich farm many times when I lived down south and was surprised to see that it's still in operation decades later.

I've eaten duck eggs. The shell is harder to crack, and I imagine ostrich eggs are even tougher. One egg would probably be enough to make an omelet for two people.
An ostrich egg is about equal to two dozen chicken eggs. Those two people would have to be mighty hungry.

The ranch sells empty shells for $25. They don't seem to sell fresh meat or eggs.

Old 12-18-2023, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I have had alligator dishes at Festival Acadien in Lafayette, LA and in several restaurants in SW Louisiana.

One of my favorites is Alligator in Piquante Sauce.
https://www.louisianaseafood.com/rec...sauce-piquante

Good luck finding a lot of these things in the Tucson area. At times, I have found it difficult to locate crawfish meat and okra over the years.
I've been told Dickmans sells both gator and ostrich, and LeeLee's sells ostrich. I haven't made it to either to check it out.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:32 AM

In Australia if you see "flake" listed on a seafood menu, it's shark. Not sure which species, maybe just shark in general.
I couldn't bring myself to try it.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:35 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
I've had A LOT of game (especially in south africa) and reptile meat (which is not uncommon in AZ).

One of the very best things I have ever eaten was ostrich carpaccio (meaning very thinly sliced, raw meat) in South Africa. I've tried venison twice prepared once as a steak and once in stew, and I'm unlikely to try it a third time. Other than that, I'd have any of them again, and can't easily think of things I wouldn't at least try (brains or testicle of any animal will forever be on my no way in hell am i eating that list.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink > Recipes