Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 01:28 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,349,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
You seem like a reasonable guy.

I will just point out that as an atheist (or as a Buddhist) my actions are what I should be based on.
Of course. If not our actions, then what?

This forum makes it pretty evident we ALL find communicating problematic. Add to that profound personel beliefs,it doesnt get any easier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 01:33 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
Shouldn't this be in the Atheism subforum? An 'Ask a Christian' would be in its own subforum as well. You know, consistency.

Personally, I'm not interested in asking any one. I'll gladly search within myself and by my own means, and access the more superior vertical axis rather than the meager horizontal one of the masses.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 07-28-2022 at 01:51 PM..

Old 07-28-2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Shouldn't this be in the Atheism subforum?
I think it's just about right. I would assume atheists already know much, and the christianty form? Don't think it'd be productive.
Just destructive

Old 07-28-2022, 01:38 PM

11,133 posts, read 7,195,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I think it's just about right. I would assume atheists already know much, and the christianty form? Don't think it'd be productive.
I mean, I really don't care. It's just a forum. But it bears pointing out. Why have separate areas, and then let the specialized topics be in the general location?

Old 07-28-2022, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I mean, I really don't care. It's just a forum. But it bears pointing out. Why have separate areas, and then let the specialized topics be in the general location?
I see your point. Glad it's not my decision.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:56 PM

15,883 posts, read 6,352,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Afraid ??
I think Atheism is laughable, when an intelligent person looks around and believes that the entire universe and everything in it, came together all by itself. But hey, we are all free to make our choices - so good for whoever believes in Atheism.
I don't know how everything came into existence. I think it's odd when people claim they do.

Old 07-28-2022, 01:57 PM

50,917 posts, read 24,424,171 times
Quote:
Okay. Then we shouldn't have christians posting here, either.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:05 PM

20,064 posts, read 13,524,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakback View Post
I suspect you would pay more attention to my actions then my words.

And frankly, that's the best way I can truely communicate my faith.
It's the best way you can communicate your character. The role of your faith in that might be debatable. In my observation, character / virtue and religious faith vary independently of each other. The best you could argue is a weak association, but TBH I don't even see that.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
How come you only mention the pretty, lovely things?

Quote:
All things dull and ugly,
All creatures short and squat,
All things rude and nasty,
The Lord God made the lot.
Each little snake that poisons,
Each little wasp that stings,
He made their brutish venom.
He made their horrid wings.
All things sick and cancerous,
All evil great and small,
All things foul and dangerous,
The Lord God made them all.
Each nasty little hornet,
Each beastly little squid
Who made the spikey urchin?
Who made the sharks? He did!
All things scabbed and ulcerous,
All pox both great and small,
Putrid, foul and gangrenous,
The Lord God made them all.
Amen.

--Monty Python

Old 07-28-2022, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootsamillion View Post
You obviously have no children, or weren't present during their birth. I don't suppose you like to watch a sunrise or sunset over the mountains, or enjoy watching two squirrels at play from your front porch. Maybe nobody has ever come to your need on a very bad day, or supported you through a life changing event. You've never seen a full moon and all the stars on a beautiful night, or made shapes of animals from puffy clouds. Have you watched a newborn elephant stand up for the first time or watched a Daddy give his daughter away at her wedding? A big bang can cause a comotion but it can't form all that.
I have actually experienced all these things (except having children, but my wife is also an atheist and bore two children). I simply don't find god a necessary explanation for them.

It is a common fallacy that atheists are sourpusses and hate life and everything and everyone. That is just a failure of imagination (and sometimes, projection!) on the part of theists. As i write this, my wife and both our dogs are next to me and my stepson is across the room and the sunlight after a storm is filtering in the room and all is well with the world in this moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality