Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 10:59 AM

9,327 posts, read 13,001,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I suppose this was posted to be argumentative. It's quite obvious that what QualerBaker said was what the SDA people claim about themselves. And, yes, they do say their bodies are temples.
Right. They do it because of their religious beliefs. Obviously, it’s not the beliefs that achieve the statistically significant life expectancy gains, but the actions associated with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2023, 11:21 AM

15,956 posts, read 7,018,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
the thread is not about Jews. so that is irrelevant to discussion.

the only point i am making is for accuracy in presenting data.
there is nothing "nitpicking" or "argumentative" about presenting data accurately.

that's why sources are useful, for readers to evaluate the validity of whatever statements are being made
I agree. I truly appreciate the effort you make to clarify salient points that get ignored and slants the message. It is important to first know exactly what the linked item said before going into divergent directions to prove something that was not the point
Thank you Tzaph for helping to keep the discussion interesting and informative rather than indulging speculations and wild attributions of motives.
Again longevity has a lot more to do than religion, diet and beliefs. Climate, environment, community, genetics all have a bearing.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Thank you Tzaph for helping to keep the discussion interesting and informative rather than indulging speculations and wild attributions of motives.
Irony alert.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:41 AM

88,544 posts, read 84,738,350 times
If a dingo eats your SDA baby, though, it can lower the life expectancy rate.

OK, I accept that I am in danger of hell for that one.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If a dingo eats your SDA baby, though, it can lower the life expectancy rate.

OK, I accept that I am in danger of hell for that one.
I missed that Seinfeld episode.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I missed that Seinfeld episode.
I didn't know there was a Seinfeld episode about it!

It was a terrible story, not just about the baby's death, but about the prejudices against the family because they were SDA.

Old 02-12-2023, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I didn't know there was a Seinfeld episode about it!

It was a terrible story, not just about the baby's death, but about the prejudices against the family because they were SDA.
I thought you were referencing this (per Elaine Benes, paragon of compassion and sensitivity):

I didn’t realize the actual baby eaten came from an SDA family, much less that anti-SDA prejudice further complicated the tragedy. You taught me something new today!

Last edited by ElijahAstin; 02-12-2023 at 12:01 PM.. Reason: My typo

Old 02-12-2023, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I thought you were referencing
:

I didn’t realize the actual baby eaten was SDA. You taught me something new today!
Yes, that was a big part of the story. The mother was basically tried in the press because people viewed the SDA as a cult. They even said the baby's name meant "sacrifice in the wilderness". The mother went to prison for murdering her baby, even giving birth to her next child while incarcerated.

Then a couple of years later, police investigating a suicide found the baby's clothing, and testing showed dingo saliva on it. She was telling the truth about having seen a dingo snatch the baby, and she was released from prison.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 02-12-2023 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: Incorrect statement

Old 02-12-2023, 12:16 PM

22,154 posts, read 19,210,182 times
Quote:
You claimed SDA vegetarianism was not religiously rooted because “only” 50% SDAs are vegetarian. I cited American Jews’ far lower Kashrut adherence rate to explain why that’s not a valid argument. You actually first brought up Jews in the thread when you cited a Pew study to attempt to refute the notion that SDAs are the longest-living religious group. Except that didn’t work because the Pew survey lumped all Christians together. But you’re not actually refuting anything. You’re twisting semantics and making strawman arguments that are often refuted by the very sources you cite. Listen: I love being Jewish, too, and we fare quite well in terms of life expectancy among religious groups. But we’re not #1, and you’re just going to have to accept that.Absolutely. And I don’t know why you keep repeating that strawman argument because no one claimed otherwise. And I posted a Wikipedia article with descriptions of and citations to numerous SDA longevity studies. Did you read it, or are you ignoring it because it doesn’t suit your agenda?
of course i looked at the links in the Wikipedia article, including the size of the research sample and the findings. And the focus is on California Adventists. Five studies were mentioned:

Adventist Mortality Study (1960) on 22,940 California Adventists, compared death rates to other Californians

Adventist Health Study 1 (AHS-1) (1974–1988) on 34,000 Californian Adventists over 25 years of age, links diet to cancer and coronary heart disease.

Adventist Health Air Pollution Study (ASHMOG) (1976-) on 6,328 California Adventists from California. looks at pollutants, respiratory diseases, lung cancer.

Adventist Health Study 2 (AHS-2) (2002- ) broader base of 96,741 Adventists in America and Canada. explores links between lifestyle, diet and disease. Findings include potential for vegetarianism to protect against obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic risk factors, reduced cancer risk for men.

Adventist Religion & Health Study (AHRS) (2006-2008) also known as the Biopsychosocial Religion and Health Study (BRHS), 11,835 subjects as of 2008. No findings reported in the Wikipedia article

To put this in perspective, there are 21 million Adventists in the world. Brazil has the largest Adventist population with 1.3 million. USA is second, followed by India, Phillipines, Peru, and Mexico. Of the 21 million Adventists in the world, 9,000 live in Loma Linda California. There is no longevity data or research findings for any area other than Loma Linda Califiornia in the links you or anyone else has provided thus far. If you have additional data sources, please share with readers.

Old 02-12-2023, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
of course i looked at the links in the Wikipedia article, including the size of the research sample and the findings. And the focus is on California Adventists. Five studies were mentioned:

Adventist Mortality Study (1960) on 22,940 California Adventists, compared death rates to other Californians

Adventist Health Study 1 (AHS-1) (1974–1988) on 34,000 Californian Adventists over 25 years of age, links diet to cancer and coronary heart disease.

Adventist Health Air Pollution Study (ASHMOG) (1976-) on 6,328 California Adventists from California. looks at pollutants, respiratory diseases, lung cancer.

Adventist Health Study 2 (AHS-2) (2002- ) broader base of 96,741 Adventists in America and Canada. explores links between lifestyle, diet and disease. Findings include potential for vegetarianism to protect against obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic risk factors, reduced cancer risk for men.

Adventist Religion & Health Study (AHRS) (2006-2008) also known as the Biopsychosocial Religion and Health Study (BRHS), 11,835 subjects as of 2008. No findings reported in the Wikipedia article

To put this in perspective, there are 21 million Adventists in the world. Brazil has the largest Adventist population with 1.3 million. USA is second, followed by India, Phillipines, Peru, and Mexico. Of the 21 million Adventists in the world, 9,000 live in Loma Linda California. There is no longevity data or research findings for any area other than Loma Linda Califiornia in the links you or anyone else has provided thus far. If you have additional data sources, please share with readers.
Right. It’s a series of case studies. But there isn’t anything special about Loma Linda, California, besides being an SDA stronghold (which makes it so well-suited for such case studies). It’s a very working class area and, apart from the University (which is not well-renowned or prestigious) is quite blue collar. Beverly Hills it is not.

If I can find such peer-reviewed studies in different geographic areas (which I imagine exist to at least some extent), I’d be happy to provide them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality