Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 09:24 AM

169 posts, read 779,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOYAS View Post
I read her statement to mean that she's wondering if there are major cultural/religious differences between Charlotte and Raleigh, but she understands that Raleigh is still in North Carolina, and does not expect any such differences between Charlotte and Raleigh to be as DRASTIC as the cultural/religious differences would be between Charlotte and (a place like) Morocco. In other words, she realizes that Charlotte and Raleigh will not be polar opposites, and that they will be similar in many ways, but she's still wondering if there are basic cultural/religious differences between the two cities...possibly that Raleigh is more religiously diverse. That's how I took her statement, but I could be wrong. I hope I'm not putting words in her mouth...
That makes total sense. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

I wouldn't say any US city is like Morocco.

Dawn
In general, this would be true-- but beyond the religion thing, Casablanca looks quite a bit like NYC, some Berber villages in the mountains had the same friendliness of rural farms in America, and the beach towns like Essouira certainly reminded me of coastal towns in the US, with the same relaxing vibe. People are people, no matter where.

Morocco is not that conservative as far as Muslim countries go and very open-minded. They love Americans, and they also really accept Jewish people (often uncommon in many Muslim countries). They used to have a large Jewish population.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,092,574 times
Sorry that your children were told they were going to hell. But I dont think it has anything to do with NC being in the Bible belt or whatever. Your children, mine, everybodys, will encounter people that will call them names or are mean in their life time. Its a part of life and growing up.

Old 05-01-2007, 01:33 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,688,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
Sorry that your children were told they were going to hell. But I dont think it has anything to do with NC being in the Bible belt or whatever. Your children, mine, everybodys, will encounter people that will call them names or are mean in their life time. Its a part of life and growing up.
It does have to do with being in the Bible Belt (my daughter has heard it to from classmates).

You really don't have that happening outside of the Bible Belt.

You call it 'kids being mean' I call it 'kids parroting what they are taught'.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:26 PM

1,341 posts, read 4,917,639 times
So where do the asians fit in then? All this talk about finding god has me concerned if and when we would choose to relo. I am glad that there is such a faith based culture (my own opinion)..but how are the asians treated out there?

Old 05-01-2007, 02:32 PM

362 posts, read 1,347,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Morocco? Have you been to Morocco? Very Muslim. Suni Muslim. The belief is that the king himself decended from Mohommad so he should be feared and obeyed.

I wouldn't say any US city is like Morocco.

Dawn
I think that was her point. She asked if Charlotte and Raleigh are culturally/religiously different. She was saying (I think) that she didn't expect Raleigh to be so different from Charlotte (largely Christian) that it resembles Morocco (99% Islamic). I think you missed muse's point altogether.

Old 05-01-2007, 02:43 PM

362 posts, read 1,347,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desdemona123 View Post
It does have to do with being in the Bible Belt (my daughter has heard it to from classmates).

You really don't have that happening outside of the Bible Belt.

You call it 'kids being mean' I call it 'kids parroting what they are taught'.
Very true. I agree that most children (outside the Bible Belt) generally do not give much thought to (positively or negatively) other children's religious beliefs. In my opinion, from what I've encountered, when children are just "being mean," they usually choose more superficial and/or easily noticed things to "be mean" about, such as clothing, glasses (four eyes!), weight, athletic ability, etc etc. When children are persecuting other children or adults for their religious beliefs, it is because they are repeating what they've heard their parents say...as desdemona123 said, "parroting what they are taught." In my opinion, it's just as much the parents' fault that their children are being bigots, as it is the childrens'.

Old 05-01-2007, 03:05 PM

549 posts, read 2,388,144 times
Actually Saint Peter's was established in the early 1850's.
http://www.stpeterscatholic.org/history
And yes Saint Patricks in Dilworth was started in the 1940's.

Belmont might be now be considered a suburb of Charlotte but back in the mid 20th-century it was considered kind of far. The Belmont Abby church is so pretty.

Of course New Orleans is going to be different than the rest of Lousiana. However the influences might be more suttle in the northern parts of the state than in south and southwest parts, but the Spanish and French influence left their mark in every aspect of everyday life. About 5% of the state population can still speak Cajun French and Louisiana Creole French. The state law there recognizes both English and French. Of course as times passes the number will dwindle less and less. Lousiana is one of the few states to have their laws based on the Napoleonic Civil Code.

Every big city is going to be different than the rest of the state but it will always share a common thread. Charlotte and Raleigh are different than the rest of the state of NC.

Old 05-01-2007, 05:38 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,513,572 times
I know many, many Chinese here.....in fact, we have a Chinese son and we are not Chinese.

I am not really sure what the question is....do you mean in terms of religion or do you mean in general?

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2gurls View Post
So where do the asians fit in then? All this talk about finding god has me concerned if and when we would choose to relo. I am glad that there is such a faith based culture (my own opinion)..but how are the asians treated out there?

Old 05-01-2007, 07:04 PM

70 posts, read 321,213 times
I find it sad to hear that people who dislike evangelical Christianity, a huge part of Southern culture, or at least being surrounded by it are still are deciding to move here in droves. I'm a transplant here from NY, but I moved down here because I wanted the Southern culture, religious environment, value system, etc. I wanted to get away from the frantic, urban life up there.

One of the beautiful things about this country is that there is a different place to fit everyone's lifestyle wants and needs. If you love the outdoors, hate hot weather, and love the liberal, secular scene- have fun in Seattle! If your idea of a great Saturday is going to museums, coffee shops, and world-class restaurants and bars- enjoy New York. If you want to live in a live-and-let live environment with a lot of land and hate the cold, find somewhere nice in the deserts of Arizona. If people who don't like the culture of where they are moving keep flooding in, everywhere will become the same bland, boring place. Do everyone a favor and don't move to places where you are offended by the natives! I personally am not "open-minded" enough for California and, though its a lovely state, will not subject them to my views!

Anyways, I just worry about the future of the South- my adopted home- and don't want it to become what I left behind. Let there be somewhere in this country for people with conservative, religious values to raise their children in an economically vibrant, beautiful area with tons of wholesome things to do.

If you don't like religion or social conservatives, I'm sure you could find a place you like in the Pacific Northwest or New England.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:26 PM

548 posts, read 2,652,652 times
I don't think it's that simple...that those who don't like religion or social conservatives should head elsewhere.

I am here b/c my husband's job is here. He was transferred here. I didn't just up and move here b/c I loved the idea of life here. I did love California. I did not love New England (but that was more a weather issue!).

Conservatives with religion (or without) can raise their children in the same neighborhoods as liberals with (or without) religion. I'm sure we could all find our "niche" and find others we "click" with even with those different from ourselves in the neighborhood. Just don't try to make me take on your beliefs and I'll do the same for you.

BTW silviodante, there are plenty of areas in NY with conservative religious types. You didn't need to leave the state just for that...or was it other things too? Hmm...perhaps things that liberals might want as well??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality