Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 09:03 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,427,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by utsci View Post
At the moment there are not a lot of "less expensive" options for renting. Anything under $1000 would not even be worth looking at. I know several people who have been looking for rentals in similar situations ($1500-$2000 range), except they have lived here a while and have good references, and many have not been able to find anything affordable in over a year.

The area historically has not had an abundance of rental units. And currently, the rental market is extremely tight. The average wage here does not allow most residents to purchase a house, difficult with even two incomes. College kids and 20-somethings are packing into rental units like sardines to bring the cost per person down.

3 bed/ 2 bath rentals were going for $1200 a few years ago, now going $2500+. Once you add in your filter of dog friendly you will find far fewer rentals. If you have kids and want to be in one of the better school zones..... Be wary of the ones wanting an application fee. Friends tell me that many of these never pan out and they walk away with your money.

Good luck and welcome to Reno!
Yeah,that's exactly the way it is in WA where I'm moving from.

Upon further examination of my finances,just the gas and a moving truck will set me back a good amount that I could be saving to make my way back east anyway...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 10:58 AM

265 posts, read 686,576 times
??? I can hardly see a better attraction to going east from NV or WA unless it might be cheaper, whereas I know Midwest would be far cheaper. You would have to deal with more snows and colder temps not to mention more traffic as it appears to me. Am I missing something truth 11? Peace.

Old 10-24-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
??? I can hardly see a better attraction to going east from NV or WA unless it might be cheaper, whereas I know Midwest would be far cheaper. You would have to deal with more snows and colder temps not to mention more traffic as it appears to me. Am I missing something truth 11?
You might be missing something,I'm trying to make my way back towards the northeast any way I can...

Old 10-24-2018, 12:47 PM

265 posts, read 686,576 times
Truth11, why are you going back? Have to do with COL in WA or just in the West for that matter? Is the West,PNW has gotten worse lately than the past 5 years that I haven't noticed? Thanx for any info you pass on.Cheers

Old 10-24-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatehumidity View Post
Truth11, why are you going back? Have to do with COL in WA or just in the West for that matter? Is the West,PNW has gotten worse lately than the past 5 years that I haven't noticed? Thanx for any info you pass on.Cheers
Nope going back because haven't been able to see my family out there in 3 years,so if I'm going to continue to be broke I may as well be able to see my family when I need to. That plus wife feels the same. I like the west,the weather is great and the cost of living really isn't all that bad yet. Sure there are parts where it's going up,but there are still areas where it's manageable.

Old 10-25-2018, 12:22 PM

6,373 posts, read 4,987,814 times
As someone who just moved here, it doesn't seem like Reno has a lot of serious crime on the level of larger cities, but the areas immediately west and north of downtown are places I wouldn't leave my bike locked up outside all night. I haven't seen any signs of gang activity, just some weirdos walking around late at night, loud arguments, etc.

Old 10-25-2018, 11:33 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
As someone who just moved here, it doesn't seem like Reno has a lot of serious crime on the level of larger cities, but the areas immediately west and north of downtown are places I wouldn't leave my bike locked up outside all night. I haven't seen any signs of gang activity, just some weirdos walking around late at night, loud arguments, etc.
You are spot on!

Old 01-02-2019, 03:52 PM

123 posts, read 520,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Would west of downtown be considered the Northwest area, such as where the areas for Mcqueen HS would be zoned for? Looking at areas and was considering that area.

Old 01-02-2019, 04:01 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,747,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Would west of downtown be considered the Northwest area, such as where the areas for Mcqueen HS would be zoned for? Looking at areas and was considering that area.
I guess the true definition according to the maps is anything west of North McCarran down to I-80 (generally called Somersett)...but I thought Northwest also included the area down to South McCarran. I could be wrong, though...

You should be aware that the Somersett area tends to be windier than most other areas in Reno-Sparks.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 01-02-2019 at 04:10 PM..

Old 01-02-2019, 09:55 PM

123 posts, read 520,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I guess the true definition according to the maps is anything west of North McCarran down to I-80 (generally called Somersett)...but I thought Northwest also included the area down to South McCarran. I could be wrong, though...

You should be aware that the Somersett area tends to be windier than most other areas in Reno-Sparks.
Ah I see. So would you say then that Somersett has a not so great crime rate then? It seems like an all new development kind of place, houses and shopping. Do you think that it being windy helps with cooling it down in the summer? I'm not too keen on high heat, not so much high winds either, but wondering if the winds at least help to make the heat more bearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area