Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 10:35 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,780,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacedmisplaced View Post
Ah I see. So would you say then that Somersett has a not so great crime rate then? It seems like an all new development kind of place, houses and shopping. Do you think that it being windy helps with cooling it down in the summer? I'm not too keen on high heat, not so much high winds either, but wondering if the winds at least help to make the heat more bearable.
I said nothing about crime rate, I don't know how you draw that conclusion.

If you want to know about crime rates, the general rule I follow is the further away from the freeways (and Virginia Street) the better. So neighborhoods in the foothills and up the mountains are more desirable. The exception would be Sun Valley/Lemmon Valley which is considered less desirable.

Many consider the windier areas (Washoe Valley, Arrowcreek, Somersett) too windy. I can tell you that if the wind kicks up in the winter when it's below freezing it's cold! During July, August and some of September, 90s are common with occasional 100s. At 4500 feet with clear air the sun is strong, but staying in shade makes a big difference because the air is dry. Coming from Seattle I can understand you'll have to get used to it.

Regarding school districts, someone else will have to chime in about that.

Last edited by Vic Romano; 01-02-2019 at 10:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 12:59 AM

123 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
I said nothing about crime rate, I don't know how you draw that conclusion.

If you want to know about crime rates, the general rule I follow is the further away from the freeways (and Virginia Street) the better. So neighborhoods in the foothills and up the mountains are more desirable. The exception would be Sun Valley/Lemmon Valley which is considered less desirable.

Many consider the windier areas (Washoe Valley, Arrowcreek, Somersett) too windy. I can tell you that if the wind kicks up in the winter when it's below freezing it's cold! During July, August and some of September, 90s are common with occasional 100s. At 4500 feet with clear air the sun is strong, but staying in shade makes a big difference because the air is dry. Coming from Seattle I can understand you'll have to get used to it.

Regarding school districts, someone else will have to chime in about that.
I mentioned the crime rate because someone said that west of downtown they wouldn't leave their bike around without locking it up, and you agreed. That's why I was asking about if that area was considered the west of downtown that was considered not so great...

Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 AM

Oh...his comment was about the immediate area surrounding downtown. Somersett is not that close. I feel my comments are still valid.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:23 AM

123 posts, read 521,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Oh...his comment was about the immediate area surrounding downtown. Somersett is not that close. I feel my comments are still valid.
Ok that's what I was trying to figure out, whether it was anything west of downtown or just west of downtown. I know where I live, a neighborhood just one away could be far different than the other and on paper it might look good, but once you get here, you realize the truth. Just a mom looking for safety for her family

Old 01-03-2019, 10:47 AM

You should visit for a few days so you understand. That would help you get a lay of the land.

A poster some time ago tried to criticize the Reno/Sparks area because he saw riff-raff in the downtown area. Painted the whole area as being terrible. Never even visited the areas outside downtown.

Well, what downtown area doesn't have riff-raff? Skid Row in Los Angeles is downright scary. But many areas away from downtown Reno and the commercial businesses are pretty good. IMHO, the Reno/Sparks area is mainly lower middle class to upper middle class. Not too much poverty and not much upper class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area