Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2021, 05:06 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sable8484 View Post
Carson is really low enough to have only had about three 6 in snows this past winter. It is mild, but too cool mid winter for my comfort in the am and later pm to be out doing much. If I don't buy a mobile this year, I will likely leave permanently.
So Carson City or even Dayton doesn't get much snow so it isn't necessary to get an AWD vehicle for snow?

Does Fernley and Fallon get lots of snow to warrant a new vehicle purchase with AWD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2021, 05:21 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
You do not NEED AWD in Carson City. You would be wise to have a FWD vehicle for your next purchase, but you can get by with RWD. There are plenty of people who live up at Tahoe even with FWD or RWD vehicles. You might have to 'chain-up' (nowadays 'cable-up') during storms though. You absolutely should have all-season tires on your vehicles here. I drove a RWD truck as a teen for years in Carson City. My FWD sedan was excellent in the ice and snow and my current AWD is actually about the same as the FWD sedan as far as sliding potential if I am not careful (pesky anti-lock brakes actually can make braking worse on ice).

Every winter is unique in Northern Nevada...sometimes we get a great deal of snow and it hangs around and other years we get 6 inches at most several times a month and it melts off fast. Lately, the city has been using the pre-treatments on many of the roads before a storm so ice doesn't really have a chance to hang around. It is usually VERY sunny here so most roads clear up by the late afternoon after a storm.

No, Fernley and Fallon do not get as much snow as Reno, Carson or Douglas County.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
You do not NEED AWD in Carson City. You would be wise to have a FWD vehicle for your next purchase, but you can get by with RWD. There are plenty of people who live up at Tahoe even with FWD or RWD vehicles. You might have to 'chain-up' (nowadays 'cable-up') during storms though. You absolutely should have all-season tires on your vehicles here. I drove a RWD truck as a teen for years in Carson City. My FWD sedan was excellent in the ice and snow and my current AWD is actually about the same as the FWD sedan as far as sliding potential if I am not careful (pesky anti-lock brakes actually can make braking worse on ice).

Every winter is unique in Northern Nevada...sometimes we get a great deal of snow and it hangs around and other years we get 6 inches at most several times a month and it melts off fast. Lately, the city has been using the pre-treatments on many of the roads before a storm so ice doesn't really have a chance to hang around. It is usually VERY sunny here so most roads clear up by the late afternoon after a storm.

No, Fernley and Fallon do not get as much snow as Reno, Carson or Douglas County.
I only have rear wheel drive vehicles and you can't put on chains on them.

Old 05-06-2021, 05:59 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
So Carson City or even Dayton doesn't get much snow so it isn't necessary to get an AWD vehicle for snow?

Does Fernley and Fallon get lots of snow to warrant a new vehicle purchase with AWD?
Not really. If you have a truck or SUV, it might be helpful to get 3 Peak tires (winter designated, not the same as dedicated snow tires). But still not necessary. I have a RWD truck with 3 Peak tires. One AWD and one FWD with all-season tires. Never had any problems, but I make sure I don't go out when it's icy (night/very early morning after a snow or rain).

The snow increases significantly over 5,000 feet. Below that you're really more worried about ice in the mornings. Even if there's an occasional heavy snow (over 6 inches) it usually melts in one or two days.

There might be occasions I-80 might be closed or chains are required between Fernley and Reno, but again that is relatively rare and only for one or two days.

Pay attention to the weatherman and you can plan around it...

Regarding Sable's comment, Tahoe is 7-10 degrees cooler than Carson City, not the other way around...

Old 05-06-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
Not really. If you have a truck or SUV, it might be helpful to get 3 Peak tires (winter designated, not the same as dedicated snow tires). But still not necessary. I have a RWD truck with 3 Peak tires. One AWD and one FWD with all-season tires. Never had any problems, but I make sure I don't go out when it's icy (night/very early morning after a snow or rain).

The snow increases significantly over 5,000 feet. Below that you're really more worried about ice in the mornings. Even if there's an occasional heavy snow (over 6 inches) it usually melts in one or two days.

There might be occasions I-80 might be closed or chains are required between Fernley and Reno, but again that is relatively rare and only for one or two days.

Pay attention to the weatherman and you can plan around it...

Regarding Sable's comment, Tahoe is 7-10 degrees cooler than Carson City, not the other way around...
Does the snow or chemicals they use in these areas in Northern Nevada rot out the bottom of your car?

Old 05-06-2021, 10:09 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Does the snow or chemicals they use in these areas in Northern Nevada rot out the bottom of your car?
They use a brine. You will see light ripples of white stuff on the road the day before a snowstorm. I have not seen many rusty cars at all in the valley. As long as you get a periodic car wash during the winter and early spring where they wash the undercarriage you will be fine. Nothing like the salt they use back east. Remember it's dry here too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area