Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2020, 11:24 PM

70 posts, read 85,763 times

Advertisements

What are your summers like in the Carson City area? How many days are you getting in the 90s and above? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2020, 11:06 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,750,850 times
90s (and a very rare 100) for about 2 months a year, July and August. Starts cooling off about the first week or two of September.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:32 PM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
Pretty much what Vic said, every summer is unique though....this summer has been mild except for August with the 90 degree temps each day. A few summers have started earlier and reached 100 or more for a few weeks, but that is rare...other summers we have had snow or hail in June and July occasionally! We do have a high UV rating that makes it wise to wear hats and sunscreen while outdoors.

Also, the heat here is almost always a dry heat, very different from humid climates and the higher temps are more tolerable if you mitigate the high UV with hats/sunglasses/sunscreen and keep yourself hydrated.

Evenings almost always cool down considerably, open windows are often enough to sleep comfortably and there is often a nice breeze blowing...sometimes it gets so chilly at night in the summer I have to close the windows. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, you can almost always find cooler temps early in the morning or later in the early evening to get outside and enjoy the trails in the area.

Newer homes in Carson City often have central air, older homes often do not. However, because we have a dry climate, many people just use swamp coolers here to add some moisture into the air in their homes while they keep it cool.

I have both central air and a swamp cooler and mostly use the swamp cooler.

Last edited by ChrisMT; 08-24-2020 at 04:47 PM..

Old 08-24-2020, 05:14 PM

1,169 posts, read 750,640 times
https://web.archive.org/web/20140714...-warming-trend

Old 04-19-2021, 10:17 PM

85 posts, read 133,330 times
There is no valley snow in June or July as the average temps are in the (87-90) range at that time.

Old 04-19-2021, 11:24 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
How much snowfall and rain in Carson to Dayton up to Fernley?

Old 04-20-2021, 10:26 AM

783 posts, read 838,525 times
Snowfall is usually location/elevation dependent. Homes in the Sierra foothills or higher elevations will have heavier snowfall than homes in lower elevations or farther away from the Sierras.

Dayton usually has considerably less snowfall and it melts fast... it might be snowing in Carson City/Reno/Douglas and raining in the rural counties, same with Fallon/Fernley. You can find stats on rain/snowfall/climate by location on weather related sites such as:

https://wrcc.dri.edu/Climate/narrative_nv.php

Last edited by ChrisMT; 04-20-2021 at 10:40 AM..

Old 04-21-2021, 06:30 AM

330 posts, read 428,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMT View Post
Pretty much what Vic said, every summer is unique though....this summer has been mild except for August with the 90 degree temps each day. A few summers have started earlier and reached 100 or more for a few weeks, but that is rare...other summers we have had snow or hail in June and July occasionally! We do have a high UV rating that makes it wise to wear hats and sunscreen while outdoors.

Also, the heat here is almost always a dry heat, very different from humid climates and the higher temps are more tolerable if you mitigate the high UV with hats/sunglasses/sunscreen and keep yourself hydrated.

Evenings almost always cool down considerably, open windows are often enough to sleep comfortably and there is often a nice breeze blowing...sometimes it gets so chilly at night in the summer I have to close the windows. If you are an outdoor enthusiast, you can almost always find cooler temps early in the morning or later in the early evening to get outside and enjoy the trails in the area.

Newer homes in Carson City often have central air, older homes often do not. However, because we have a dry climate, many people just use swamp coolers here to add some moisture into the air in their homes while they keep it cool.

I have both central air and a swamp cooler and mostly use the swamp cooler.
I lived in Carson for years and this post sums it up nicely.

Old 04-21-2021, 03:48 PM

5,583 posts, read 5,011,098 times
I would think just using the air conditioner would work for me as I prefer 55-70 degrees. As soon as it hits 77 I turn the air on.

Old 05-06-2021, 04:21 PM

85 posts, read 133,330 times
Default We are usually 7-10 cooler than Tahoe

Carson is really low enough to have only had about three 6 in snows this past winter. It is mild, but too cool mid winter for my comfort in the am and later pm to be out doing much. If I don't buy a mobile this year, I will likely leave permanently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Reno-Sparks area