Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 06:15 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,921,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
But my whole point is, you had your 30 days. And threatening us now is .... What? Stupid? Illegal? IDK.
And you're right. The details are irrelevant. Ignore him and don't waste money on a lawyer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 06:31 AM

9,549 posts, read 7,119,011 times
Has anyone ever heard of a law requiring tenants to disclose damage to the LL? He says its in our lease (its not). He says we forfeit the money because we didn't disclose things like the tangled cord. I don't think that's correct.

Old 08-15-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Has anyone ever heard of a law requiring tenants to disclose damage to the LL? He says its in our lease (its not). He says we forfeit the money because we didn't disclose things like the tangled cord. I don't think that's correct.
If during your tenancy something gets broken and needs to be fixed (whether the breakage/breakdown is your fault or just one of those things) you're required under state landlord law to notify the LL so that he can take care of it whether the expense is to be borne by you or him. A tangled cord is not one of those things. He's the one with the tangled cords. Again, ignore him, block his calls and his email access. If he's really stupid enough to file a claim against you you'll have ample time to respond to the summons.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:13 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,698,121 times
You have a written settlement agreement from a lawyer, who agreed to settle for deducting $250 from your security deposit, if you agreed to cash the check he sent.

End of story.

If you want to shut him up, send him a letter like this:

Dear Bully Attorney:

I have a written settlement agreement from you, an attorney, offering to withhold $250 from my deposit. In order to accept this settlement offer, you required that I cash the check, which I have done.

If you really want to go to court and explain to the judge, that you, as an attorney, are now harassing me and asking me for more money, and threatening to sue me if I don't give it to you, then I will be happy to see you in court. I will also contact the bar association regarding your conduct.

I expect to hear no further word from you, and I also expect a reference from you in the future as my previous landlord, that states, in truth, that I paid rent on time, and that the tenancy was terminated as agreed.

Most Sincerely,

You

The law is the same law whether you are an attorney or not. He has a lot more to lose here as far as getting in trouble with the bar association, than you do in facing him in court. So, call his bluff, and enjoy it :-)

EDIT: And I agree wholeheartedly with STTR that you don't need an attorney, unless he actually goes through with suing you in civil court. If he's stupid enough to file in civil court, first contact the bar association and send him a copy of the letter you send them. He'll drop it.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:22 AM

16,786 posts, read 49,246,030 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
If during your tenancy something gets broken and needs to be fixed (whether the breakage/breakdown is your fault or just one of those things) you're required under state landlord law to notify the LL so that he can take care of it whether the expense is to be borne by you or him. A tangled cord is not one of those things. He's the one with the tangled cords. Again, ignore him, block his calls and his email access. If he's really stupid enough to file a claim against you you'll have ample time to respond to the summons.
My only quibble with this is that every state has different laws and I have yet to see this one written into the law in my state.

Old 08-15-2013, 11:59 AM

Several things did need fixing during our lease through no fault of our own and the LL was alerted at the time.

I considered contacting the state bar but I'm not sure if he will then retaliate more.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
My only quibble with this is that every state has different laws and I have yet to see this one written into the law in my state.
See landlord maintenance stipulations. I'd be very surprised if your state didn't address these as this is universal.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:

I considered contacting the state bar but I'm not sure if he will then retaliate more.
I remain adamant that you should ignore him at this point and block his attempts to contact you. Wait and see if he follows through with a claim against you.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I remain adamant that you should ignore him at this point and block his attempts to contact you. Wait and see if he follows through with a claim against you.
That is the plan right now. Thanks for your input.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,698,121 times
Quote:
Several things did need fixing during our lease through no fault of our own and the LL was alerted at the time.

Things that needed fixing don't matter anymore. It's over. He settled.

I'd simply threaten to contact the bar. I doubt you will have to actually do it. But, if you do, here's the Grievance Committee of the North Carolina Bar contact info, and the complaint form you would need:

http://www.ncbar.com/PDFs/22.pdf

I'm assuming by your name that you are in NC.

If you complain to the bar, and he bothers you further, complain again. Call the cops and ask them if you can file a complaint about him harassing you. I've done this before with tenants that have harassed me about wanting to move back into the building and kept calling and coming around. The cops called them and told them to knock it off or they could get arrested. He doesn't get a free pass just because he's a lawyer, and as I've said, he can lose his career.

In fact, in the letter I wrote above, insert that you will contact the "Grievance Committee of the North Carolina Bar Association," instead of just the "bar association." It will show that you either looked it up, or got legal advice.

Truly, the worst that can happen is he'll take you to court anyway. But he won't, unless he's a meth addict or something. At any rate, he would lose. He is an attorney who knows the law and negotiated a settlement agreement with you. No judge is going to say he gets a do-over. Call his bluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting