Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 10:37 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times

Advertisements

Most banks can be reached by phone almost 24/7 so I don't buy that and I happened to be calling my bank the other day at 8 pm due to a charge that shouldn't be on my account and they revised it.

I know that banking centers are closed at 4 pm but by phone to ask a question or login to your online account to check it out should be possible IF the OP has a bank account but by paying by check the OP needs to have a bank account and it should be possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2014, 10:40 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
The landlord is possibly a little disorganized anyway, if they waited until the 18th to let you know your rent, which is now 18 days late, has not been received.

I have rent due on the 1st and grace period through the 5th. On the 6th, or the 7th at the very latest, every tenant who hasn't paid gets a phone call. If they waited until the 18th to contact you, that is fairly irresponsible of them.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:57 AM

24,202 posts, read 19,210,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post
Based on the time of the OP, a couple of you guys could relax a bit. Banks aren't typicalltypically open at 1am (4am either).

The check could have been misplaced. The payment credited to the wrong account. Or any other number of things. We all make mistakes from time to time even when we try extra hard to prevent them.

OP, if you come back, get a copy of your cancelled check and take it to the landlord. If you don't have a cancelled check, write a new one and explain the situation.
I think the advice might have been a bit more "relaxed" if the OP hadn't talked about wanting to take legal action against his landlord regarding a check that he hasn't even bothered to confirm has been cashed.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:02 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NToma99 View Post
This is why i always hand my monthly rent to the landlord and ask for a signed receipt that is dated. Never depend on a "dropbox"
My landlord lives a block away yet does not want come get the rent.

I had to beg her to pick up her rent.
It was due the 5th but she did not come around until the 22nd.

Old 11-21-2014, 03:11 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

If she's not charging you late fees, what's the problem? My landlord does the same thing - sometimes comes on the rent day and sometimes up to a week or more later depending on her schedule. I write the cheque on the due date and just keep it handy.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:33 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:

If that bothers you so badly you can always walk/run/stroll/skip or drive the block to hand deliver the check. As long as the check is ready, and you're not being charged a late fee, I can't see the problem here.

Old 11-21-2014, 05:01 AM

27,214 posts, read 46,745,966 times
Quote:

Since when is a LL responsible to pick up the rent? It is the duty of a tenant to make sure rent is paid on time not the other way around. I had tenants asking me to pick it up and I have done it a few times but always told them if I can't make it than it is not my fault since it is a courtesy and the mail box is in front of their house and we do accept bill pay and PayPal....

Now we don't longer do it since it always ended in not being respected and people only getting upset for the nice gesture so get it to us on time like all others do and only the bad payers always have an excuse, the rest will just pay on time.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:54 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Since when is a LL responsible to pick up the rent? It is the duty of a tenant to make sure rent is paid on time not the other way around. I had tenants asking me to pick it up and I have done it a few times but always told them if I can't make it than it is not my fault since it is a courtesy and the mail box is in front of their house and we do accept bill pay and PayPal....

Now we don't longer do it since it always ended in not being respected and people only getting upset for the nice gesture so get it to us on time like all others do and only the bad payers always have an excuse, the rest will just pay on time.
Exactly what I was thinking. If a landlord lives nearby and only has 1 rental, and their preferred method is to pick up the check, then ok. But for most landlords, they don't have the time to drive around to every rental and pick up the rent checks. It is the tenant's responsibility to pay rent, not the landlord's responsibility to collect it.

We have 160ish rental properties, and we've had tenants try to pull the "you didn't come pick it up from me", or "I didn't have a ride to come to your office" baloney. I just hand them a sheet of address labels and remind them that the post office delivers from their door to mine.

Old 11-21-2014, 09:12 AM

109 posts, read 554,744 times
We never had a landlord picking up the rent. They always want it in the mail or by direct deposit. We unfortunately don't get a receipt, but I try to send the rent check a week or two in advance and monitor the bank account online to make sure it cleared by the first. Sometimes landlords wait a bit to deposit the checks after the due date, then I call and make sure it was received. The latest we have ever sent our rent was about three days before due date, and even that made me nervous to be late. Our late payment fee is brutal.
Also, watch for the bank to clear the correct amount. My bank made mistake two times and paid the wrong amount on a couple of (non-rent) checks even though the checks clearly had it spelled. They underpaid both times, so I now watch for that as well to avoid late fees.
I wish we had Pay-pal which is awesome.

Old 12-03-2016, 09:00 PM

1 posts, read 709 times
We paid our rent in October 2016 received a receipt for our payment for our rent. Week in half later we was told by the management that they lost our check. Yes we received a receipt at the same time we paid our rent. We was told our receipt does not mean nothing by the owners representive. I told the owner representative in my world a receipt is everything. I am lost for words. I have a receipt with the check
number on it that saids rent was paid with a check.
So many managers are on the take now days, that's for sure. What's sad is the courts protect these people, unbelievable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting