Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 09:20 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
We paid our rent in October 2016 received a receipt for our payment for our rent. Week in half later we was told by the management that they lost our check. Yes we received a receipt at the same time we paid our rent. We was told our receipt does not mean nothing by the owners representive. I told the owner representative in my world a receipt is everything. I am lost for words. I have a receipt with the check
number on it that saids rent was paid with a check.
So many managers are on the take now days, that's for sure. What's sad is the courts protect these people, unbelievable.
That receipt does mean something. And no judge is going to protect a LL who wrote a receipt and entered your check number on it. You just simply stop pay on the check that was written and write another one and give it to them and get another receipt. I would charge the LL for the cost of of what the bank charges you for the stop payment.

And, if your initial receipt for Oct rent shows that you paid on time then there is no way they can charge you a late fee on your October rent now that you have to issue another one. Also, make sure to save the receipt for October and do not ever destroy in case they come back on you for a late fee down the road or when you move. They might try deducting a late fee for that Oct rent from your sec dep once you move so you will need to always save that receipt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 10:08 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Sorry but you rather write on a forum first than calling the bank?

Priorities...!

My bank has never been ready to take my call at 2:19 AM on a Saturday.

Maybe the OP's bank has misplaced priorities.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:10 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Right now, you have no idea whether you've paid the rent or not. CALL YOUR BANK.

Read the lease, if the OP did everything in compliance with the lease, they paid the rent.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:15 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,708,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Read the lease, if the OP did everything in compliance with the lease, they paid the rent.
You are responding to 2 year old posts. I am sure they have been taken care of by now.

Don't you have a guy to respond to about a phone somewhere? Why the hold up?

Old 12-04-2016, 06:54 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,033,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
You are responding to 2 year old posts. I am sure they have been taken care of by now.

Don't you have a guy to respond to about a phone somewhere? Why the hold up?
In another thread he said he couldn't get it 'general delivery'......excuse after excuse.

Old 12-04-2016, 08:50 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
In another thread he said he couldn't get it 'general delivery'......excuse after excuse.
I'm sure he'd have a problem if someone offered to hand deliver it right to his door.

Old 12-04-2016, 10:52 AM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn B View Post
We paid our rent in October 2016 received a receipt for our payment for our rent. ..........
Your rent is not paid until the cash is in the landlord's hands. If your bank says that check was cashed, you get a copy of the cancelled check and sent that with a copy of the receipt to the landlord.

If the check never cleared the bank, you still owe the rent. Put a stop payment on the lost check and issue another check. Because you have a receipt that you paid on time, you do not owe any late fees. You do still owe the rent.

Old 12-04-2016, 02:55 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
I stopped paying my rent with checks because a former landlord lost a stack of checks and money orders. Some residents had to stop payment on the money order (which can take weeks).

I pay online and it's debited from my account the next day. I have proof of payment via email receipt and bank statement if there is ever a dispute.

Old 12-05-2016, 09:24 AM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,254,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I pay online and it's debited from my account the next day. I have proof of payment via email receipt and bank statement if there is ever a dispute.
One big advantage of doing it that way is that if the landlord loses the payment, it's resolved between the landlord and your bank, not between your landlord and you. Saves you from a conflict with your landlord, making it easier to stay on good terms. You don't have to stop payment or anything, but just have your bank and landlord communicate with each other to resolve the problem.

Old 12-05-2016, 10:21 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,717,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eok View Post
One big advantage of doing it that way is that if the landlord loses the payment, it's resolved between the landlord and your bank, not between your landlord and you. Saves you from a conflict with your landlord, making it easier to stay on good terms. You don't have to stop payment or anything, but just have your bank and landlord communicate with each other to resolve the problem.
I'd imagine that most landlords who accept electronic payments use some sort of a processing company (similar to a credit card processor). They probably debit the money from renters, and put it in some kind of account (similar to PayPal I guess), then the landlord receives the money weekly, monthly, or whenever.

So if the landlord claims there is a problem, it's really between them and the payment processor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting