Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2016, 10:59 AM

103 posts, read 221,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
The lobby, common areas, and grounds are not your home. Management can't forbid cell phone use inside your own apartment, which is your (rented) home. Don't make the mistake of getting all territorial over an apartment that belongs to someone else and not to you.

If you want to make repeated calls about how unfair the rules are to live there, I suggest that you save up enough money to move to a new place. Management might come to the conclusion that you are not happy there and let you out of your lease at lease renewal time. It's not like they don't have a long list of tenants waiting to get into that subsidized housing. It's not like you can't be replaced very easily.

I have to ask: if you are not one of the people standing around in the lobby talking on your cell phone, why does this rule bother you so much? Make your calls before you leave your apartment or step out through the front door before you make your call.
Let me ask you this. How would you feel if someone passed a law saying you couldn't talk on your cell phone in public or even outside of your home while on your own property? How might this cause an inconvenience to you? Think about this for a little bit and then you might understand why the renter might be upset.

And just because the tenant is in subsidized housing does not mean they have to put up with everything and practically be a slave. The landlord is still getting the same amount of money if not even more as a result of their tenancy. The tenant is entitled to a home and not a prison.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 03:28 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf231 View Post
Yes, there were complaints about a certain person being rude while talking on their cell phone in the community room. And lots of people DID complain. That is why they made the rule. But... I don't think it fair to ban all cell phone use because of one person. And I know it's just one person, I know everybody who lives here and have been here long enough to know what's going on. But seriously, do you all really think this rule should be made just because of one person being rude??? I mean, why don't the managers go and talk to that one person who's causing this problem. Everybody says that they have to make the rule for everybody or else it's discrimination, but from the way I see it making everybody else suffer for one person is discrimination. Whatever your definition of discrimination is, I don't get all that. The previous manager was one of the best and nicest persons I ever knew, and was more of a friend than a manager. But these people...

There's no point in contacting Stratford, I've done it over and over and you don't get anywhere. I've just come to accept that these people are a bit rule happy. Have any of you ever seen that Harry Potter movie where one of the evil people puts up so many rules it literally covers a whole wall? That's what this place is like, and until you've lived here, you would never understand.
They Cant! Cause then that opens them up to a Law suit. So when there is 1 Bad Apple They have to Cover their Butts & Make a Rule that EVERYONE has to follow. When you and the other tenants Complained they did the Only thing they could do.

Old 07-31-2016, 03:32 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,438,954 times
They could restrict being loud (even this is hard to enforce), but not specifically your cell phone use.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:02 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,910,099 times
I own where I live (townhome development) and some idiot paces the sidewalk under my bedroom window....I've heard one side of every conversation, most conducted at 2 am in the morning and my windows are closed. This has nothing to do with ownership, but more about common courtesy of your neighbors.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,769,264 times
That's a whole diff. topic, but common courtesy is sadly lacking these days.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:19 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
They could restrict being loud (even this is hard to enforce), but not specifically your cell phone use.

The OP rents a unit and has access to the common areas. Access that is subject to community rules. While the can't restrict cell phone usage in his unit, they most certainly can restrict it from common areas such as the community rooms and in hallways outside of other units.

It's a cell phone..not an 02 tank/medical device...he will not die if he can't use his phone in the community room or hallway.

We've fired people because of their cell phone usage. They were fully well aware of the cell phone policy and believe they had a 'right' to use their phone where ever they wanted. Guess what? They were wrong and now sit home with no cell phone because they don't have a job to pay the bill.

I've seen people removed from hospitals, libraries, movie theaters and classrooms because of their 'right' to have their cell phone. The OP has a right to use his phone in his unit; they unit HE somewhat pays for. He leaves that right when he enters the common/shared area of the complex/world.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:30 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
I own where I live (townhome development) and some idiot paces the sidewalk under my bedroom window....I've heard one side of every conversation, most conducted at 2 am in the morning and my windows are closed. This has nothing to do with ownership, but more about common courtesy of your neighbors.

Common courtesy is the issue here. The managers have decided that some cell phone users aren't being courteous and have implemented a new rule for everyone. No different than many of the other rules we have to live by on daily basis.

I've had this happen to me at 0300, but it was a couple sitting on their patio chatting. They weren't trying to be disruptive, but I doubt they realized how far their voices carried. I didn't say anything to them at that point, I just closed my window. I did mention it in passing the next time I saw them and they apologized; not realizing how 'loud' they were.

Cell phone are great and I love mine, but I don't let it run my life and I don't treat like it's my right to have/use/carry any where I want. Now my gun on the other hand... that IS my right to have/use/carry (I carry all the time, except where prohibited by law/company policy and then I just don't eat/shop there)

Old 08-01-2016, 04:47 AM

20 posts, read 17,989 times
No, I didn't complain. Personally I think this place has gone to...well. You get the picture. But I'm stuck here for now, I have no money to move, and personally I don't know where I'd move to... I'm in a great location, but just bad management. I don't have much of a choice, unless I want to take a chance and move somewhere I might hate more. I don't know what to do. Even though this is rule, people still don't follow it. They just cover the walls and hallways with papers. I think the management is incompetent, and if enough people were to complain, maybe they would be looking for a new home... But so many new people have moved in they don't know what's going on and they kiss the managers butt because they don't know any different. When I have complained in the past the mangagers get really angry and childish and do anything to retaliate, slamming doors, etc. So it's hard getting anywhere with people you can't even trust with your own safety.

Old 08-01-2016, 07:21 AM

6,816 posts, read 11,536,435 times
This sounds like an over-55 building my MIL lived in. Overbearing, vindictive management. Since you're unable to move, I'll give you same advice I did her. Ignore them to the extent possible. When other residents start bit*****, don't get drawn in. Concern yourself only with situations that directly impact you and no others. Life is too short to get involved with so much drama.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:08 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,282,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
Buy a Cell Blocker.... Problem solved
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting