Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 11:25 PM

20 posts, read 18,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okey Dokie View Post
This sounds like an over-55 building my MIL lived in. Overbearing, vindictive management. Since you're unable to move, I'll give you same advice I did her. Ignore them to the extent possible. When other residents start bit*****, don't get drawn in. Concern yourself only with situations that directly impact you and no others. Life is too short to get involved with so much drama.
That's just how it is around here, exactly what you said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 12:33 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,054,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmfl View Post
Let me ask you this. How would you feel if someone passed a law saying you couldn't talk on your cell phone in public or even outside of your home while on your own property? How might this cause an inconvenience to you? Think about this for a little bit and then you might understand why the renter might be upset.
They're not "on their own property". They're on someone else's property. Nobody is telling them they can't talk on their phone in the apartment they actually rent.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:54 PM

110 posts, read 135,250 times
That's the stupidest rule

Old 10-22-2016, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
This sounds awesome. I lived at an apartment once that was kind of motel styled with a walk way common area balcony to get to each individual door. The neighbor would talk on his cell phone as loud as humanly possible for hours every day and night. Sometimes it would be at 2am screaming into his phone.
Well, it's not the case here. So it's not Awesome. It's a steaming pile of horse hockey. And anybody who thinks these rules should be in place are not playing with a full deck.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
They're not "on their own property". They're on someone else's property. Nobody is telling them they can't talk on their phone in the apartment they actually rent.
Yes, I am on my own property. I pay the damn bill as much as anyone else, so I have every right.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradigmfl View Post
Let me ask you this. How would you feel if someone passed a law saying you couldn't talk on your cell phone in public or even outside of your home while on your own property? How might this cause an inconvenience to you? Think about this for a little bit and then you might understand why the renter might be upset.

And just because the tenant is in subsidized housing does not mean they have to put up with everything and practically be a slave. The landlord is still getting the same amount of money if not even more as a result of their tenancy. The tenant is entitled to a home and not a prison.
Yes, that's exactly what this place has become, a prison. I'm afraid to walk out my door for fear of being assaulted by the managers. They are very angry violent people.

Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 PM

8,398 posts, read 3,583,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf231 View Post
O ****! I own it as much as anybody else does.
How do you own it? Renting doesn't make you an owner.

Old 10-23-2016, 05:26 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,129,444 times
Quote:
Yes, I am on my own property. I pay the damn bill as much as anyone else, so I have every right.
No, you are not on your own property. You pay for the unit in which you live, so you're free to use your phone within your four walls. Outside of those four walls all residents must abide by the 'house' rules.

Your rights end your front door and if you don't like living there, you are welcome to move. No one is forcing your to live there.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:37 AM

863 posts, read 1,201,305 times
No small doubt this "rule" is a result of complaints from other tenants. Most managers don't create arbitrary, micro managing rules for their own amusement.....enforcing them only adds to their aggravation. If your subsidised complex isn't age restricted, it probably has mentally disabled as well as psychologically disabled tenants. Some of those people (as well as some elderly folks) need rules to remind them of the simplest aspects of common courtesy and common sense. Rules like: don't flush paper towels, don't use common laundry facilities to wash items soiled with feces, pick up after your pet, don't leave your apartment door open, move your cars when the snow plows show up, take out your trash before the smell permeates the hallways.....etc.

Stupid rules are the trade off for living in many subsidised housing complexes. Just like the multitude of laws our government puts in place, the majority have to toe the line for the stupidity of the few.

Old 10-23-2016, 06:29 PM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,276,204 times
Quote:
O ****! I own it as much as anybody else does.
I think you are confused about what the term 'own' means. You rent. You are allowed access to some areas under certain rules. The public area that you are talking about is different than your apartment. There can be rules there that prohibit things that you don't like. That is how it goes.

Another thing, no matter how big a tantrum you throw on this forum will not change the rules at your apartment building. I am not sure why you don't understand that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting