Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 08:16 AM

19,470 posts, read 28,044,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I never heard of this, hope it's true.
It's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
Many HOAs have rules about percentage of renters. That may be what she was looking for.
This was my first thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM

3,446 posts, read 4,746,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForLoveOnly View Post
What city do you live in? City laws overrule HOA bylaws. I had 7 dogs. 3 were work dogs. My HOA couldn't enforce their 2 dog rule since my city had a 4 dog rule. My max was 17 for two weeks during an emergency.
Quote:
Btw. 4 of the dogs are 90-100 pounds+.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
I never heard of this, hope it's true.
It is hogwash. That poster has it all wrong. Actually as a rule, city/state laws will trump a lease however, this is NOT one of the laws that does. The city is only stating a maximum amount of dogs allowed per residence however, a LL has every right to restrict that to less than that max OR to even "no dogs allowed" for that matter.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:04 PM

6,861 posts, read 11,655,660 times
Chill for now. Neighbor said they had meeting about numbers of owners vs. renters, and that's what she asked about. I assume the word "dog" was not uttered. Cross that bridge when you come to it. But I wouldn't acquire any additional pets right now either.

Old 11-21-2016, 12:18 PM

89,019 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
It's not.

This was my first thought.
Another thought...we recently decided to charge owners who are renting a fee of $100 per year. Brings in a tidy $2700 to offset the operating deficit. Owners are supposed to notify if the rent out, so maybe that HOA is doing something similar.

Old 11-21-2016, 01:29 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,146,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
It is hogwash. That poster has it all wrong. Actually as a rule, city/state laws will trump a lease however, this is NOT one of the laws that does. The city is only stating a maximum amount of dogs allowed per residence however, a LL has every right to restrict that to less than that max OR to even "no dogs allowed" for that matter.
I thought the OP was asking about their HOA dog rule.

Obviously a LL can choose if pets/no pets are allowed in a rental.

Old 11-21-2016, 02:04 PM

Quote:
What city do you live in? City laws overrule HOA bylaws. I had 7 dogs. 3 were work dogs. My HOA couldn't enforce their 2 dog rule since my city had a 4 dog rule. My max was 17 for two weeks during an emergency.
Quote:
I thought the OP was asking about their HOA dog rule.

Obviously a LL can choose if pets/no pets are allowed in a rental.
The OP was talking about HOA dog rules. But what you stated about city laws vs. HOA rules is not correct. HOA is not allowed to go over the maximum that the city ordinance allows per residence however, the HOA can mandate any rules they want for pets as long as it doesn't exceed the city ordinance maximum.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
The OP was talking about HOA dog rules. But what you stated about city laws vs. HOA rules is not correct. HOA is not allowed to go over the maximum that the city ordinance allows per residence however, the HOA can mandate any rules they want for pets as long as it doesn't exceed the city ordinance maximum.
I never said HOA can go over city ordinance. I said the city law overrides HOA bylaw (at least where I live, which is why I asked the OP where he lived). Maybe it's different in each state.

My HOA bylaw says 2 max dogs. The city says 4 adult dogs. That does not include puppies. I'm not 100% sure but it may be up to 15 for under 6 months old.

I had my 4 "pet" dogs living with me in my house. The HOA could not enforce the two dog rule. All the other dogs I had either belonged to the city/state. HOA did not have the authority to enforce any "rules" over them, nor could they fine me for having them in addition to my "pet" dogs.

Old 11-21-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
I never said HOA can go over city ordinance. I said the city law overrides HOA bylaw (at least where I live, which is why I asked the OP where he lived). Maybe it's different in each state.

My HOA bylaw says 2 max dogs. The city says 4 adult dogs. That does not include puppies. I'm not 100% sure but it may be up to 15 for under 6 months old.

I had my 4 "pet" dogs living with me in my house. The HOA could not enforce the two dog rule. All the other dogs I had either belonged to the city/state. HOA did not have the authority to enforce any "rules" over them, nor could they fine me for having them in addition to my "pet" dogs.
Oh brother, and I never said that you did say that 'HOA can go over city ordinance' or override the city ordinance. Where are you getting that from? If you read my posts again you will see that I said if the city ordinance is max 4 dogs that means that no resident can have over 4 dogs. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean that a LL has to allow 4 dogs. A LL can choose to allow anywhere from NO dogs UP TO 4 dogs. They do not have to allow 4 dogs. That would be pure insanity!

Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Oh brother, and I never said that you did say that 'HOA can go over city ordinance' or override the city ordinance. Where are you getting that from? If you read my posts again you will see that I said if the city ordinance is max 4 dogs that means that no resident can have over 4 dogs. HOWEVER, that does NOT mean that a LL has to allow 4 dogs. A LL can choose to allow anywhere from NO dogs UP TO 4 dogs. They do not have to allow 4 dogs. That would be pure insanity!
Oh sista... I feel like you just want to argue with me. I already agreed that a LL can allow "limited to no pets". I don't know why you keep bringing in the LL rule. I already said I agreed that the LL can say no pets if that is what they want.

I was replying about the HOA bylaws.

I bolded where you are wrong. I was and am allowed more than the HOA's 2 dogs/city allowed 4 dogs rule. The law may vary by city/state. But there are always exceptions. This is a fact. At least where I live.

Old 11-21-2016, 10:34 PM

13,171 posts, read 21,199,666 times
Quote:
Oh sista... I feel like you just want to argue with me. I already agreed that a LL can allow "limited to no pets". I don't know why you keep bringing in the LL rule. I already said I agreed that the LL can say no pets if that is what they want.

I was replying about the HOA bylaws.

I bolded where you are wrong. I was and am allowed more than the HOA's 2 dogs/city allowed 4 dogs rule. The law may vary by city/state. But there are always exceptions. This is a fact. At least where I live.
There are states that prohibit HOA's (or similar) from outright barring small pets in certain housing, but no state I know allows a municipality to force a stakeholder from setting limits below the maximum municipal law. If the local law says a maximum of 4, the stakeholders can set from 0-4, not one over but certain as many under as they want. We'll need to actually read the law as it contradicts what we know of all states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting