Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not a problem to have student loans on your credit report unless you have been refusing to make the payments.

Sure it is, because the AMOUNT of outstanding debt is included on your credit report. It's easy to add up all the debt and conclude an applicant is an unacceptable risk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2016, 11:13 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,055,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes I did see it and I didn't respond but I will now:

Did you know that mailing to General Delivery doesn't work more than 30 days?

I recently had two things sent to me about two months apart. Got the first one just fine and the second was returned to sender. When I inquired, I was told that it's intended for people temporarily in an area and shouldn't be used by a recipient more than 30 days in a year.

lolol, you just don't give up do you?? You find excuses for everything under the sun.

Old 12-03-2016, 04:50 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,250,714 times
Quote:
Yes I did see it and I didn't respond but I will now:

Did you know that mailing to General Delivery doesn't work more than 30 days?

I recently had two things sent to me about two months apart. Got the first one just fine and the second was returned to sender. When I inquired, I was told that it's intended for people temporarily in an area and shouldn't be used by a recipient more than 30 days in a year.
PO boxes are about $30 for 3 months. I will send you $40 cash with the phone. It can be there by Friday.

What's your next excuse?

Old 12-03-2016, 05:53 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,715,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
PO boxes are about $30 for 3 months. I will send you $40 cash with the phone. It can be there by Friday.

What's your next excuse?
Or, he could just as easily have it sent to a friends home or a business that he frequents that would let him have just one package sent to them. Or, he 'said' or 'claims' that he is working so why not have it sent there? There are endless options. After all, this is the 21st century and not the pony express era.

But, bring on the excuses as usual

Old 12-04-2016, 09:43 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,615,804 times
Quote:
Sure it is, because the AMOUNT of outstanding debt is included on your credit report. It's easy to add up all the debt and conclude an applicant is an unacceptable risk.
The landlord might check to make sure that your rent AND your required monthly payments can be made on your income without starving you, I doubt the total payoff balance matters as much as the monthly obligation.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:37 AM

32,678 posts, read 48,163,278 times
Quote:
Then that is an income issue. Insufficient income gets you rejected, not a paid-up-to-date-with-no-late-payments student loan.

Old 12-04-2016, 11:44 AM

106,843 posts, read 109,092,448 times
yep , that falls under inability to pay , not lack of want to pay . there are two parameters that need to be satisfied . having the ability to pay and demonstrating a want to pay

Old 12-04-2016, 11:52 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,371,402 times
Quote:
If your income is low enough, and if you are in the 'right' repayment program, you can pay nothing for 20 years and POOF your loans go away.

This should be a good thing for landlords but some people are just never happy.
The OP is from Canada. I imagine that unless you live in Canada you know nothing about the student loan repayment process or loan forgiveness.

BTW--even in the U.S. you can't simply pay nothing and have your loans forgiven after 20 years. Quit stating incorrect information.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Then that is an income issue. Insufficient income gets you rejected, not a paid-up-to-date-with-no-late-payments student loan.

11 million people are paying at least half their income for rent; since they are renting, one presumes they were not rejected for insufficient income. There must be some people who get rejected because of student loan debt even if they are current on payments.

Old 12-05-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
yep , that falls under inability to pay , not lack of want to pay . there are two parameters that need to be satisfied . having the ability to pay and demonstrating a want to pay

What does that have to do with ability to pay RENT? Just because you're not required to make a student loan payment doesn't mean you're unable to pay rent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting