Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I am in the midst of applying for a new apartment, a "luxury" apartment located in Ontario, Canada. The building is run by a property management company. The application mentions that they will check my credit. I paid off my credit card but I do have unpaid student loans on my credit, I would imagine. I'm adding a guarantor to my application. Will that help? And where can I check my credit for free? Keep in mind that I live in Canada. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2016, 02:06 PM

2 posts, read 2,669 times
Also, the rent is $1530. I make $50,000 a year and the rent will always be paid.

Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 PM

32,678 posts, read 48,175,275 times
It's not a problem to have student loans on your credit report unless you have been refusing to make the payments.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:42 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,500,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's not a problem to have student loans on your credit report unless you have been refusing to make the payments.

If your income is low enough, and if you are in the 'right' repayment program, you can pay nothing for 20 years and POOF your loans go away.

This should be a good thing for landlords but some people are just never happy.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:44 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,250,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
If your income is low enough, and if you are in the 'right' repayment program, you can pay nothing for 20 years and POOF your loans go away.

That's an interesting comment since I don't think a single LL cares about student loans that are paid on time every month. They will garnish wages which is why we care if they are behind but nice try to paint us as devils again. By the way you ignored this post, which considering how much time you spend on this forum I doubt you didn't see it but just in case here it is again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I've got an old droid razr and it's charger that is still in very good condition I will send you for free, I will even pay the shipping on it. It is way more than capable of taking pictures and even posting things on eBay and isn't damaged in the slightest. In Feb I will send you this droid turbo I'm typing on right now too. Both phones can easily connect to McDonald's wifi, if you don't have home wifi, without signing up with a cell phone carrier. All I need is a name and address and they are yours.

What's your excuse now?
Apparently I only need a name and zip code and I can send it general delivery.

Old 12-02-2016, 01:57 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,716,328 times
Quote:
That's an interesting comment since I don't think a single LL cares about student loans that are paid on time every month. They will garnish wages which is why we care if they are behind but nice try to paint us as devils again. By the way you ignored this post, which considering how much time you spend on this forum I doubt you didn't see it but just in case here it is again.

Oh, he is seeing it and has seen it. I brought that offer up that you made him in another thread also where he was spewing his nonsense and he ignored it there as well. Let's see if he ignores it yet a 3rd time.

Old 12-02-2016, 07:47 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,810,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post

As usual, your comment adds little to nothing to the discussion. I haven't known any LLs who cared specifically about student loan debt unless it's gone unpaid and shows up as a negative in credit history.

Quote:

I'm not surprised that he hasn't responded. That would ruin his story. He's a good troll though, I'll give him that.

Old 12-02-2016, 09:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,504,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentgal87 View Post
Hi everyone,

So I am in the midst of applying for a new apartment, a "luxury" apartment located in Ontario, Canada. The building is run by a property management company. The application mentions that they will check my credit. I paid off my credit card but I do have unpaid student loans on my credit, I would imagine. I'm adding a guarantor to my application. Will that help? And where can I check my credit for free? Keep in mind that I live in Canada. Thanks!

Had a whole post typed...Aaaand I just noticed you are in Canada. No idea what landlords consider the normal up there.

Old 12-03-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:

Sure they care, precisely because they consider student loan debt just like any other debt. "Too much" debt can make an applicant unqualified and, other than rent, which absolutely must always be paid on time, landlords aren't going to care to sort out "debt that MUST be repaid timely" and "debt that can be deferred and forgiven at low incomes".

The fact that student loan debt exists is a concern to landlords even if an applicant's low income ensures that the student loan debt is irrelevant (not a hindrance) to timely payment of rent.

Put another way, the applicant's low income is regarded by landlords as a detriment, plus the student loan debt is also regarded as a detriment, even though the low income ensures that student loan debt does not create a hazard to timely rent payment.

I'll go back and check for the relevant post, but before looking, I'll guess about 80% likely I ignored it and 20% possible I didn't see it. (Once I am following a thread, I tend to start reading at the END of the thread and work my way backward, and it's fairly common to miss some posts when I do that.)

Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Oh, he is seeing it and has seen it. I brought that offer up that you made him in another thread also where he was spewing his nonsense and he ignored it there as well. Let's see if he ignores it yet a 3rd time.

Yes I did see it and I didn't respond but I will now:

Did you know that mailing to General Delivery doesn't work more than 30 days?

I recently had two things sent to me about two months apart. Got the first one just fine and the second was returned to sender. When I inquired, I was told that it's intended for people temporarily in an area and shouldn't be used by a recipient more than 30 days in a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting