Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2022, 12:23 PM

32,668 posts, read 48,129,403 times

Advertisements

Bad credit, not enough income to pay rent, no money for fees and deposits, pets (that was plural? Pets? More than one pet?)...

You are going to have some difficulty finding a place and if you don't want to dig through ads and do research, that will make your quest harder.

The government doing their eviction moratorium and their rent freezes and new difficult landlord laws, have made landlords more picky about who they rent to. Landlords who might have taken a chance and given a family a second chance, or worked with them on the deposit, have been punished by the government for doing so, so they are going to be less generous now.

Vacancies are usually advertised on Craigslist, Facebook, Apartments dot com, and Zillow. Or you could just drive around and look for vacancy signs. Or check your local newspaper or those freebie newspapers that run classified ads and are given away in front of grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2022, 07:12 PM

2,689 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Why couldn't you sell it since it went to you from inheritance?

If you had sold it, assuming you could, you could have paid off the remaining amount of the reverse mortgage loan. Then keep what is left for down payment on small one bedroom home. Preferable in a lower cost of living area.

Old 04-27-2022, 07:27 AM

4,553 posts, read 2,706,649 times
Well, it varies all over the US. You need to be way more specific, like where you are, where you need to live (commute), what your space/animal requirements are, budget, etc., etc., etc.,etc. You haven't given us bupkis to go on. Do you want/need to rent a four bedroom apartment in Louisbourg Square, Boston, or is a single-wide outside Tucumcari, New Mexico OK for you?

Old 04-27-2022, 08:41 AM

9,200 posts, read 6,230,451 times
New York has a website solely for apartments called StreetEasy dot com. Maybe there is something similar for whatever city you are seeking.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:52 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,436,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Why couldn't you sell it since it went to you from inheritance?

If you had sold it, assuming you could, you could have paid off the remaining amount of the reverse mortgage loan. Then keep what is left for down payment on small one bedroom home. Preferable in a lower cost of living area.
It wasn't a direct inheritance,there was no will so we'd have to take the debt into our name. A bit of a gamble if the house is appraised below value.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
New York has a website solely for apartments called StreetEasy dot com. Maybe there is something similar for whatever city you are seeking.
I'm not looking to be in any city,they're expensive and overrated. I'd be content with just being close to my job in the suburbs of New Jersey.

Old 04-27-2022, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EP45 View Post
Did you even bother to check and find out, or did you just run on an assumption?
I always speak from experience. They have to make money somehow.

Old 06-03-2022, 11:46 AM

2,689 posts, read 1,200,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
It wasn't a direct inheritance,there was no will so we'd have to take the debt into our name. A bit of a gamble if the house is appraised below value.
I see what you mean. Maybe Zestimate.com would help with a somewhat free estimate of the selling value.
A check with the local tax board for any liens, Sheriffs office might help with anything that shows if it is going to be up for auction.

Before I purchase mine that was in forclosure from the bank I had to check and make sure there were no liens on it and that the bank wouldn't say I owe what the previous owner didn't pay. But I had a lawyer help with that. If you hire a good realtor they could look into all of that for you and help sell it.

Old 06-03-2022, 10:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,898,471 times
Everybody and his uncle goes to Zillow to both rent their houses, or find a rent.

Old 06-04-2022, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Everybody and his uncle goes to Zillow to both rent their houses, or find a rent.
Maybe if money is no object
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting