Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2022, 08:30 AM

8,156 posts, read 8,380,140 times

Advertisements

I’m a private LL and I post on Rent.com. How you prevent scams is that you meet the owner personally at the property and view it. Never agree to provide money before viewing a property. You also can check the county appraisal district to find out who the owner is and if in doubt find the owner and verify their property is for lease. You can do a simple search on the property by address on Zillow and look at the sale history and you can see if it has been posted for rent b4 and when. If it was about the same month in the past, likely there is an active/newly expired lease so it makes sense its again ready for new tenants. Get the full name of the party you are communicating with and do a google search. Take a photo of the car license plate of the party you meet at the property.

I never take application fees. I send an “invite” to my background verification company and the applicants pay them directly via credit cards. I detest the scsm of collecting application fees from unqualified people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2022, 11:19 AM

32,680 posts, read 48,196,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Maybe if money is no object

Sorry, but there is no secret place just for those in the know where houses are for rent for pennies on the dollar and there is no application process. If you want to rent a house, you will have to do what everybody else does when they are searching for a place to live.

It's not like all of us here are hiding some great secret from you. There is no secret.

Rent is expensive because houses are expensive. There is a housing shortage and a lot of competition for the available rentals. People who search and work at it are the ones who are going to get the house. People who want to sit back and have their living handed to them on a silver platter are going to get nothing because there will be nothing left to give to them.

Old 06-04-2022, 03:04 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,063,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Everybody and his uncle goes to Zillow to both rent their houses, or find a rent.
“Everybody”? I don’t think so. I never used Zillow to buy, sell or rent. In fact, I don’t know who did.

Old 06-04-2022, 06:29 PM

3,372 posts, read 2,903,420 times
Quote:
Maybe if money is no object
It's nearly free... 9.99/week per listing... That's a good deal in my books. I used to hire a guy who charged me $300 to find a tenant and do screening. Now, I get the same for 9.99, 19.98 at most.

Old 06-05-2022, 04:58 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,439,494 times
Quote:
It's nearly free... 9.99/week per listing... That's a good deal in my books. I used to hire a guy who charged me $300 to find a tenant and do screening. Now, I get the same for 9.99, 19.98 at most.
Umm I meant that site usually tends to list the pricier properties...

Old 06-05-2022, 06:03 AM

30,684 posts, read 18,313,977 times
Quote:
One of the best benefits of Zillow's rental services, IMO. What other folks charged (and some still do) prior to more robust competition via the likes of Zillow on this end was highway robbery.

Old 06-05-2022, 08:57 AM

3,372 posts, read 2,903,420 times
Quote:
Umm I meant that site usually tends to list the pricier properties...
It just lists properties that are available for rent at the asking price of the landlord. There are other venues to market as well, including Facebook, and Craigslist. As a landlord, I found it to be a single venue I need to pursue. Any time I use them, I get a constant stream of inquiries and I did not have to extend the listing more than for 1 more week (which was sort of my own fault, as the house I leased was not yet ready, not for the lack of inquiries).

As a person who might be interested for a rent (not for myself, but for my grown-up son, or parents-in-law, or just to look the "going rate in one or another neighborhood) - I found it also sufficient (although I might check out a few local apartment complexes I know who have their own web sites and don't advertise anywhere else).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting