Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 03:35 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,331,194 times

Advertisements

This is happening all over the country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8loST8zd28

For housing to be "affordable," it should not cost more than 30% of pretax income. More than 30% of Americans pay more than 30% of their pretax income on housing, and half of that number are paying 50% of their pretax income on housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2022, 04:04 PM

3,560 posts, read 1,651,192 times
Ah, the Roaring Twenties part deux.

Old 06-12-2022, 04:22 PM

Illegal immigration has contributed mightily to the housing crisis, too. Illegal immigrants are not eligible for subsidised housing and public housing, but (and this is a big BUT), mixed family status allows illegal immigrants to live in subsidised housing and public housing so long as at least one member of the family is eligible to receive housing assistance. This includes children born here to illegals as well as spouses.

Notwithstanding the above, illegal immigrants consume a large portion of housing in low-income neighbourhoods, and very often that includes more people living in a housing unit that is permitted by law. I have seen this for decades. I see it all around me now. Despite it being illegal, cities do absolutely nothing about it. The effects are devastating for low-income families who are citizens and who do not violate the the health and safety laws. This is just one more huge component to the affordable housing shortage.

Old 06-12-2022, 09:39 PM

8,885 posts, read 5,366,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
In the process of throwing money to the bank, you might be throwing more than you'd pay for rent... As I said, one needs to use a calculator and see what makes more sense.
I guess it was possible at one time, but with rental prices being the way they are today I find it less likely I'd be throwing more money to the bank.

Old 06-13-2022, 01:14 AM

1 posts, read 624 times
It could have something to do with a 2 million illegal immigrants crossing over the Mexican border every year that are allowed entry in the United States. 99% of that we’re gonna need low income housing that could be where a lot of your housing shortage is coming from or at least a good chunk of it! Housing shortage mainly popped up during the Biden administration. The Biden administration is very lax on the immigration was allowing entry. I looked at The numbers online and the month is September last year over 137,000 people in one month or allowed to remain in the US. This is a problem that needs too be addressed

Old 06-13-2022, 01:00 PM

Illegal immigration from Mexico was already a serious problem for both poor and middle class people by the mid 1970s. The government did nothing about it, and it became worse every year. Now, it is beyond repair if you ask me. There are some radical steps that could be taken now that would help, but politicians do not have the balls it takes to implement those steps.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:33 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,234,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
Thats what they all say.. but, in my case, i choose to be a renter because i know i dont want to be a responsible home owner (have to cut grass, rake leaves, shovel snow, repair, have money for repairs (lots of $$$).. so for me, i am paying for the luxury of not having to do that and its worth it for me. Guess if i had bought a ranch home in 1990, i would be paying less money per month for mortgage , however, it is still worth it to me since i do not want to do those things that a homeowner has to do. if i let my grass grow, the neighbors will hate me. I mean if it grows too high and i dont mow.
If you bought a ranch home in 1990, you wouldnt have a mortgage payment; you'd have a paid for house.

Old 06-14-2022, 03:08 PM

3,368 posts, read 2,887,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If you bought a ranch home in 1990, you wouldnt have a mortgage payment; you'd have a paid for house.
If you invest the difference between your potential mortgage payment and your actual rate, and add on top of it another $200 for the water bill and maintenance/repairs every month, and invest it into your RothIRA, you'd probably have a passive investment income greater than your rent.

While as a house owner, you'd still be responsible for taxes, insurance, water bills and maintenance/repairs.

Old 06-14-2022, 06:07 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
If you invest the difference between your potential mortgage payment and your actual rate, and add on top of it another $200 for the water bill and maintenance/repairs every month, and invest it into your RothIRA, you'd probably have a passive investment income greater than your rent.

While as a house owner, you'd still be responsible for taxes, insurance, water bills and maintenance/repairs.

It's all well and fine to invest the house payment in the stock market because you aren't paying a mortgage, but you have to live somewhere and your rent payment is most likely to be higher than your mortgage payment apples to apples. Rent takes care of what you think you might save by not having a mortgage.

Unless you are living with rent control, the rent keeps going higher and higher while the mortgage remains the same, for all 20-30 years of it.

And sorry, but when you are renting, you are paying the taxes, the water bills, and for the maintenance and repairs. It's all baked into the rent. You aren't getting all that stuff for free.

If you prefer renting to owning, that's fine. it's your choice, but you don't seem to have a complete grasp about living expenses.

Old 06-14-2022, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
It's all well and fine to invest the house payment in the stock market because you aren't paying a mortgage, but you have to live somewhere and your rent payment is most likely to be higher than your mortgage payment apples to apples. Rent takes care of what you think you might save by not having a mortgage.

Unless you are living with rent control, the rent keeps going higher and higher while the mortgage remains the same, for all 20-30 years of it.

And sorry, but when you are renting, you are paying the taxes, the water bills, and for the maintenance and repairs. It's all baked into the rent. You aren't getting all that stuff for free.

If you prefer renting to owning, that's fine. it's your choice, but you don't seem to have a complete grasp about living expenses.
Exactly. Everything is folded into the rent including the mortgage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting