Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2022, 06:01 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,437,207 times

Advertisements

Is there some sort of nationwide housing shortage now or did it just follow us from out west to Pennsylvania?...All I'm hearing about is rentals at least are hard to find around here. Perfect timing as usual as we're losing our current house to foreclosure...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2022, 06:16 PM

10,337 posts, read 6,887,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth11 View Post
Is there some sort of nationwide housing shortage now or did it just follow us from out west to Pennsylvania?...All I'm hearing about is rentals at least are hard to find around here. Perfect timing as usual as we're losing our current house to foreclosure...
Rentals have so much demand, that prospective tenants are "bidding" on rental properties, to inhabit.

Imagine a landlord telling everyone the rent is XXXX.

Some prospective tenants say, "We'll pay XXXX + $250/mo."

Other prospects say, "We'll pay XXXX + $350/mo."

Still others say, "We'll pay XXXX + $750/mo."

All with the hopes of "winning" the right to occupy said rental.

Crazy, I tells ya.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:22 PM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Housing shortage just about everywhere in the USA... or maybe all over the world.

There are a quarter million new residents being added to the USA every month, most if them very low income, so there is huge demand for rentals on the low end of the price scale.

It doesn't help that our money is losing its purchasing power at a fast clip. It's too expensive to buy a house or build a house to add it to the rental pool, and that is not helping the supply of available rentals.

I just took a peek. Where I am located, there are 30 rentals available in a three county wide area, including all the available rentals in 5 towns. Only one of those is "lower" rent. Only a couple are houses and the rest are small apartments.

Old 06-02-2022, 04:02 AM

4,045 posts, read 4,437,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There are a quarter million new residents being added to the USA every month, most if them very low income, so there is huge demand for rentals on the low end of the price scale.

I just took a peek. Where I am located, there are 30 rentals available in a three county wide area, including all the available rentals in 5 towns. Only one of those is "lower" rent. Only a couple are houses and the rest are small apartments.
Where are all these new residents coming from I wonder.

Anyway,I've also seen that the low income rentals have long 'waiting lists'...

Old 06-02-2022, 06:55 AM

13,134 posts, read 21,041,486 times
Quote:
You mean you're parents never had the talk with you?

Old 06-02-2022, 11:19 AM

32,674 posts, read 48,152,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
You mean you're parents never had the talk with you?

We are not talking about the birth rate.

But if you want to talk birth rate, then another 300,000 or so lives are added to population every month. Those are too young to be add to the demand for rental housing for a few years yet.

Old 06-04-2022, 02:52 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,610,277 times
So it seems like rentals are in high demand. Maybe not all the time by desire, but by the way things are economically.

I am a renter, I enjoy it. I dont want a house and all its expenses and responsibilities.. but the world says that renters are throwing away their money and paying the landlord's mortgage.

however, the way things are economically, it looks like home owners are now having to be renters. so what good was having a house if you are just not going to be able to keep it due to the way things are going right now?

Old 06-05-2022, 11:59 AM

15,130 posts, read 32,358,765 times
Quote:

Anyway,I've also seen that the low income rentals have long 'waiting lists'...
Low income/income restricted rentals always have long waiting lists. The new ones that are being built have an "interest list," and six months before the building opens, they start a waiting list, and when it finally opens, it's full already.

Old 06-06-2022, 06:38 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,340,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
Low income/income restricted rentals always have long waiting lists. The new ones that are being built have an "interest list," and six months before the building opens, they start a waiting list, and when it finally opens, it's full already.
Precisely. I am a senior who has lived in my current home for the last 7 years, and frankly, I expected to die here, but the property's value has tripled in the last 7 years, and the owner wants to sell it before the housing bubble bursts, so I am quite unexpectedly looking for another property to lease.

There are rentals out there, but for me the hitch is that very few landlords will accept my stipend. I pay my rent in part via SS and in part via a housing stipend. In the last 2-3 weeks I have inquired about many properties, but none will accept the stipend because they know for one thing that they can get a higher rent from someone who does not rely on a stipend, and for another thing, they do not have to worry about paperwork and annual property inspections, etc., with renters who do not rely upon a stipend to pay rent.

There are some decent "tax credit" apartments that will accept a stipend, but they all have wait lists of 6-12 months. I was able to add my name to two lists for free, but the others all want an average $50 application fee and formal application even though though they may not have anything available for a year. For someone like myself on SS, that is cost prohibitive. I am not exaggerating to say I am facing a very real possibility of homelessness in the coming weeks.

Last weekend I saw a 2/1 house in my neighbourhood come onto the market. Rent was a little higher than I really could afford, but I contacted the landlord anyway in hopes that I might be able to work out something. He said the rent was non-negciable, and within 6 hours of placing the listing, he had a contract pending on the property. Houses for sale are selling within a day sight unseen for cash. And, as someone else said, buyers are outbidding one another by thousands. I know of one house where one buyer outbid everyone else by $50K.

Pretty much the entire country is in crisis right now housing-wise. I do not mind telling you I am frightened. My plan right now is to start packing up everything I can lift on my own and moving it into a storage unit. I may have to leave behind most of my furniture. If I cannot find a property to lease by the end of August, I will be homeless. I have no none to take me in. I have begun to put out feelers for a good home for my dog because he cannot live with me on the street.

It gets worse, too. By the time I must vacate this property, I will have no more than 60 days either to find another rental or to lose my stipend. It takes years to get a stipend, so if I lose it, I can expect to live on the the street (and probably die on the street) over the next several years. Some people may think this is hyperbole, but I assure you it is not.

Old 06-06-2022, 07:10 PM

8,277 posts, read 8,673,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
Precisely. I am a senior who has lived in my current home for the last 7 years, and frankly, I expected to die here, but the property's value has tripled in the last 7 years, and the owner wants to sell it before the housing bubble bursts, so I am quite unexpectedly looking for another property to lease.

There are rentals out there, but for me the hitch is that very few landlords will accept my stipend. I pay my rent in part via SS and in part via a housing stipend. In the last 2-3 weeks I have inquired about many properties, but none will accept the stipend because they know for one thing that they can get a higher rent from someone who does not rely on a stipend, and for another thing, they do not have to worry about paperwork and annual property inspections, etc., with renters who do not rely upon a stipend to pay rent.

There are some decent "tax credit" apartments that will accept a stipend, but they all have wait lists of 6-12 months. I was able to add my name to two lists for free, but the others all want an average $50 application fee and formal application even though though they may not have anything available for a year. For someone like myself on SS, that is cost prohibitive. I am not exaggerating to say I am facing a very real possibility of homelessness in the coming weeks.

Last weekend I saw a 2/1 house in my neighbourhood come onto the market. Rent was a little higher than I really could afford, but I contacted the landlord anyway in hopes that I might be able to work out something. He said the rent was non-negciable, and within 6 hours of placing the listing, he had a contract pending on the property. Houses for sale are selling within a day sight unseen for cash. And, as someone else said, buyers are outbidding one another by thousands. I know of one house where one buyer outbid everyone else by $50K.

Pretty much the entire country is in crisis right now housing-wise. I do not mind telling you I am frightened. My plan right now is to start packing up everything I can lift on my own and moving it into a storage unit. I may have to leave behind most of my furniture. If I cannot find a property to lease by the end of August, I will be homeless. I have no none to take me in. I have begun to put out feelers for a good home for my dog because he cannot live with me on the street.

It gets worse, too. By the time I must vacate this property, I will have no more than 60 days either to find another rental or to lose my stipend. It takes years to get a stipend, so if I lose it, I can expect to live on the the street (and probably die on the street) over the next several years. Some people may think this is hyperbole, but I assure you it is not.
Think roommate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting