Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 06:09 PM

32,679 posts, read 48,175,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergirl87 View Post
....... the apartment said that it is 2 keys per resident over 18 ......

And so, you are a resident over 18 and you are eligible for two keys. Keep one for yourself and let your son use the other one. Your lease says you were given only one mailbox key, so I guess your kid will have to wait for you to get the mail. Or leave the mailbox key in a designated place in the house and you can take turns using it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2022, 09:45 AM

13,931 posts, read 39,345,126 times
My Neighbor had the same problem when her grandkid moved in with them. After much going back & forth, she just changed the Locks! When she moved, she switched back!

Old 06-21-2022, 02:27 PM

401 posts, read 368,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
File a complaint with HUD for a violation of the Fair Housing and Amendments Act (FHA Act) citing Discrimination in Housing Based Upon Familial Status. If they let a person 18 years or over have a key, for them to just say "no key" because they are a child under 18 without a clear safety or health reason is not acceptable.
I didn't know that I could do that.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
Have you actually asked if you can have a second key, or are you just going by what's in the lease? They may be willing to add a lease addendum allowing to sign for an extra key.
I have and was told it is one key per lease holder. They are being pretty strict about it.

Old 06-21-2022, 02:35 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,514,081 times
Quote:
I have and was told it is one key per lease holder. They are being pretty strict about it.
how do other tenants handle this one key policy?
A couple say?
Or make arrangement like leave the key at some place secret or someone you can trust

Old 06-21-2022, 03:54 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Quote:
You posted that it is TWO keys per resident.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
how do other tenants handle this one key policy?
A couple say?
Or make arrangement like leave the key at some place secret or someone you can trust
Well the documents say per lease holder. So a couple would presumably be a lease holder so they would both be entitled to a key. My son is under 18.

Old 06-21-2022, 04:10 PM

798 posts, read 504,583 times
Quote:
Yes you can and you should!

Know your Rights!

Old 06-21-2022, 04:22 PM

15,152 posts, read 27,834,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
My Neighbor had the same problem when her grandkid moved in with them. After much going back & forth, she just changed the Locks! When she moved, she switched back!
NOT a good idea! That could void the lease - maintenance needs to have access.

Old 06-21-2022, 08:10 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
Quote:
If they are giving only 1 fob to a units and no more,
or they are giving 1 fob to each person who signed the lease and no more,
and it's not based on the age but only on 1 per unit or 1 per lease signer,
you would not have a discrimination case.

Quote:
But if they inject age into the decision,
and there is no clear and necessary health or safety basis for using age,
you would have grounds for filing a complaint.

Fair Housing laws do not allow a landlord to use age as factor in determining what an authorized resident/occupant can and can not do unless age has a valid safety or health basis or regulatory requirement.

Now, before proceeding, you will need to know for a fact it is happening. As others have said, you can't go on an assumption and will need to know for a fact that they will not allow you to have a second fob simply due to the age of your child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting