Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2024, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 813 times

Advertisements

In looking for a new apartment I called a place. I wasn’t sure if it was a HUD apartment or owned by a local place that manages many apartments. Someone answered the phone when I called (I know now it was the apartment manager). I told her I was looking for an apartment and asked her if the apartment I was calling was a HUD apartment or if it belonged to ____________ (the large company locally that rents many apartments). The apt. manager began to shout into the phone “I know why you are asking. Because if something goes wrong you will call HUD and complain!”. I told her I was only asking because I didn’t know if it was a HUD apartment. At that point she apologized. I found out it is a HUD apartment managed by the large company I mentioned. I did wind up renting one of the apartments and today went to sign the lease. During the meeting, the apt. manager said I was being “difficult”. I asked her what it was I was doing. She said she needed some information she had emailed me about just that morning. I told her I didn’t have it but had emailed my employer as soon as I got her request by email and my employer sent me a PDF of the information. We were in the rental office and I was trying to forward her the PDF from my phone but it was difficult to do. She was getting frustrated. I was disappointed when she called me “difficult” because I was excited to be there and was thrilled at the idea of moving into a new apt. I wanted her approval. Soon she asked me to sign a piece of paper that says she can record meetings we have together and that she can go into my apartment and record things if ncessary. For example, the condition of the apartment. She said “HUD didn’t say this but our lawyer said to do it”. I felt uncomforable about signing something saying she could record our meetings togther and make recordings of things in my apartment and I told her that I would like to take that one paper with me and have a lawyer look at it if she didn’t mind. She jumped out of her chair, put both hands on her desk, leaned in and said “I don’t know if I can continue with this” and said it with anger. I asssured her I meant nothing of it, I just wanted to make sure I understood the ramifications of having meetings, conversations recorded and allowing her into my apartment to record things. She then sat down, we continue with the paperwork and I left. I am not sure how to relate to someone like her. Does anyone have any tips? Someone said to ‘report’ her to the main office. I have never reported an apartment manager in life. So I am not sure I want to do that. Any advice for having an apartment manager who is kind of aggressive or maybe even short tempered would be helpful. And feedback about “reporting her” is welcome. My goal is to get along with people. But right now I am fearful of what she might say next or how she will act. How do people normally handle others who as kind of hard to get along with? Is reporting them the answer? I am afraid to. I need some answers. Please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 08:45 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Om guessing you were perceived as "difficult" about a month ago. https://www.city-data.com/forum/syra...l#post66435753

Bringing up the word "lawyer" almost certainly will make your appear to be "difficult".

My advice is if you really want the apartment, apologize to the manager and ask what you need to do to resolve "our miscommunication." If you're really uncomfortable with that piece of paper involving recording stuff (and that does sound weird - to the degree that I'm suspicious you misunderstood its meaning and purpose), politely call her boss and ask for clarification. If you really want to go forward with her in a positive manner, tell the boss that she's been very nice and it's your fault that you don't understand.

In other words, grovel. Get what you want, then move on.

Old 03-13-2024, 09:51 AM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Be polite, stay cool, stay away from her as much as possible.

She's a nobody who has been given a little bit of power and she is in a job that she is not qualified to do. Be organized whenever you must have contact with her.

In fairness to the company that owns that building, it is difficult to get competent help and that is not a high paid or important job, so they are probably making due with the best they can get under the circumstances.

And in fairness to her, it is a HUD building, so she is spending her time trying to deal with a bunch of incompetent, entitled people who can't get their act together and expect the world t do it all for them. Not all the tenants, but enough of them to cause ongoing frustration and annoyance,

Old 03-13-2024, 04:03 PM

122 posts, read 82,473 times
The smart move would have been to leave the office and never come back or call. Some so-called "managers" are nothing more than bullies. If you remain, it will be a constant battle.

Anyone that comes up out of their chair, or that tells you their lawyer told them to do something as you describe is certainly no professional, and is destined to fail miserably in the responsibilities of their job, and likely their life.

Old 04-07-2024, 10:39 AM

320 posts, read 279,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
The smart move would have been to leave the office and never come back or call. Some so-called "managers" are nothing more than bullies. If you remain, it will be a constant battle.

Anyone that comes up out of their chair, or that tells you their lawyer told them to do something as you describe is certainly no professional, and is destined to fail miserably in the responsibilities of their job, and likely their life.
I agree. My experiences lately have been awful. Does NOT matter if rent is paid ON time, rules are followed, all extra fees/charge paid up, no loud parties, clean, etc. Doesn't matter - some favorite tenants are allowed to operate their vehicle detailing company on grounds *takes parking for tenants, dumps chemicals into do not dump drains that flow to streams, employees park in tenant areas, etc. Stores flammables in rented garages that are NEXT to towhomes. sheeesh.

Did nothing to apologize for or investigate shooter on property killing baby geese. Had my dog and I been walking 6 seconds sooner, my dog would have been hit. Nothing said. Nothing done. I called the police and made out a report.

The entire place, town, area is up for grabs. Illegals? most cannot speak english **conveniently so? cannot drive. etc. many, many people in a 3 bedroom, etc. Some2 bedroom apts get $2000 a month.

It was an awful awful terrible place - NONE OF THE MANAGERS CARE. THEY ARE BULLIES. No manners. uncouth and just filthy and lazy. I was threatened to come in IMMEDIATELY with all valid papers to sign lease. gave me no notice. I was to stay with movers delivering belongings out of state to move into storage. Couldn't. had to leave. went to office, gave papers, signed lease and truck was almost thru. was told by people at another unit they broke a large glass top for a table - denied doing it. i could see the glass pieces. they were contracted. company would NOT cover them for damages, etc. Called the contractor: busy signal. no longer in service.

Come to find out my new christmas tree, kitchen appliances, clothing items were missing as well. I wish I had told that property office slob to give me an appointment that I had things to tend to. should not give in to their threats. Who to complain to when you find your leased apartment is next door to a drug dealer that is renting out his apartment as an airbnb with his short term visitors having huge not allowed pets? Noisy kids? UPALLNIGHTLONG. ugh

awful--requirement to be lease manager? no empathy. mean disposition. hard heart. not human a plus
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting