Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 12:34 PM

2 posts, read 22,870 times

Advertisements

We are renting a single-wide mobile with 3.25 acres and it states that in the rental agreement.
Want to know:
1. I know about access to in side, Can they access property at anytime with out notice?
2. Can they just decide to build on the property with out notice?
3. We have a gate up front can I lock it as long as they have a key?
4. If they come on when gate locked is it trespassing?

Here is what has happened for me to ask these questions and keep in mind 3 months after we moved in they put the property up for sale. We found out when we say a sign in front of the driveway and they wanted us to deal with Realtor as well.

Got phone call on Monday that they were coming out Tuesday morning to dig up septic tank. I had called them back and they would not answer there phone then called back Tuesday morning before they were to come out no answer. So, I decided to txt got answer right away and asked that in the future they could please give a 24 hr notice, beings we have not called about any issues with the septic system.

I asked if the property had been sold or being sold. No, was the response and thought it to be odd that they were having a county inspector out to inspect septic system. I know it is normally required by the lender and then contacted the county and found out they applied for a building permit.

They then showed up again unannounced last night with another person, I went out and asked what was up and he didn't say anything. So, I asked if he could please call and give 24 hrs. notice before coming out unannounced to the property and his response was "I don't have to give any notice to come on property only if I access in side".

My understanding is that 24 hrs. is required to come on property and access in side of the home. I have searched online for landlord\tenant laws for Washington State Chapter 59.18 RCW: Residential landlord-tenant act and can not get a straight and forward answer to include access on the property.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 03:57 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegrinn View Post
We are renting a single-wide mobile with 3.25 acres and it states that in the rental agreement.
Want to know:
1. I know about access to in side, Can they access property at anytime with out notice?
2. Can they just decide to build on the property with out notice?
3. We have a gate up front can I lock it as long as they have a key?
4. If they come on when gate locked is it trespassing?

Here is what has happened for me to ask these questions and keep in mind 3 months after we moved in they put the property up for sale. We found out when we say a sign in front of the driveway and they wanted us to deal with Realtor as well.

Got phone call on Monday that they were coming out Tuesday morning to dig up septic tank. I had called them back and they would not answer there phone then called back Tuesday morning before they were to come out no answer. So, I decided to txt got answer right away and asked that in the future they could please give a 24 hr notice, beings we have not called about any issues with the septic system.

I asked if the property had been sold or being sold. No, was the response and thought it to be odd that they were having a county inspector out to inspect septic system. I know it is normally required by the lender and then contacted the county and found out they applied for a building permit.

They then showed up again unannounced last night with another person, I went out and asked what was up and he didn't say anything. So, I asked if he could please call and give 24 hrs. notice before coming out unannounced to the property and his response was "I don't have to give any notice to come on property only if I access in side".

My understanding is that 24 hrs. is required to come on property and access in side of the home. I have searched online for landlord\tenant laws for Washington State Chapter 59.18 RCW: Residential landlord-tenant act and can not get a straight and forward answer to include access on the property.

Thanks
The only advice that counts is from a lawyer representing your interests...

As far as I know there is nothing that prevents an Owner from selling their property... of course, the buyer is subject to the existing terms and conditions.

Property changes hands all the time... often the tenants never know... especially with large complexes that retain the same management.

A few questions I would have are:

What does you lease say?

Are you renting the property in it's entirety?

Generally, the resident has the right to reschedule unannounced entry if proper notice is not provided... except as specifically outlined by law... such as certain emergencies.

Seems reasonable that they cannot just decide to build on property rented to you during the rental agreement...

Do you like living there? If you do, maybe you can use this opportunity to buy the property... prices are down and not many people are choosing to sell in this market unless compelled...

Good Luck and let us know what transpires...

Old 11-06-2009, 01:51 PM

2 posts, read 22,870 times
Well, we found another place to live.
We have a lease option to buy and we found out they broke the lease agreement when they put the house up for sale and not giving us first option to buy. There loss our gain!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:39 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplegrinn View Post
Well, we found another place to live.
We have a lease option to buy and we found out they broke the lease agreement when they put the house up for sale and not giving us first option to buy. There loss our gain!
First Rule... always refer to the Rental Agreement

Good going on the research part!

One question... I've seen some listings that give the existing tenant right to match any offer where there is a lease with option to buy... it's used as a way to establish price...

Sounds like it would have been trying at best...

Where's the new place?

Old 03-20-2010, 10:33 AM

1 posts, read 10,736 times
I had a contract for a 6 month lease we have lived in the house for 14 months now. the landlord never renewed our lease. we are moving out and she is telling us we can not give notice until the 1st - to the 10th. is this correct even though our lease was up 8 months ago?
thanks
Dustin

Old 03-20-2010, 11:03 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
On a month to month tenancy (which your lease agreement became once it expired) you're required to give 30 days notice in most states (some require 60 days). If your rent is due and payable on the first day of each month then you must give written 30 day notice on or before the 1st. If you don't give that notice your LL is legally entitled to collect the pro-rated balance due.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:26 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Refer to your state law first and your lease second. Even if your lease is expired, in some states it becomes a month to month tenancy governed by the terms of the original lease. Our lease specifically states that. In other states, it may be considered a verbal lease at that point, and be governed by state law for verbal leases.

Our lease says that we do not prorate move out months. All rent is always for a full month. So if you give notice on the 15th of March, rent is due through April 30th. Of course, if you move out sooner and we are able to rerent and collect rent sooner than that, you get a prorated share back (state law in most states, can't collect from two tenants for the same unit for the same time frame).

Either way, the LL can't tell you when you "can give notice", but they can tell you, according to terms dictated by the lease and state law, when you have to pay rent through.

Old 05-06-2010, 01:43 AM

1 posts, read 10,421 times
hello...i been in the everett area and my grandma has an apt in the same area..anyway she rented this apt tht has bad plumbing (which the landlord wont fix) to were it ruined her dishwasher, when she first moved in she had to have her own washer and dryer installed because the others didnt work, along with a new toliet. one day the toilet was not going down and she called a plumber, the plumber came out and fixed it, but the landlord didnt pay for it (costing my grandma $130)[i think tht the landlord should have paid tht or at least lowerd the rent for tht month {rent: $1,150}] the floor in the kitchen needs to be fixed up but the landlord wont get it fixed...i heard from my mom ant aunt tht landlords are NOT suposed to do this...and tht they are required to fix anything and everything tht goes wrong...is this true?

Old 05-06-2010, 06:18 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S2kittyS2 View Post
hello...i been in the everett area and my grandma has an apt in the same area..anyway she rented this apt tht has bad plumbing (which the landlord wont fix) to were it ruined her dishwasher, when she first moved in she had to have her own washer and dryer installed because the others didnt work, along with a new toliet. one day the toilet was not going down and she called a plumber, the plumber came out and fixed it, but the landlord didnt pay for it (costing my grandma $130)[i think tht the landlord should have paid tht or at least lowerd the rent for tht month {rent: $1,150}] the floor in the kitchen needs to be fixed up but the landlord wont get it fixed...i heard from my mom ant aunt tht landlords are NOT suposed to do this...and tht they are required to fix anything and everything tht goes wrong...is this true?
Your grandmother needs to read her lease if she has one. If she doesn't have a lease you can research for her the landlord/tenant rules applicable to the state in which you live. Google "(state) landlord tenant laws" and you'll find the information you need.

Old 05-06-2010, 07:10 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
Your grandma needs to contact her city/town building inspector's office to see if the apt is legal or if it violate city code. Sounds like it may not be either. There may also be a consumer agency she can contact to help her undersand what her rights are. Some of that information might be in the landlord-tenant laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting