Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 07:19 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daltonfamily View Post
Don't do it. Stay in Oregon. If you like good food, community events and nice people, you will be in trouble. We have been in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area for a year now and it is brutal. Our kids cannot wait to be out of here. STAY THERE.
Wow. "Brutal" is pretty harsh for a place that a lot of people want to be. Unpack your statement. Let's hear some examples of the things you've mentioned as opposed to a blanket negative statement of warning. And let's get specific on where you are... there is no Roanoke/Lynchburg area. They are 2 different places that are an hour away from each other.
According to your other posts here, you are asking questions about where you should move to in Oregon. I assumed that you had lived there before and wanted to go back because it was somehow "better" than the Roanoke area. But it appears you are telling folks to stay somewhere that you yourself do not have much background in/on/with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:50 AM

7 posts, read 21,285 times
Wow, by using the phrase "Roanoke/Lynchburg area" it is clear that Daltonfamily has no clue as to what they are talking about. My best guess is that they are among the populous of south western VA in the sticks that associate themselves with Roanoke or Lynchburg because those cities are the only identifiable landmarks for several hundred miles. In which case they are right, there is nothing. Ignore their post. They really don't know what they are talking about when it comes to the Roanoke area.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM

19 posts, read 63,949 times
Wow, that was a stab! From what my husband says the people are very friendly out there & I called the school that my daughter will be attending in the fall & I must say I was pleasantly surprised at how nice she was. Since we've missed registration she invited me to come in after school lets out in June so she can personally go over everything with me. I don't have a choice to stay so we are going. We aren't leaving because of the environment, it's due to family obligations. I certainly hope it's not as bad as the one poster indicates. I am holding on to the hope that the majority of posters here are correct as a lot of the posts come from senior members & long time Roanokers. I've even looked at the OR forum & there isn't much nice to be said about this state but it's become my home. My main concern is the quality of life & education for my children so as long as I can find good a good school/daycare/after school providers I can make anything work.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:38 AM
j1n

Quote:
From what my husband says the people are very friendly out there
he's right
Quote:
I certainly hope it's not as bad as the one poster indicates
it's not
Quote:
I am holding on to the hope that the majority of posters here are correct
they are
Quote:
My main concern is the quality of life & education for my children so as long as I can find good a good school/daycare/after school providers I can make anything work.
no worries at all. you'll be fine.
welcome to VA!

Old 03-25-2011, 05:33 PM

3 posts, read 5,298 times
Default commute

What is the commute between salem and roanoke?

Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by caidkin View Post
What is the commute between salem and roanoke?
depends on where in Roanoke to where in Salem. From outlying R-noke County to the Glenvar (west) side of Salem could be 40 minutes. From downtown to downtown (say Mill Mtn Coffee downtown on Campbell to Mill Mtn Coffee on Main St in Salem) about 15 minutes or so.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,429 times
I lived in Roanoke for 4.5 years as I finished high school. My dad was transferred from
Nc to VA. I have to say that Roanoke is a great area. I went to Cave Spring High School. The education is great... Much better than Greensboro NC. Roanoke's downtown is very cute with lots of personality. I would have no problem moving back. I'm 30 now and live in Georgia with husband.
Actually wanting to move to Portland so bad!! Finishing nursing school and ready to head out west. Any reasons (legitimate) that I shouldn't move???

Old 04-27-2011, 08:24 AM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cscarter80 View Post
I lived in Roanoke for 4.5 years as I finished high school. My dad was transferred from
Nc to VA. I have to say that Roanoke is a great area. I went to Cave Spring High School. The education is great... Much better than Greensboro NC. Roanoke's downtown is very cute with lots of personality. I would have no problem moving back. I'm 30 now and live in Georgia with husband.
Actually wanting to move to Portland so bad!! Finishing nursing school and ready to head out west. Any reasons (legitimate) that I shouldn't move???
If you think that Roanoke is a great area and would have no problem moving back, not sure why Portland would be where you want to go...? I've got friends and family in the Portland area. You will not have the quantity of good weather that we enjoy here. If you loved Roanoke, move back! Your wallet will thank you!

Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,613 times
When you search for something on google (like daycare) search in salem, va as well as roanoke, va. Compared to salem, Roanoke is a much bigger town & has more services, malls, entertainment, etc.
When travelling from salem to roanoke you wont even realize when you entered roanoke. If you like peaceful places with less traffic, great outdoors & friendly people, you are going to love this place. Its a nice small town.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,841,613 times
Here's a good daycare with several locations:
HoneyTree Early Learning Centers

Mom's group:
Roanoke : Macaroni Kid

You can also connect with local people on facebook pages like roanoke,va or macaroni kid or K92 (radio station), WDBJ7, WSLS10 (tv stations), Roanoke Times (newspaper)

Dont worry about the driving distance between Salem & Roanoke. You dont have to travel on a highway or anything to get to Roanoke. Its a good place to raise a family because of good schools, low crime rate & affordable cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area