Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 01:24 PM

216 posts, read 422,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevDocJohn View Post
Ha ha, that was FUNNY!

You could say the same thing to people from the East Lake Erie area (Cleveland, Buffalo, even to Rochester). Although they DO get sun- and humidity- for about 12 weeks in the summer. But the cloudiness lasts (it seems) from October to May!

I am from Cleveland and I can unfortunately second this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2013, 06:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,548 times
Hi Garyzgal!

It's been a couple of years now since your original post and I am wondering how you have made out? We are in the same situation that you were in but we are coming from Ohio. I have 2 kids and have done a lot of research. We will be going next weekend to look around different areas of Salem and Roanoke. I am interested in finding out where you settled in, if the people were welcoming, and how the school experience has been, etc. I appreciate any feedback you can give me. This move is a possibility not a definite decision. Thank you for all your help.

Old 09-01-2013, 07:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,800 times
Did you ever get an answer??? I too am interested in Salem and am coming from Arizona.

Old 02-23-2017, 08:13 AM

15 posts, read 25,842 times
Default Homesick follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierzbra View Post
Hi!

I grew up in Roanoke. After my high school graduation, I left and traveled for a few years. You are right, the west coast and the east coast are different. While it will definitely be more conservative than what you are used to in the area, it is by no means like living in the middle of Tennessee or Alabama. Recycling certainly isn't their number one priority but the valley is beautiful and there are many initiatives to keep it that way. Both downtown Salem and downtown Roanoke are undergoing a rebuilding. The people are certainly friendly and a large portion have obtained a higher education degree. You will be forty five minutes from Virginia Tech and an hour and forty five minutes from UVa. Roanoke College is located in Salem, Va. I suggest that you look in to Roanoke Catholic School. Don't let the Catholic affiliation discourage you. I attended there and there were very few Catholics in my class... there was even a Muslim. It has a reputation for having a strong curriculum, challenging academics, and college acceptance at a reasonable price. My siblings liked it there. There are clubs and organizations for just about anything that you are into there. If I knew more about your interests, I could tell you about what the area has to offer. The Appalachian Trail zig zags through the area. I suggest you check out Draggon's Tooth. The area is really neat because you can stand in the middle of downtown and ten minutes later be up on top of a mountain. Of course, you will have to check out the Roanoke Star. Every year there is the Salem Fair which is kind of silly but we always had fun. Oh my gosh, you are making me home sick! Ask anything you want... I will answer the best I can. I know what you are leaving and it is beautiful. But I promise you, once you get used to this, you will see it is a different kind of beautiful.
Hey. Did you ever go home? )
Reading your post, I knot it's a bit older, I figured you could help us a more.
Could you recommend a good area for us please? We are planning on moving to VA in the near future but don't really have an area picked out yet I know it needs to be near the VA hospital and I like to live near some hiking areas, too. It should be a really quiet area, too; PTSD and all.
Could you or would you know by any chance too how people are with allergies? Here in Texas I have horrible horrible allergies. One of the major reasons I want to move. I can't stand their gasses here. I know you are not a doctor don't worry. just wondering.

Another thing I'm scared of are snakes and the size of spiders y'all might have. Any thoughts on that?!
Thank you for anyTHING you can help me/us with. Thank you.

I'm so excited to move there since it seems y'all have all 4 seasons, too.
(More than what we have chilly and effing hot)

Old 02-23-2017, 09:04 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,068,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeMeUs View Post
Hey. Did you ever go home? )
Reading your post, I knot it's a bit older, I figured you could help us a more.
Could you recommend a good area for us please? We are planning on moving to VA in the near future but don't really have an area picked out yet I know it needs to be near the VA hospital and I like to live near some hiking areas, too. It should be a really quiet area, too; PTSD and all.
Could you or would you know by any chance too how people are with allergies? Here in Texas I have horrible horrible allergies. One of the major reasons I want to move. I can't stand their gasses here. I know you are not a doctor don't worry. just wondering.

Another thing I'm scared of are snakes and the size of spiders y'all might have. Any thoughts on that?!
Thank you for anyTHING you can help me/us with. Thank you.

I'm so excited to move there since it seems y'all have all 4 seasons, too.
(More than what we have chilly and effing hot)
HEY we moved here from Texas in 2013 - and FOUR SEASONS was one of the big reasons why.

The VA hospital has a Salem address but it is a stone's thrown from the Roanoke/Salem line - so a huge number of neighborhoods in all four directions will be in easy traveling distance to the VA!

Likewise there is hiking in all four directions, so you can hardly go wrong! Appalachian Trail, Mill Mountain, Blue Ridge Parkway, the Greenway in Roanoke and Salem.

Allergies will be the roll of a dice. Being surrounded by mountains makes the area something of a bowl, so some have issues, but my wife does better here and no longer has to take shots. "Your mileage may vary!"

For a quiet area, there are semi-rural semi-suburban areas that would be a great choice - again in all directions - you really just need to come scope it out! It is a gorgeous area.

Old 02-23-2017, 09:58 AM

696 posts, read 1,430,689 times
Watchful nailed it but forgot one thing. We definitely have spiders & snakes but the most of the bigger/creepier critters stay south of the NC/VA border.

https://youtu.be/4lYdD9DdLNY?t=54
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area