Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2017, 10:58 AM

122 posts, read 124,192 times

Advertisements

I currently pay 1400 a year for a 500k replacement cost, 20 year old, house in Sacramento (including the auto ins bundling discount). What would one expect to pay (on the average) for, say, a newer 250 - 300k replacement cost house in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area? I am trying to do some retirement planning and am not yet at the point of looking at specific homes.

Also, here in the summer one would pay about $250 a month for water for good-sized lawns (.9 acre parcel). We don't have the benefit of rain from May until October. What would similar parcel summer water bills be in Va?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2017, 09:06 AM

65 posts, read 66,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdukeman View Post
I currently pay 1400 a year for a 500k replacement cost, 20 year old, house in Sacramento (including the auto ins bundling discount). What would one expect to pay (on the average) for, say, a newer 250 - 300k replacement cost house in the Roanoke/Lynchburg area? I am trying to do some retirement planning and am not yet at the point of looking at specific homes.

Also, here in the summer one would pay about $250 a month for water for good-sized lawns (.9 acre parcel). We don't have the benefit of rain from May until October. What would similar parcel summer water bills be in Va?
$1400 replacement cost for a $500k property sounds pretty good. I think you would pay around the same for a $250k home
or a bit more here. Insurance premiums make no sense to me but bundling with car insurance really helps.

Water/sewer is quite low around here. An acre would probably run about half of what you pay. I only pay $42/mo
on about 1/3 of an acre.

Good Luck in your searching!

Old 05-29-2017, 11:19 PM

Thanks, that's a big help. The lack of severe weather where I am now apparently makes up for the high cost of construction.

On the other hand, we get killed on utilities - there is a fixed charge of $25 a month for "capital improvements" to water/sewer. Then they raised use rates during the drought due to lost revenues. Yes, we were punished for conserving! And, of course, one needs a lot of water to keep grass/plants/trees alive at 100 degrees and 20% humidity (i.e., semi-desert).

Old 06-02-2017, 07:18 AM

65 posts, read 66,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacdukeman View Post
Thanks, that's a big help. The lack of severe weather where I am now apparently makes up for the high cost of construction.

On the other hand, we get killed on utilities - there is a fixed charge of $25 a month for "capital improvements" to water/sewer. Then they raised use rates during the drought due to lost revenues. Yes, we were punished for conserving! And, of course, one needs a lot of water to keep grass/plants/trees alive at 100 degrees and 20% humidity (i.e., semi-desert).
Our electric company does the same thing here. We had a very mild winter so we have to make up for it for a temporary
increase in rates for them to do something to improve our service.
Water is abundant here and droughts are rare. We are told there may be a drought and to limit water but noone takes it
seriously, except the farmers.
Humidity can get high here, although were in the mountains but nothing like DC or Piedmont regions. Today is 72 and 65 percent humidity. Summers can get to 90s and high humidity so air conditioning is needed in summer.
The best seasons here are Spring & Fall.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Guy View Post
Our electric company does the same thing here. We had a very mild winter so we have to make up for it for a temporary
increase in rates for them to do something to improve our service.
Water is abundant here and droughts are rare. We are told there may be a drought and to limit water but noone takes it
seriously, except the farmers.
Humidity can get high here, although were in the mountains but nothing like DC or Piedmont regions. Today is 72 and 65 percent humidity. Summers can get to 90s and high humidity so air conditioning is needed in summer.
The best seasons here are Spring & Fall.
I understand - when I lived in Durham, I recall there were some very humid days, though for the most part the humidity seemed fine. It would rise and fall. I suspect you would have close to the perfect level much of the time - high enough for plants (and people) not to wither but not so high as to be oppressive. I think 40 -50% is close to ideal at above 80 degrees.

Our springs and falls are quite close to Durham's - I assume you would be similar, though perhaps a touch cooler, esp in October (when Sacramento can still be quite warm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
View detailed profiles of: