Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 03:56 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread love View Post
Me and my wife are thinking about relocating to Roanoke, VA from Portland Oregon. I am originally from Alexandria Va but I haven't lived on the east coast or VA in about 11yrs after I graduated from college. I am originally from Alexandria VA and my experience growing up in Alexandria VA was that the city was very much segregated. I have visited Roanoke but never spent any considerable amount of time there. My question is, is Roanoke progressive? I am not some extreme liberal ( not saying any thing is wrong with anyone who is) I just have to factor this in being a black man in this world and raising black children. We are looking at some homes to purchase. What are some good and affordable neighborhoods? is Roanoke family friendly? is gentrification an issue? I am very wary about moving my family there. I just want to make sure there is some form of equity and a healthy living environment. If someone can shed some light on my concerns, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks and spread love
I'm gonna send you some thoughts by direct message - we would love to have ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 12:39 PM

126 posts, read 324,366 times
Default Roanoke is a small, Southern town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spread love View Post
Me and my wife are thinking about relocating to Roanoke, VA from Portland Oregon. I am originally from Alexandria Va but I haven't lived on the east coast or VA in about 11yrs after I graduated from college. I am originally from Alexandria VA and my experience growing up in Alexandria VA was that the city was very much segregated. I have visited Roanoke but never spent any considerable amount of time there. My question is, is Roanoke progressive? I am not some extreme liberal ( not saying any thing is wrong with anyone who is) I just have to factor this in being a black man in this world and raising black children. We are looking at some homes to purchase. What are some good and affordable neighborhoods? is Roanoke family friendly? is gentrification an issue? I am very wary about moving my family there. I just want to make sure there is some form of equity and a healthy living environment. If someone can shed some light on my concerns, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks and spread love
To give you some comparison, check out Roseburg, Oregon. Add a Southern accent.

If you have any other questions, feel free to DM me. I moved to Roanoke from the west coast and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 10-27-2018, 03:13 AM

15 posts, read 13,174 times
Hi all...but specifically Happygal and Watchful... I am in a somewhat similar situation as Spreadlove...but female and coming from California (originally from Atlanta)...could anyone offer myself similar insite as you guys have offered Spreadlove by way of direct message? or please just post the tolerance level for outsiders and/or people with a liberal or moderate mindset and/or people who are non-white... I am looking at homes in the Raleigh Court area....

And I was actually a Black republican until the current election year, so I am moderate to conservative in my politcal leanings

Any advice or criticism would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-29-2018, 02:13 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Finally sent you a direct message F.A.N.

Old 11-01-2018, 06:52 AM

230 posts, read 230,154 times
This is a great thread, we are checking out Roanoke as a possible place to move soon, too. There's a couple other cities along the eastern side of the US we are also visiting. Much have the same allure for us, lower COL, and outdoor recreation. Currently in DFW, but from the PacNW. We hate the lack of outdoor activity here. Anything worthwhile is hours, sometimes a full day drive to places like Denver or Big Bend, or the Guads. The only immediate concern I have with Roanoke is it seems to be it could be a bit of a Bend, OR in the the making. A great mountain town with lots of charm and attraction for tourists, but as people continue to move there due to how appealing the place is, a lack of jobs other than service industry. For those that have been living there, what do you think? Is it easy to pick up government contracting gigs due to the proximity to DC?

Old 04-30-2019, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Scott,

Did you end up moving to Roanoke? I am thinking of doing the same thing! Moving from Denver metro to Roanoke. If you made the move, what do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.

Robin

Old 05-21-2019, 08:44 AM

155 posts, read 287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverDancingDiva View Post
Scott,

Did you end up moving to Roanoke? I am thinking of doing the same thing! Moving from Denver metro to Roanoke. If you made the move, what do you think?

Thanks for your feedback.

Robin
Hi Robin!

So sorry to just now be seeing this! I'm actually still in Colorado until September. And then I'm moving to Knoxville, Tennessee.

It came down to Knoxville, Chattanooga and Roanoke, and I chose Knoxville for a few reasons. Happy to chat with you or feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss more.

My parents and sister still live about 45 minutes from Roanoke so I'll still be able to visit there when I visit my family.

Have a great day and don't hesitate to reach out!

Last edited by scottcolby; 05-21-2019 at 09:09 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 05:38 AM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
I'm actually still in Colorado until September. And then I'm moving to Knoxville, Tennessee.
Knoxville is a fun little town. Enjoy the scruff!

Old 05-24-2019, 08:17 AM

155 posts, read 287,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Knoxville is a fun little town. Enjoy the scruff!
Thank you! I'm looking forward to it. Especially since we got 9 inches of snow in Colorado a couple days ago!

Old 06-21-2019, 05:58 PM

7 posts, read 9,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
Hi Robin!

So sorry to just now be seeing this! I'm actually still in Colorado until September. And then I'm moving to Knoxville, Tennessee.

It came down to Knoxville, Chattanooga and Roanoke, and I chose Knoxville for a few reasons. Happy to chat with you or feel free to send me a private message if you'd like to discuss more.

My parents and sister still live about 45 minutes from Roanoke so I'll still be able to visit there when I visit my family.

Have a great day and don't hesitate to reach out!
Hey Scott - I'd love to hear why you ended up choosing Knoxville?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area