Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I currently live in Denver, Colorado and I'm considering moving to Roanoke next month, in part, to find a less crowded, more affordable place to live.

I'm single, in my 40s, love the outdoors. I grew up in Fairfax, went to UVA and have family in Smith Mountain Lake and Christensburg.

I run my own online business, and work from home and coffee shops. I do enjoy being able to walk to places (coffee shops, restaurants) and also enjoy being close to trails and water (lakes, rivers).

What are some of the pros and cons of living in Roanoke itself and where are the best areas of Roanoke to live? I am looking to rent. How is the downtown scene? Is there an energy to it?

Thank you!

Scott

P.S. I am considering Charlottesville as well, so if you have any opinions of C-ville vs Roanoke, please share (not including the sad events from yesterday)!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2017, 02:53 PM

102 posts, read 149,123 times
Hi Scott,

If you've been to UVA, SML, and Christiansburg, you'll have a pretty good idea about Roanoke. I've lived there for 10 years, and really enjoyed it.

My first pro is that it is a pretty cheap place to live. Housing cost isn't bad, grocery prices low, and gas is cheap. I didn't live downtown, but since it is smaller, you can walk just about anywhere in town. If you live south downtown, you'll find the greenways are easy to get to. There are a number of places to eat. I didn't eat downtown a whole lot just because I'm more of a chain restaurant person. If you like pizza though, Lenores is very good.

Being in your 40's, you might not find a lot of energy downtown unless you are into art. The younger crowd will usually be out on the weekends. During the week, evenings are pretty quiet.

If you are working from home and making the same that you make in Denver, you'll love of cost of living difference. That along with the welcoming people in Roanoke would be enough to make me move.

Also, there is no traffic.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
If I were looking for "walkable" rentals I would begin with anything within 15-20 minutes of the Grandin Theatre. The shopping area is called Grandin Village but the neighborhood is Raleigh Court. Awesome area.

Wasena, Old Southwest and downtown are also great. There are also some great rentals close to Crystal Spring area.

You can do a little better price wise, but some of the areas are not walkable, and others are walkable to places you wouldn't want to walk to haha!

The River House in Wasena is very popular as it is right next to the greenway.

The zips in question are 24015 (Raleigh Court and Wasena) 24016 (Old SW) 24011 (downtown) and 24014 (Crystal Spring/South Roanoke).

There are plenty of other urban and suburbanish options but these are the ones that fall in the "awesome" category in my not-so-humble opinion. These are also the areas in which I will be looking for a house in the somewhat foreseeable future.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:00 AM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
As far as C-ville - when we were scouting for a place to relocate - everything I read about Charlottesville was very encouraging except for the cost of living.

I would guess that with the very large university you will pay a premium in rentals. OTOH there should be many rentals available, especially if you aren't looking in the summer!

Lots of amenities, but there are pluses and minuses with living in a college town, I think.

Old 08-15-2017, 09:27 AM

63 posts, read 100,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post
Hi Scott,

If you've been to UVA, SML, and Christiansburg, you'll have a pretty good idea about Roanoke. I've lived there for 10 years, and really enjoyed it.

My first pro is that it is a pretty cheap place to live. Housing cost isn't bad, grocery prices low, and gas is cheap. I didn't live downtown, but since it is smaller, you can walk just about anywhere in town. If you live south downtown, you'll find the greenways are easy to get to. There are a number of places to eat. I didn't eat downtown a whole lot just because I'm more of a chain restaurant person. If you like pizza though, Lenores is very good.

Being in your 40's, you might not find a lot of energy downtown unless you are into art. The younger crowd will usually be out on the weekends. During the week, evenings are pretty quiet.

If you are working from home and making the same that you make in Denver, you'll love of cost of living difference. That along with the welcoming people in Roanoke would be enough to make me move.

Hi! As we are moving to Roanoke in October, what ARE the gas prices? Surely better than CA!

Old 08-15-2017, 10:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
Hi there!

I currently live in Denver, Colorado and I'm considering moving to Roanoke next month, in part, to find a less crowded, more affordable place to live.

I'm single, in my 40s, love the outdoors. I grew up in Fairfax, went to UVA and have family in Smith Mountain Lake and Christensburg.

I run my own online business, and work from home and coffee shops. I do enjoy being able to walk to places (coffee shops, restaurants) and also enjoy being close to trails and water (lakes, rivers).

What are some of the pros and cons of living in Roanoke itself and where are the best areas of Roanoke to live? I am looking to rent. How is the downtown scene? Is there an energy to it?

Thank you!

Scott

P.S. I am considering Charlottesville as well, so if you have any opinions of C-ville vs Roanoke, please share (not including the sad events from yesterday)!
It's Christiansburg.

I vote for Roanoke, but as the OP's sister, I'm completely biased. Please, everyone, convince him Roanoke is the best place for him! I have given it my best shot.

Old 08-15-2017, 10:37 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,150,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roanoke Bound View Post
Hi! As we are moving to Roanoke in October, what ARE the gas prices? Surely better than CA!
Heck, yeah! Currently around $2 for regular, give or take 5 cents.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:07 PM

696 posts, read 1,428,662 times
Move to Roanoke, live in Grandin, join the CoLab, paddle the Roanoke River and Mason's Creek after work, and visit the lake on weekends.

Cville is nice, but too college-town for me. I'm a little older than you and there is plenty for grownups to do here without having to navigate pukey sidewalks.

Driving to Cville is lovely, but *being* in Roanoke is better. Everything here is *right here.* If you like to play outside, Roanoke beats Cville hands down.

I am from DC metro also (MoCo) - never moving back!

Old 08-18-2017, 03:45 PM

155 posts, read 287,734 times
Thank you!

I know I would love the cost of living difference. It's gotten really bad in Denver, and I'd be making the same money since I work online.

The greenways, and no traffic are a huge plus!

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime00 View Post
Hi Scott,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchful View Post
If I were looking for "walkable" rentals I would begin with anything within 15-20 minutes of the Grandin Theatre. The shopping area is called Grandin Village but the neighborhood is Raleigh Court. Awesome area.

Wasena, Old Southwest and downtown are also great. There are also some great rentals close to Crystal Spring area.

You can do a little better price wise, but some of the areas are not walkable, and others are walkable to places you wouldn't want to walk to haha!

The River House in Wasena is very popular as it is right next to the greenway.

The zips in question are 24015 (Raleigh Court and Wasena) 24016 (Old SW) 24011 (downtown) and 24014 (Crystal Spring/South Roanoke).

There are plenty of other urban and suburbanish options but these are the ones that fall in the "awesome" category in my not-so-humble opinion. These are also the areas in which I will be looking for a house in the somewhat foreseeable future.

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions. I did check out The River House when I was there a couple months ago and really liked the location. Did some kayaking in the river right there (our end point was right where the apartments were) and then hopped on a bike to bike the greenway.

I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by headnsouth View Post
Move to Roanoke, live in Grandin, join the CoLab, paddle the Roanoke River and Mason's Creek after work, and visit the lake on weekends.

Cville is nice, but too college-town for me. I'm a little older than you and there is plenty for grownups to do here without having to navigate pukey sidewalks.

Driving to Cville is lovely, but *being* in Roanoke is better. Everything here is *right here.* If you like to play outside, Roanoke beats Cville hands down.

I am from DC metro also (MoCo) - never moving back!
Sounds like a nice life!

Last edited by Yac; 08-21-2017 at 06:22 AM.. Reason: 3 posts in a row merged

Old 10-09-2018, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 19,034 times
Me and my wife are thinking about relocating to Roanoke, VA from Portland Oregon. I am originally from Alexandria Va but I haven't lived on the east coast or VA in about 11yrs after I graduated from college. I am originally from Alexandria VA and my experience growing up in Alexandria VA was that the city was very much segregated. I have visited Roanoke but never spent any considerable amount of time there. My question is, is Roanoke progressive? I am not some extreme liberal ( not saying any thing is wrong with anyone who is) I just have to factor this in being a black man in this world and raising black children. We are looking at some homes to purchase. What are some good and affordable neighborhoods? is Roanoke family friendly? is gentrification an issue? I am very wary about moving my family there. I just want to make sure there is some form of equity and a healthy living environment. If someone can shed some light on my concerns, that would be very much appreciated. Thanks and spread love
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area