Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 04:10 PM

88 posts, read 179,607 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!
I would LOVE to get some info from the locals on area's around Roanoke. My husband has accepted a position within his company that will be taking us to the Roanoke area. We have two kids, 13 & 11; my husband is a Chemical Sales Rep and I am a Teachers Assistant. We currently live in a very rural town in Texas with about 3000 population. We are wanting someplace a bit larger... maybe 6-7000. We have looked at Covington, Lexington, and outer Roanoke areas. The schools seem to be good at all and housing prices are pretty comparable also. We would greatly appreciate ANY advice on helping us decide on a location. We have NO family in the area.... don't know a single soul... so this is a huge move for us!
Thanks to All who post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 04:23 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,892,313 times
Default Covington & Lexington

Covington/Clifton Forge is a beautiful, remote type of area. If you guys are outdoors types the area is perfect!! In the winter, snow skiing at Snowshoe, WV is big. In the summer you can enjoy the lakes in the area and in WV. WV has great state parks with cabins, whitewater rafting, hiking. Hunting, Fishing are an expected activity up there as well as boating. There is an Amtrak train that stops at Clifton Forge which goes to Washington DC so if you want to go to the Big City then its not too far away. Lexington is mainly an historic, university town. Its a lot like Charlottesville which is historic and rather "exclusive". Roanoke is the "Big" city in the area. It started as a wild railroad town but today its a medical, shopping and tourist area. I think many people from Covington/Lexington come here to shop, etc. If you're from a small town you will fit in fine in Covington!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:06 PM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,661,852 times
Hey Texaschic...
I'm not familiar with Lexington, really. But Clifton Forge is a pretty nice little town of about 4000. If it were closer to Roanoke, I'd look into moving there.
Just curious...why are you looking in the areas that you are (further outside of Roanoke rather than closer in to town)?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:17 PM

1,341 posts, read 6,191,820 times
A town with a 3,000 population would be reproduced by Rocky Mount or Troutville and both are about the same distance from Roanoke. J1n steers you right. Covington is like an hour and a half away from Roanoke.

You might look in Craig County on the south side, which is mighty gorgeous land and in some parts is 20 minutes from downtown.

Sean

Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM

Default Thanks!

Thanks for the feedback guys! To answer your question j1n... we are looking at outer Roanoke/Covington area because my husbands job will actually be in Covington... at the MeadWestVaco Mill there. He really doesn't want much more than a half hour commute. We really like Covington, but housing is very slim there.. so we may have to expand the areas we are looking at.

Any areas we should stay away from? Any schools that have a black eye?

Ya'll have provided much info and i sure appreciate it! We are very outdoorsy people... love to ski.. love to camp/boat.. speaking of outdoors, how are the summers there? I love the hot weather here... does it get pretty warm there? I know ya'll get some extreme winters... but we never get snow so I'm excited to have some of that!

Thanks again Ya'll.... any more info would be mighty fine!!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 04:39 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys! To answer your question j1n... we are looking at outer Roanoke/Covington area because my husbands job will actually be in Covington... at the MeadWestVaco Mill there. He really doesn't want much more than a half hour commute. We really like Covington, but housing is very slim there.. so we may have to expand the areas we are looking at.

Any areas we should stay away from? Any schools that have a black eye?

Ya'll have provided much info and i sure appreciate it! We are very outdoorsy people... love to ski.. love to camp/boat.. speaking of outdoors, how are the summers there? I love the hot weather here... does it get pretty warm there? I know ya'll get some extreme winters... but we never get snow so I'm excited to have some of that!

Thanks again Ya'll.... any more info would be mighty fine!!!!
My bad...I assumed that he was transferring to Roanoke. I would definitely try to get something in Clifton Forge! You can check out the schools here, but I'm thinking the schools there are probably fine.
I think you'll fit in well. My wife is originally from TX, and she loves it here. You have skiing in WV at Snowshoe and camping and hiking everywhere. The Appalachian Trail runs through not far from where you will be. VA doesn't have any large natural lakes, but there are a few big man-made lakes and a lot of rivers; also a lot of streams with waterfalls. It gets hot and humid here. Last year, we had a week or two stretch of 90's. Usually 70's and 80's the rest of the time. Fall is nice...we get a nice array of colors. Winter, I think, is great. Not too much snow...but just enough to make the mountains look really pretty. And the air gets really crisp in the winter. You can see a lot farther than summer...summer tends to be hazy.
And you are an easy ride to Roanoke (the big city ) for a Saturday of shopping, whatever.

Old 05-01-2008, 12:25 PM

great info j1n.. thanks. Sounds like there is an abundance of things to do around the area! Is Roanoke really an hour and a half from Covington? Are there any good small towns (6-7000 pp) between Covington & Roanoke besides Lexington? I hate to have to drive an hour and a half just to go to Costco/Sams Club! lol.... I have looked at many towns around there on the city data site... but I know that sometimes if it says population 1345... the town itself may be larger because most of the people live outside city limits. Anyway... this moving thing is very hard when you live 1200 miles away and know nothing about the area! Thanks again to everyone who has advice.... this is a wonderful site to gain info!

Old 05-01-2008, 01:39 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
great info j1n.. thanks. Sounds like there is an abundance of things to do around the area! Is Roanoke really an hour and a half from Covington? Are there any good small towns (6-7000 pp) between Covington & Roanoke besides Lexington? I hate to have to drive an hour and a half just to go to Costco/Sams Club! lol.... I have looked at many towns around there on the city data site... but I know that sometimes if it says population 1345... the town itself may be larger because most of the people live outside city limits. Anyway... this moving thing is very hard when you live 1200 miles away and know nothing about the area! Thanks again to everyone who has advice.... this is a wonderful site to gain info!
It's less than 60 miles from Covington to Roanoke. It all depends on where you are heading to in Roanoke as well. Mapquest says less than an hour and a half, but not much.
You are right about the "town population" thing. Lots of people live outside the city limits in most places.
A lot of your driving times will be dictated by your proximity to I-81, 581, etc. It might take 45 minutes to get from home, out these winding country roads, just to get to 81. Once on the highway though, you could be at work in 10 minutes!
Good locations worth looking into might be Fincastle, Buchanon, Daleville, and Blue Ridge.

Old 05-03-2008, 01:10 PM

210 posts, read 1,139,928 times
No ! Covington is not an hour and a half from Roanoke. It is less then an hour. I use to do it in 50 minutes when I lived there.

Teaxaschic send me a direct message or an email and I will give you some information. I was born and raised in Covington and now live in the Lexington- Buena Vista area.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:22 PM

Default covington it is... I think!

Well I think we have narrowed it down to Covington... if we can find a home there! I've communicated with a realtor and she has came up with some finds that I couldn't. We are hoping to find something within the month. From everything I hear, Covington seems like a nice town.

I was a little worried that the folks in Virginia would think of us as odd country hillbillys... (ya know us Texans tend to think of everyone North of us as Yankees).... but from all the posts I've read in the different forums I think we will fit in just fine! Our querky accents & all! I've also heard a lot of people say that Virginia is still considered the south... God Bless America!

All those that may be Yankees... take no offense please... I love all of you! My husband (God bless his heart) is a Yankee also!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area