Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 11:07 AM

88 posts, read 179,710 times

Advertisements

I have had dealings with these little pests you speak of. We lived in Washington State before returning to Texas.... and they are very pesky. We rented a beach home once and they were everywhere inside... they give off a nasty odor, hence their name. UGH. Here in Texas we don't have them, but we do have the other stick bug... the flat one that looks creepy.

Since we will be relocating to Virginia in July.... this topic of discussion brings a question to mind. Does Virginia have love bugs.... black flying bugs that have orange heads; they fly around stuck together in swarms. They stick to the front of your car like glue and will actually ruin the paint if you don't wash it off frequently. I hate these little suckers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 11:54 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,664,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
Does Virginia have love bugs.... black flying bugs that have orange heads; they fly around stuck together in swarms. They stick to the front of your car like glue and will actually ruin the paint if you don't wash it off frequently. I hate these little suckers!
I may be wrong, but I don't think we do. On the east coast, I think you have to go to FL for them...and, well, who would really want to go to FL?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:55 PM

76 posts, read 211,278 times
ROFL. Who indeed?

I live in Florida now, and I can't wait to move to Virginia in July. And yes, we DO have love bugs here in FL. They are fine overall in that they just fly around and don't bite or sting or anything, but they will mess up your car's paint. Keeping it washed off frequently is the only thing to do. It would be great if I wouldn't have to worry about them in VA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
I may be wrong, but I don't think we do. On the east coast, I think you have to go to FL for them...and, well, who would really want to go to FL?

Old 05-17-2008, 03:29 PM

Default bugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by j1n View Post
Yippeeeee!!
Another score 4 Virginia! Looking better all the time!

Old 05-17-2008, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi_B View Post
ROFL. Who indeed?

I live in Florida now, and I can't wait to move to Virginia in July. And yes, we DO have love bugs here in FL. They are fine overall in that they just fly around and don't bite or sting or anything, but they will mess up your car's paint. Keeping it washed off frequently is the only thing to do. It would be great if I wouldn't have to worry about them in VA!
What part of Virginia are you moving to? Roanoke?

Old 05-17-2008, 04:29 PM

76 posts, read 211,278 times
Close. Lynchburg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaschic View Post
What part of Virginia are you moving to? Roanoke?

Old 05-17-2008, 05:26 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi_B View Post
Close. Lynchburg.
ah well, at least you'll have the "big city" (Roanoke) is close enough to run to when ya need it!

Old 05-20-2008, 01:58 AM

12 posts, read 31,621 times
Default you will love roanoke

We moved here from New England 5 years ago and will never go back.
I was driving through returning from North Carolina and stopped for gas in
Roanoke. I drove through downtown and was in awe. It is wonderful, so wonderful. Its seductive in that it offers a fresh embrace for all ages and has a real way of breathing life into a weary soul. The sights and sounds are all so pleasurable. Everything from the strawberry festival to free movies on the green in the summer. the Market place has farmers, soap makers, fresh baked breads, jewelry, hip clothes, framed art, pottery, and far too many other booths to name...and that does not include the great shops and cafe's
that line the streets that are patrolled by police on horses or on bicycle.
Close your eyes and dream a food you wish you could eat and its there.
Like a small European town with beautiful buildings that don't block your view of the sky. Shopping ~ its all there ~ museums ~ theatre ~ culture ~ arts ~ as well as the earthier activities of hunting fishing hiking... Step outside the city and you are in agrarian turf.. east toward Bedford County is a nice drive on a main road they call a highway but unlike "city" highways.
It is charming and a 20 mile drive east brings you to a town like Andy of Mayberry. When we first moved here we saw a woman running down the street to give a customer her 10 cents change she hadn't collected after a purchase. How sweet is that?!! There is a sense of God's country when you
look at the breathtaking scenery that never ends. The mountains can be seen wherever you are. Its like going into a store that sells tv's and those perfect landscaped and arial photography cd's are in place showing some majestic place where some lucky soul lives..that's Roanoke and its surrounding area. Don't miss out!!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 AM

36 posts, read 95,355 times
Default moving to virginia

savvymom

You have me drooling about relocating to roanoke. I have been reading alot of the forums regarding roanoke area and have alot of information pamphlets, etc. I am planning a trip to the area soon to have a look first hand for myself. I truly believe this is the area for us because it has all the stores and outdoor activities that we are looking for. I am already impressed with the areas beauty and mountains. I love the summer strawberry festivals, indoor swap meets, farmers markets, etc. I am already sold on the areas being so beautiful my only MAIN CONCERN is jobs. I have been hearing horrible stories about the job situation in roanoke. I am not in a high I.T. field so I hoping finding a job will be easy. ( my field of choice will be in human resource). I check the daily online ads for jobs and there seems to be a few open positions each week, etc. I 'm hoping to come to the area and find a job first before moving, if I can find a job then everything else will hopefully fall into place. Were I live now in Iowa, there is no scenery its just flat land and alot of racist rednecks.( which is one of the main reasons we are leaving). I have read alot of other people forums that have commented on how roanoke is pretty redneckish, is this true? Would you or anyone in this forum kinda decribe if and how redneckish the area is? What I mean by this is are there alot of people driving trucks with confederate flags and is their alot of racial tention in the area? I know this is the south and being in a interrracial relationship with a daughter is a big concern for me. So if I can get alittle more specific information on what the people in the forums mean by roanoke being in a redneckish area I would appreciate it. This information will help me make my final decision of moving to roanoke. Thanks for you positive input on the area and yes I am still drooling.

kitkat70

Old 05-20-2008, 10:30 AM
j1n

hey kitkat70...
I don't ever perceive any real racial tension in the Roanoke Valley. Certainly no more than anywhere else I've ever been. I moved to VA from right outside NYC, and I would say there was more racial tension there than here. Certainly a lot more division.
But, yes...there are a LOT of confederate flags around. And there are a LOT of rednecks. I'm not saying that they are all bad folks. Certainly not. Many of the "country folks" are excellent, salt-of-the-earth, give-you-the-shirt-off-their-back nice folks. But I have also run into some seriously and blatantly outsider-unfriendly rednecks here. But I know now where NOT to go....where NOT to patronize...etc. The city of Roanoke? No problem. And I've seen plenty of mixed-race couples, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area