Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 PM

73 posts, read 475,283 times

Advertisements

KitKat,
I think you'll be fine here. Like J1N said, racism does exist, but I've found it to be few and far between, and when I have run into it, it's the old-school folks like my 86-year-old grandma. "Things were different" back in her day, so they always say to justify themselves.
I live in Bedford County, about 20 miles east of Roanoke, and I could probably count on one hand how many Confederate flags I've seen since we moved here a little over a year ago. My next-door neighbors are a very nice mixed-race couple with several children, and we are definitely in the country! The kids have tons of friends over all the time, so they're not ostracized in the least.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 12:57 PM

36 posts, read 95,321 times
j1n

Thanks for the clarifying that for me. I have lived all over different states because of the military and have met and befriended alot of really nice country folk. Actually I preferred to be around country folks because they know how to have a good time and treat you nice (compared to how big city people treat you). Of all the places I have live that was in the country, I have never come across any that was up front racist until I moved here to Iowa. I am a very universal type person who can adjust in any environment. My daughter first experience with racial tention and name calling was here in Iowa. I know smaller towns can be alot different then big city areas especially somewhere like NYC. I know that no matter where I live I have to make the best of it because no place is perfect. thanks again for your help.

kitkat70

Old 05-20-2008, 01:34 PM

Default moving to virginia

Ryleigh

I feel much better after reading j1n and your forum. Without a doubt, our grandparents generations was much different then ours. I have family that lives in geogia and they always tell me that the southern states still have the racial mentality. You all are right that racism does exist everywhere UNFORTUNATELY but I am a true believer, that if you have a strong mentality and love yourself then you can pretty much overcome anything.

kitkat70

Old 05-21-2008, 09:04 AM

J1n

I think what I will do is write down my questions as they come to me. Everyone keeps telling me how country rural roanoke county is and the thought that pops in my mind is rural like farm rural or just rural? I hope that you or anyone in the forum can define for me what rural is in roanoke. I currently live in the rural/ country with nothing but cornfields around me and annoying farmers who are always in the road driving there john deere tractors. Please tell me what areas in roanoke county is farm area so we know where not to look. We want to eventually buy some land and build once we have been in the area for awhile but not in a rural area near farms. We want to be rural secluded but not farm rural ( I dont want to wake up each morning and smell crap) if that makes any sense.

kitkat70

Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 AM
j1n

1,245 posts, read 4,663,887 times
It's very varied and also often intermingled. There are some more hilly areas that are lots of woods and housing...housing mixed from tidy brick homes (tons of brick here) to older farmhouse-type homes to manufactured homes log homes to oldschool singlewides. There are also areas that have woods next to farm fields next to brand new, high-priced new developments. There is really no rhyme or reason to it.
I believe that much of Roanoke County is zoned A-1 (agricultural) so you will often find homes with a fenced in goat pasture or horse pasture. I've seen llamas in the city, and we drove past a zebra in someone's yard in the Cave Spring area.
Because it is so varied, your best bet would probably be to let us know where you are looking, and someone will be able to give you the info on that specific area.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:24 PM

j1n

We were considering looking into the area of blue ridge, va. I kinda want to be about 10 miles from roanoke give or take a few miles. I havent been able to get any information regarding the town. I know it is about 10-12 miles from roanoke and that is okay to. I'm hoping that this area ISN't farmland but may possible have alot of nice mountain views. I would just like to know if anyone has any information or can describe to me what blue ridge, va is like? does this town offer rental properties or is it mostly a small town where everyone pretty much owns? has anyone ever driven through blue ridge, Va?

kitkat70

Old 05-21-2008, 03:21 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat70 View Post
j1n

We were considering looking into the area of blue ridge, va. I kinda want to be about 10 miles from roanoke give or take a few miles. I havent been able to get any information regarding the town. I know it is about 10-12 miles from roanoke and that is okay to. I'm hoping that this area ISN't farmland but may possible have alot of nice mountain views. I would just like to know if anyone has any information or can describe to me what blue ridge, va is like? does this town offer rental properties or is it mostly a small town where everyone pretty much owns? has anyone ever driven through blue ridge, Va?

kitkat70
It's pretty nice out there. Very "country". Same deal...folks will have chickens, goats, horses, cows in their yards sometimes. The good thing is that you can be in Roanoke very quickly...probably 10 minutes. Not too many rentals out there. And definitely not much, if any, will be found online. You'd have to drive it and look for "for rent" signs, but I doubt you'd find much even that way. As far as mountain views...you may end up with a view of a ridgeline behind your place or something like that. But as far as peaks...probably not as much as from somewhere like Salem, or somewhere in Roanoke city.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:51 PM

j1n

Now that I know that country in Virginia is the same as country here in Iowa, I will just have to take an extra week off work when I visit so I can explore all the areas. Thanks again you are awesome!

kitkat70

Old 05-21-2008, 04:03 PM
j1n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat70 View Post
j1n

Now that I know that country in Virginia is the same as country here in Iowa, I will just have to take an extra week off work when I visit so I can explore all the areas. Thanks again you are awesome!

kitkat70
No worries. I will tell you this..."country" here is different than the "country" that I have experienced in the parts of the midwest I've been to recently (MN and SD). There's not that "big sky" feeling over endless rolling fields like it is out there. Here, it's a lot more hilly and wooded. etc. And I think that makes the farmy stuff seem not quite so obvious, as often it's "over that hill" or "down in the hollow past those woods". So you are able to live in a farmy environment without necessarily always smelling the poo.

Old 05-22-2008, 09:33 AM

j1n

LOL You must have been reading my mind! I was thinking that virginia "country" is probably the same as Iowa midwest country. You are absolutely right about the country feeling in the midwest. I could never quite shake the feeling of endless FLAT rolling fields. I want to be in an area where their are curved roads, hilly/ country wooded areas. YES! call me crazy! I can live in a farmy environment and even deal with all the negatives that represent farms, but I DON"T WANT TO LIVE NEXT DOOR to a farm. Where I live now, I live directly across the road from three farms with cornfields, sheep, cows, horses you name it. There's nothing worse then waking up to the smell of poo when I'd rather be waken by the smell of breakfast. I don't even need an alarm clock to get me up in the morning because the farm animals wake me up. Now that I know there is a different type of "country" in Virginia, I know it will suit me just fine.

kitkat70
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area