Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 11:26 AM

39 posts, read 72,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Jonas View Post
Based on previous talks on this board I assume you are a bit older then me. (I'm 36). The areas you listed are all very urban areas.

Is it safe to assume you were drawn to these areas when you were younger?

When you were my age, how would you have seen Lynchburg when you were in my age? Would you have embraced the place or would you have drifted towards areas like Chicago, Seattle, Atlanta, LA, Denver and the suburbs of NYC?

I have found that, yes, Lynchburg does have theatres...but it is high school or college productions. It is not the RSC! The Randolph College art gallery is quite nice (they have a Whistler, a VERY small one, but still a Whistler) but the gallery is also VERY small. (There is an interesting gallery inside an architecture firm in the old down town too...no Whistlers though ). I think shopping lacks basic stores like GAP, Express Men, Banana Republic.....

Anyhow, I am getting off the point.

I really respect your opinions, so I am basically wondering - when people like me or "thejoe" (or others who have moved on) who are a bit sceptical about Lynchburg (to say the least) can you see were we are comming from, or do you think we are completely off the mark?
From my experience I think a lot of the Pro-Lynchburg folk that seem 'unusually positive' and 'unusually pro-lynchburg' may take that stance out of a regional complex issue. And that stems from Lynchburg's association with the whole Jerry Falwell thing. It's like they know what's coming at them when the topic of living in Lynchburg, Va is brought up. Their position is always the same in discussive points: Lynchburg is a great place to raise a family; Quiet and peaceful; Good little town; Family, family, family, etc. You see it on here, and I witness it when talking to natives of the area. I mean I've lived in other locales that I much prefer over L-Burg but I don't get all defensive when someone else expresses an alternative opinion or even cuts up the area verbally. And I don't call myself Houstonlover, or Pro-Buffalo; Tampalover, nothing like that.

LynchburgLover - no offense, but you get my point.

Not to bring up politics and religion but I would probably have the same reaction if I was from here and Falwell made the area a laughing stock each and every time he opened his mouth and made those really stupid, archaic remarks that caused national controversy. (9/11 and the Smurfs?). It's kind of a shame really.

Last edited by nubosa; 11-05-2009 at 11:43 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 12:50 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,451,751 times
I do love Lynchburg but there is one thing I think a lot of people don't know about the city.

There are two distinct groups: the Liberty/TRBC crowd and the Peakland/Boonsboro crowd. Rarely do they overlap. Peakland/Boonsbor are more the "old money" crowd: doctors/lawyers/business/country club crowd that do the Episcopal/Presbyterian/Methodist churches. They're a little more liberal and they do get a bit defensive about Lynchburg being typecast and ridiculed. Would you want your town to be unfairly portrayed on a SNL skit?

I am not saying either group is better than the other. Both have their advantages and disadvantages.

But I stand by my belief that Lynchburg would make a wonderful choice for the Original Poster and the qualifiers he put: Young family with children already attracted to Liberty.

It is certainly not the perfect city for everyone. But what city is?

Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 AM

12 posts, read 34,105 times
There are two distinct groups: the Liberty/TRBC crowd and the Peakland/Boonsboro crowd. Rarely do they overlap. Peakland/Boonsbor are more the "old money" crowd: doctors/lawyers/business/country club crowd that do the Episcopal/Presbyterian/Methodist churches. They're a little more liberal and they do get a bit defensive about Lynchburg being typecast and ridiculed. Would you want your town to be unfairly portrayed on a SNL skit?

It certainly is! I lived in the 'lburg' for 5 years and that is exactly the type that make it up: A bunch of little cliques either based on church affiliation, family clans, side of town you live on, etc. If you are not born and bred here and do not try to affiliate with one of the above in a pretty involved way you will never adjust to the 'Burg' in any way, shape, or form. Trust me.

Now I reside in Charlotte and the grass is greener!! For me!

Old 11-06-2009, 07:32 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post

If I would add a third group - would I be completely out of line?
This crowd that sometimes overlaps with the Liberty/TRBC crowd but it is quite large in this area, families with a hard working blue collar background who are very proud of their Southern heritage, their southern accent, “Heritage, Not Hate” t-shirts are second nature and enjoys hunting, target shooting, fishing, entertainment such as The Grand Ole Opry, Grandpa Jones, Jerry Clower, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy and also loves motor sport and wrestling.

They seem to be ignored by the Peakland/Boonsbor people to the extent that many Peakland/Boonsbor folks almost seem to proclaim that they do not exist, yet to me, they seem to be the backbone of Lynchburg and represents a very significant procentage of this town.

Any thoughts? Am I out of line?

Old 11-06-2009, 08:43 AM

Quote:
If I would add a third group - would I be completely out of line?
This crowd that sometimes overlaps with the Liberty/TRBC crowd but it is quite large in this area, families with a hard working blue collar background who are very proud of their Southern heritage, their southern accent, “Heritage, Not Hate” t-shirts are second nature and enjoys hunting, target shooting, fishing, entertainment such as The Grand Ole Opry, Grandpa Jones, Jerry Clower, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Bill Engvall, Larry the Cable Guy and also loves motor sport and wrestling.

They seem to be ignored by the Peakland/Boonsbor people to the extent that many Peakland/Boonsbor folks almost seem to proclaim that they do not exist, yet to me, they seem to be the backbone of Lynchburg and represents a very significant procentage of this town.

Any thoughts? Am I out of line?
No man, you are not out of line, that niche is definitely the backbone and exist at every corner. Goes with the territory!

lol......Grand Ol Opry and Grandpa Jones! Haven't heard those names in awhile

Old 11-06-2009, 08:59 AM

506 posts, read 1,402,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cymach View Post
lol......Grand Ol Opry and Grandpa Jones! Haven't heard those names in awhile
Big favorites with my in-laws!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:23 PM

I forgot the third group! You're right.

And these basic cliques exist in just about any Southern city!

Old 11-06-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Big favorites with my in-laws!
Sorry, I've been laughing my ass off all afternoon on this!

Old 11-06-2009, 03:15 PM

I love Jeff Foxworthy, the rest of the Blue Collar Comedy tour, my Southern Heritage, accent and country music!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM

I have absolutely nothing against the south...I'm still here. I love the southern people and lot of great places in the south.

I just never got into Lynchburg. Too small, little or nothing to do unless you are raising a family or are heavily involved in one of the cliques. And even if I took a chance on one of those groups for the sake of meeting people, as an outsider, would probably be accepted only up to a point. That's a tale I heard from almost every non-Lynchburgian I knew while there. One guy I knew, very friendly and outgoing dude, was there 14 years and no friends.

Phew!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area