Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area
 [Register]
Roanoke area Roanoke - Salem area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,531 times

Advertisements

I moved here almost a year ago and noticed that as a single middle-aged person, it's been a little challenging to make friends and connect with like-minded folks. I'm not an active church-goer and my job doesn't lend itself to meeting a lot of coworkers with similar interests. What I discovered recently was a Meetup.com group (Lynchburg Social Club) that has really helped me get out and meet new people doing activities I enoy (walking, festivals, dining out, so far). I highly recommend that group for any of you out there in the same boat as me! I've noticed though that the group has over 100 members and the organizers work hard to post events yet very few attend if at all. The Roanoke Meetups are much more active--Any of you "seasoned" Lynchburg residents know why this might be in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 11:54 AM

134 posts, read 332,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomWhereIam View Post
What I discovered recently was a Meetup.com group (Lynchburg Social Club) that has really helped me get out and meet new people doing activities I enjoy (walking, festivals, dining out, so far). I highly recommend that group for any of you out there in the same boat as me! I've noticed though that the group has over 100 members and the organizers work hard to post events yet very few attend if at all. The Roanoke Meetups are much more active--Any of you "seasoned" Lynchburg residents know why this might be in this area?
I really like this group, too! Back in the Spring I went to several events, but, for me, my Summer schedule and commitments made it hard for me to get to anything (not to mention the scalding heat). Now that Summer is winding back down and the kids are heading back to school, I hope to get back out and join them again, but word does need to get out: Lynchburg Social Club (Lynchburg, VA) - Meetup.

I think it's hard to compare LSC to ROSC and the Five o'clock meetups groups because they pull in people from all over the NRV and here, and they have also been around at least 5 years. Lynchburg Social Club is only a year old (started Aug. 2011), most members appear to be from within 30 miles of Lynchburg, and I think the current organizer has only been "running" it since January.

Plus ROSC and 5-O have MULTIPLE widespread planners and hosts, including planners in Christiansburg, Blacksburg, Floyd, Rocky Mount and here in Lynchburg. For now, LSC only has 3. Keep attending and keep spreading the word, and hopefully I'll see you at an event soon!

Old 09-04-2012, 07:46 AM

60 posts, read 113,612 times
To chime in on great food in Lynchburg- La Villa on Timberlake road next to Putt-Putt is the best Italian in town. Mike the owner is such a great person- moved here from New York I believe, and he's done his part to become a part of great Lynchburg businesses. Wonderful staff, great prices for the quality of food, and a family atmosphere. Definitely hit this place up

Old 09-04-2012, 05:13 PM

895 posts, read 2,098,959 times
Never have eaten there- I usually stick with Mangia or Isabella's. They did just get some very favorable press regarding their latest expansion.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,121,202 times
I went to Liberty years ago and lived in Lynchburg for a year after graduation. I liked the area well enough. The Rivermont/Boonsboro areas are beautiful. The mountains are nearby. I had a good group of friends. We'd go to Roanoke on occasional day trips when we wanted something different. I have many, many fond memories of Lynchburg. That being said, I saw absolutely no future for myself there, career-wise, plus I craved living somewhere big and crowded and busy. I packed up my car and moved to Philadelphia. I've never regretted that decision.

I'll never say anything bad about Lynchburg. It set the scene for a very important and transformative part of my life. I'm not sure Liberty would approve of the direction of that transformation, but it is what it is.

I wish Lynchburg the best of luck!!

Old 09-09-2013, 09:32 PM

3 posts, read 4,100 times
Lynchburg is a nice and peaceful place. Since you interested in Liberty University this is a great place to live. It is not a competitive place like other big city. The weather here is OK, in winter Lynchburg do have snow, but maybe 8-9 times per season. In the Fall the power went out for couple days and it came back on due to storm. In the summer is super super hot!!!!!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:04 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,136,148 times
I spent a year in Lynchburg at Lynchburg College and hated it.

The good things were the scenery (fall is stunning), the mountains, and close proximity to snow skiing (Wintergreen). Winter was the pits and Spring was cold.

I agree Boonsboro and Rivermont are pretty. Loved Trotters Bloody Mary!

Don't know about the locals, my friends were all from the northeast. As a South Carolinian, I didn't find Lynchburg really southern.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:28 PM

137 posts, read 218,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3Numb3rs View Post
To chime in on great food in Lynchburg- La Villa on Timberlake road next to Putt-Putt is the best Italian in town. Mike the owner is such a great person- moved here from New York I believe, and he's done his part to become a part of great Lynchburg businesses. Wonderful staff, great prices for the quality of food, and a family atmosphere. Definitely hit this place up
Will keep this place in mind. Thanks.

Old 01-13-2014, 06:29 PM

895 posts, read 2,098,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgeman340 View Post
Lynchburg is downright awful. There is nothing to do, no decent restaurants, no arts or culture (other than Christian rock and Blue Grass). The infrastructure is deplorable. Downtown is abandoned. If you are completely happy with tending to the kids and 1980's tech cable TV, maybe you can survive. But I HAVE to get out to Richmond or DC every weekend just to keep from slipping into a coma!
Prozac will help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Roanoke area