Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:56 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,722,715 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTaxedInNY View Post
I wonder how many threads you can use the term "sweeping generalizations" As long as you believe what you read, that's all that matters
When that is all your arguments consist of, that is all I can say. When you make an argument that has sustenance, then things will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,807 times
Although posters like Garmin are REALLLLLLLY pro-Rochester, they are at least willing to defend their assertions, and respond to arguments that others present against their claims. Posters like the one I was referring to will make some absurd statement, and as soon as someone responds they are gone and off to the next thread where this process will repeat itself. When it comes down to it, I'm just as "pro-Rochester" as anyone here--read my posts and you will see this--but certain people in here do such a poor job of defending Rochester, that they end up making it look WORSE than the people criticizing it!!!!

Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM

707 posts, read 1,467,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ive8ight5ive View Post
As I'm sure everyone on this board knows, that video doesn't even BEGIN to depict how rough some areas in Rochester truly are. I'd LOVE to know what cities you've lived in where the 'ghettos' are "MUCH WORSE" than certain areas in Rochester. Don't even think about mentioning Tampa--having lived there for 2 years, I have seen the most dangerous areas in the entire city, and to be honest, the only reason I knew they were 'bad areas' is because people told me. That is not to say that these areas aren't dangerous, but compared to Rochester, they simply don't look like they are.

I only mention Tampa because I remember reading in your posts that you live there (or have lived there). If you can tell me you've also lived in Detroit or Camden or something, then by all means, just let me know!

A LOT of Rochester is very safe. But because our crime is so confined into comparatively small areas, our 'bad' sections are REALLY bad--just as bad as anywhere in America. If you honestly believe that the worst areas in Rochester "aren't that bad" you've either: A) never actually seen them or B) refuse to compromise your blind allegiance to Rochester.
You lived in Tampa for 2 years, Ive lived here for 5, There are areas in Tampa that are worse than Rochester and look worse than Rochester. I also lived in Trenton NJ during the Summer Times for 2 years. When my father had custody of me as a child I lived on Emerson St on the weekend and his mother lived on Avenue D and his sister on Norton St. So yes I have seen the bad areas of Rochester and know of plenty of places in Tampa, Orlando and Trenton worse than those streets.

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Tampa, Orlando, NYC, Philly, Dallas, Memphis, Richmond, Kansas City, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami and Cinncianti Are on that list, NYC is the only NY neighborhood.

Other Lists:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
http://streetknowledge.wordpress.com...ets-in-the-us/

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
You lived in Tampa for 2 years, Ive lived here for 5, There are areas in Tampa that are worse than Rochester and look worse than Rochester. I also lived in Trenton NJ during the Summer Times for 2 years. When my father had custody of me as a child I lived on Emerson St on the weekend and his mother lived on Avenue D and his sister on Norton St. So yes I have seen the bad areas of Rochester and know of plenty of places in Tampa, Orlando and Trenton worse than those streets.

25 Most Dangerous Neighborhoods - WalletPop

Tampa, Orlando, NYC, Philly, Dallas, Memphis, Richmond, Kansas City, Baltimore, Jacksonville, Miami and Cinncianti Are on that list, NYC is the only NY neighborhood.

Other Lists:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
FBI Lists 25 Most Dangerous Streets in the US « STREET KNOWLEDGE MEDIA

ahahahah right...okay name the most rough looking areas in tampa and/or orlando and i will pull it up on google maps streetview; i will then do the same for Rochester, take it to the city vs city poll, and i can guarantee an OVERWHELMING majority will tell u rochester looks worse.

Last edited by Yac; 10-22-2010 at 05:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2010, 09:36 PM

amelia ave & tampa st - Google Maps theres the tampa intersection from the website you provided. check out all the surrounding areas.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...ed=0CBYQ8gEwAA
theres a comparison from Rochester; go down all of mark St. and any of the surrounding areas; and this isnt even CLOSE to how bad it gets in Rochester

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=...-8&sa=N&tab=wl
there's 100's i could link u to that look much worse than any you will find in tampa; those are just two i found after 2 minutes of searching; and i specifically made sure not to include the notoriously bad areas that are always mentioned (avenue D, conkey ave, etc.)

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 09-21-2010 at 09:50 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 PM

I'm not even going to waste any more time with this pointless debate; even the gentrified areas in Rochester look far worse than anywhere in Tampa.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
ahahahah right...okay name the most rough looking areas in tampa and/or orlando and i will pull it up on google maps streetview; i will then do the same for Rochester, take it to the city vs city poll, and i can guarantee an OVERWHELMING majority will tell u rochester looks worse.
I was simply providing links and facts, you do not need to take attitude and be arrogant and ignorant and you obviously have not been to different parts of the country, as someone whos traveled to San Fran, Orlando, Jacksonville, Camden, Anchorage, Miami, Atlanta, Savannah, Charlotte, Birmingham, Sioux Falls and has lived in Tampa, Trenton, Rochester and even Toronto I can name about 100 places in all of those cities that look much worse than Rochester. If you are so Pro-Rochester why do you defend it so ignorantly?

Last edited by cheerbaby112; 09-21-2010 at 11:17 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerbaby112 View Post
I was simply providing links and facts, you do not need to take attitude and be arrogant and ignorant and you obviously have not been to different parts of the country, as someone whos traveled to San Fran, Orlando, Jacksonville, Camden, Anchorage, Miami, Atlanta, Savannah, Charlotte, Birmingham, Sioux Falls and has lived in Tampa, Trenton, Rochester and even Toronto I can name about 100 places in all of those cities that look much worse than Rochester. If you are so Pro-Rochester why do you defend it so ignorantly?

LOL. hereeeeeeee she gooooooesssss.

like i said, i am very familiar with orlando and tampa, so please "name about 100 places in those cities that look much worse", and then we will pull them up on google streetview and see if your right. I already compared the "most dangerous neighborhood in tampa" link to random streets in Rochester, and it wasn't even as bad as those.

better yet, just drop it lol you are exhausting.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 09-21-2010 at 11:40 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
LOL. hereeeeeeee she gooooooesssss.

like i said, i am very familiar with orlando and tampa, so please "name about 100 places in those cities that look much worse", and then we will pull them up on google streetview and see if your right. I already compared the "most dangerous neighborhood in tampa" link to random streets in Rochester, and it wasn't even as bad as those.

better yet, just drop it lol you are exhausting.

Please talk like an ADULT (if you are over the age of 18) and not type with a thousand elongated letters, it's annoying, I was just simply stating a fact that there are plenty of worse places than Rochester. I am not going to sit here and name places because you are so obviously ignorant and have actually never spent time in ANY of those areas.

Old 09-21-2010, 11:57 PM

lol i just got done explaining to you that i lived in one of them for 2 years (and visited orlando numerous times while living in tampa). and hate to break it to ya, but it would have taken less time to name ONE street or intersection in tampa or orlando than it did for you to type out the nonsense you just wasted my time with. so, clearly you cant think of any that look worse (dont feel bad, because THERE AREN'T ANY).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area