Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 07:44 AM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times

Advertisements

Looking for a relatively safe area that is hip and cool in Rochester. I grew up in Greece, not a fan of suburbia. Right now live in Queens NYC and I know there is nothing like NYC in Rochester, it's a different city. Have a wife and 7 month old so it has to be low crime areas. Love places like Elmwood, Allentown, Lower East Side NYC. Some grit, some art, some cafes, but also some cool places to just chill with a baby. Noise isn't a huge concern since my family can deal with the noise of Queens and a hospital right by. Any ideas of areas and what to search for on Craigslist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,721,377 times
Monroe ave, Park ave, South Wedge. Monroe will have more grit and is the least safe(but still safe) and has everything you need. Park ave will have everything you need and will be nicer. South Wedge also has everything you want and has more of a hipster vibe.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:17 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,327,907 times
Park Ave, Monroe Ave area, Neighborhood of the Arts (NOTA) and the South Wedge would fit your criteria. Most places in the SE City, really. I'm sure you'd be happy in each of those areas, though schools may end up being a problem your run into as your child gets older. They're terrible in the city.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 AM

93,455 posts, read 124,120,588 times
If you go with the SE Quarter of the city, look into nearby charter schools or if you go public, look into Francis Parker Elementary. It has good test scores and is the best elementary school in the RCSD. It can be done, but many people do not know or look. If you decide to stay, look into School of the Arts, charters that go up to 12th grade, privates and perhaps(big maybe really) select programs at Wilson Magnet.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:05 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,143,701 times
Is public transportation anything reliable in Rochester? Also what type of rents for 2 bedrooms are typical?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:27 AM

205 posts, read 456,722 times
I live in Park Ave / East Ave. We selected this neighborhood because we moved here from Washington, DC - living in Capitol Hill. We had the same desires as you. Looking for an "Urban" feel with local / walkable amenities and a sense of community. Yet, with two small kids, needed a safe place to live. We feel that we found all that and more in Rochester (particularly in the Park / East Ave area). While many (including those on this forum) will bad-mouth the city. We are very happy here after almost 3 years.

In my opinion, the South Wedge and Neighborhood of the Arts and Monroe Ave are the MOST trendy / hip / urban feeling. However, they come with all you would expect from that type of environment. We went with Park / East because it is slightly safer - but that also means it's a little quieter / less exciting.

Hope that all helps.

Old 12-06-2011, 06:55 AM

169 posts, read 476,581 times
For a two bedroom in Park Ave area you should expect to pay in the range of $750 to $1,000 plus utilities, depending on the amenities. Most apartments are located in early 20th century mansions that have been divided into two, three or four apartment houses. If you find a true two bedroom for less than $700-$750+, take a good look before you sign a lease. A similar apartment will cost about $ 100 to $150 less in the southwedge (expect $650 to $850 range).

Old 12-07-2011, 01:25 AM

120 posts, read 340,435 times
I'm going to echo what everyone else says as far as areas. They all have walkability. Your child is young and you are talking about renting so I wouldn't worry about schools yet.

That being said I live in the city and have 2 school age children. If you fall in love with the city there are viable options for schools in spite of what many may say.

As for public transportation it depends on where you live and where you're trying to go. I live in the city, Northeast, and when I worked downtown I took the bus. Now I work in the suburbs so I drive. I can get the bus and have in a pinch but it takes too long, for me, to do it on a regular basis.

Good Luck!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:11 PM

350 posts, read 1,091,305 times
Hip and trendy, PLUS safety really puts you in the Park Ave area. Cobbs Hill would also be a good choice - it's right near Park Ave, but closer to Brighton (and you have Cobbs Hill Park right there which would be nice). Monroe Ave and Southwedge are also hip/trendy, but definitely not with the same safety factor as Park Ave.

Another great area to consider is the Corn Hill area - more upscale, rather than "hip", but still with a trendy urban feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area