Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 01:39 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWRocks View Post
Actually, the Census reports as of 2012, 1,057,000 for metro Rochester. A gain of 3,000 from 2010. Even the city gained 300 from years 2010-2011.

But what's even better is that Rochester basically is within an hour of 3 million people. From Rochester you can easily spend a day or night in an adjacent city and enjoy it's offerings and still be about an hour from home. Think about it. If you actually lived in a city of 3 million, it would still take up to an hour to get to a show, or dinner or whatever anyway.
I posted Rochester's stats above. I said it had around a million which 1,057,000 is.

There's not enough money in the world for me to live in a city 3 million people. Atlanta doesn't have 3 million and the traffic there is NUTS! It's a migraine in the making. No thanks!

Old 11-26-2012, 02:14 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,726,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyf View Post
I didn't say people don't travel to those places. The things you mentioned are "attractions" that I would include in a description of the area if someone were visiting or considering moving here.

Statistics say that on average, most people work within 20 miles of home. Much of our other stuff (shopping, recreation, etc) is done close to home as well. I'm not saying people don't venture outside their 20 mile radius but for the majority of us, much of our day to day lives are spent close to home.

Notice the words "majority" and "much of". In other words, there are exceptions so don't tell me "I live in Rochester and work in Buffalo . . . " I understand that. There are exceptions, but most of us go to work and come home. Our kids' school is close by. Their friends are close by. Our activities are centered around where we live. Whenever possible, we choose things close to home.

Again, since most people don't/can't spend a majority of their time on the slopes or hiking Letchworth, I consider those "attractions" that don't really factor in to day to day life in Rochester.

In general terms, if somebody asks about moving/living here, you're gonna give a general description of the area, Wegmans, local schools, relatively short commute times even during rush hour, etc. Lyons and Albion are probably not mentioned.

So for statistical purposes, the government can choose whichever area it wants, my entire point is, that for practical purposes, that area is somewhat meaningless for us. The government has a lot of terms for a lot of things. When has the government made any sense of anything? What has the government done efficiently? Who cares what the government calls what.
Yea but does the whole 20 minute thing apply to people living in the outlaying counties? Aside from a few people that work for universities in small college towns, the majority of the people I know who live in the country commute to Monroe County for work. Getting large parcels for cheap is a huge factor for many of these people moving to places such as Wayne and Livingston counties.
Conversely, most people living in Monroe county spend no time in the ghetto northeastern neighborhoods of the city of Rochester. Should that not be included either?

Old 11-26-2012, 02:18 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,651,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
Yea but does the whole 20 minute thing apply to people living in the outlaying counties? Aside from a few people that work for universities in small college towns, the majority of the people I know who live in the country commute to Monroe County for work.
The people who owned my house before more each traveled far more than 20 minutes to work each day. She worked for Cornell and he worked in Rochester. They commuted from Geneva every day. A lot of people around here have commutes likes that.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM

466 posts, read 983,527 times
This has to be the dumbest debate I've probably ever read. If Rochester's metro area is somehow wrong, that apparently means almost every metro in the country is wrong as well.

I have friends who live in Wayne and Livingston counties, and they very much consider themselves Rochestarians. In fact, I've traveled out of state with them prior, and they respond with "Rochester" when conversation comes up about where they're from. Not only that, but one of Rochester's main suburbs (and most popular mall) is located in Ontario county.

This isn't up for debate. Rochester has a legitimate metro of 1 million people.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM

77 posts, read 112,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colton821 View Post
This has to be the dumbest debate I've probably ever read. If Rochester's metro area is somehow wrong, that apparently means almost every metro in the country is wrong as well.

I have friends who live in Wayne and Livingston counties, and they very much consider themselves Rochestarians. In fact, I've traveled out of state with them prior, and they respond with "Rochester" when conversation comes up about where they're from. Not only that, but one of Rochester's main suburbs (and most popular mall) is located in Ontario county.

I never said Rochester's metro area was wrong.

My point is that "Rochester Metro" is a statistical definition created for census purposes.

Once again, before I am accused of comparing Rochester to Manhattan or Atlanta: the five county "Rochester Metro" is for census purposes "The Rochester, New York Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), as defined by the United States Census Bureau, is an area consisting of five counties . . ."

If someone is moving to Rochester/Monroe County, and they ask about living here, you most certainly do not extoll the virtues of Livingston County (I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with Livingston County). They probably do not give a crap what is included in the census definition of what "Rochester metro" is or is not.

The fact that the metro area (as defined by the govt) includes certain other counties does not matter to ones everyday life in Rochester.

I find it laughable that people who live in Livingston County consider themselves Rochesterians. They might say they live here because someone out of state might actually know of Rochester as opposed to Geneseo or Mount Morris (or wherever). I live the same distance from Dansville as I do from Clarence. Should I tell people I'm a Buffalonian?

Victor, being right on the border of Monroe County is understandably referred to as a "suburb of Rochester", but a town in Livingston County a suburb of Rochester? Nice try.

If you find this debate so dumb, you are more than welcome to not read any further and you certainly should not waste any of your time with another response.

Old 11-28-2012, 03:43 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:

Basically and even on this forum, people have been offered or have been told to consider places in other counties in the metro area. Even in major metros or other metros, it is not uncommon to have suburbs in counties or states different than that of the city center of the metro.

Old 11-28-2012, 04:14 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,726,160 times
Quote:

My point is that "Rochester Metro" is a statistical definition created for census purposes.

Once again, before I am accused of comparing Rochester to Manhattan or Atlanta: the five county "Rochester Metro" is for census purposes "The Rochester, New York Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA), as defined by the United States Census Bureau, is an area consisting of five counties . . ."

If someone is moving to Rochester/Monroe County, and they ask about living here, you most certainly do not extoll the virtues of Livingston County (I am NOT saying there is anything wrong with Livingston County). They probably do not give a crap what is included in the census definition of what "Rochester metro" is or is not.

The fact that the metro area (as defined by the govt) includes certain other counties does not matter to ones everyday life in Rochester.

I find it laughable that people who live in Livingston County consider themselves Rochesterians. They might say they live here because someone out of state might actually know of Rochester as opposed to Geneseo or Mount Morris (or wherever). I live the same distance from Dansville as I do from Clarence. Should I tell people I'm a Buffalonian?

Victor, being right on the border of Monroe County is understandably referred to as a "suburb of Rochester", but a town in Livingston County a suburb of Rochester? Nice try.

If you find this debate so dumb, you are more than welcome to not read any further and you certainly should not waste any of your time with another response.

If somebody is moving to the area and asking about large parcels of land and country living, Livingston or Wayne counties are what I would recommend. I would not recommend Monroe county because for the most part, it does not offer that. And the areas that do offer lots of land are expensive.
There are plenty areas inside Monroe county that don't matter in the every day life to somebody in Monroe County.
I do see the point though. As somebody who has lived in the city and direct suburbs, I do not pay attention to what goes on in the outlying counties. When there is a news story about a "rural" situation in Livingston or Orleans county, I change the channel.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,403,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
If somebody is moving to the area and asking about large parcels of land and country living, Livingston or Wayne counties are what I would recommend. I would not recommend Monroe county because for the most part, it does not offer that. And the areas that do offer lots of land are expensive.
There are plenty areas inside Monroe county that don't matter in the every day life to somebody in Monroe County.
I do see the point though. As somebody who has lived in the city and direct suburbs, I do not pay attention to what goes on in the outlying counties. When there is a news story about a "rural" situation in Livingston or Orleans county, I change the channel.
So, maybe it is a matter of wording, as a person could be talking about the continually urbanized or Greater Rochester area versus the MSA. For those that don't know, a metro area is defined by a certain amount of commuting interchange between that urbanized area and the counties involved. Meaning, that there are enough people that inter the Rochester Urbanized area for work, that it is essentially what makes the Rochester Metro Statistical Area. I guess another way to put it is that employment in the immediate or urbanized Rochester area feeds the proper portion of people of the outer counties for them to be a part of the metro area.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:44 PM

466 posts, read 983,527 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter if you find it laughable or you disagree. Who are you to question what a resident in Livingston county thinks? Or in Wayne?

I do find it dumb, and I do have every right to say that I think so.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM

77 posts, read 112,790 times
Quote:
It doesn't matter if you find it laughable or you disagree. Who are you to question what a resident in Livingston county thinks? Or in Wayne?

I do find it dumb, and I do have every right to say that I think so.
I don't question your right to voice your opinion. I only wonder why you are continuing to waste your time participating in the "dumbest debate you've ever read".

I also have every right to say what I think. I don't really care if somebody in Livingston or Wayne thinks they're a resident of Rochester. It doesn't offend me. I just think it's inaccurate.

I'll state my point again:

These forums are full of questions about people relocating to different states. They ask questions about such and such city. Many of them want to live close to where they will be working. They don't care what comprises a "metro area". I'm not questioning what makes up certain metro areas or that what comprises any particular metro area is incorrect.

Does it really matter if Letchworth Park is included in "Rochester Metro". Is Letchworth any more "available" than Montezuma just because Montezuma is not entirely within the "Rochester metro"?

Think about it, if you are relocating, you are concerned with housing, schools (if you have kids), transportation, taxes, climate, local entertainment, night life, restaurants, whatever. It's pretty meaningless where the US census bureau draws lines on a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area